Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSA Guys.

Options
  • 26-09-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello,

Aiming this one at all the professional installers on here. With regards to equipment what are you guys using in the republic? Up here we are used to the Galaxy and Scantronic ranges mostly with the odd Guardall and Aritech thrown in for good measure!

I must say i really like the idea of the PSA, from what i can gather they are keen to keep the cowboys from making a mess! I understand that the Intruder and CCTV is regulated but what about access control systems? is that regulated at the minute or is it going to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hello,

Aiming this one at all the professional installers on here. With regards to equipment what are you guys using in the republic? Up here we are used to the Galaxy and Scantronic ranges mostly with the odd Guardall and Aritech thrown in for good measure!

I must say i really like the idea of the PSA, from what i can gather they are keen to keep the cowboys from making a mess! I understand that the Intruder and CCTV is regulated but what about access control systems? is that regulated at the minute or is it going to be?

HKC would be the most popular brand used, other systems would be SPC, Risco, Visonic, Pyronix, Aritect..

I like the idea of the PSA also but to be honest I don't believe they can police the industry.
    There are too many rouge traders still out there installing alarm systems.
    CCTV and Access Control will be covered by license from October. Again, I cant see how they will be able to police this either. If you look at the PSA website all they seem to be convicting anyone of is more to do with security guards acting illegally. I have had plenty of people asking for a price for an alarm system only to be told that there friend or sparks can do it cheaper. Of course they can, they dont have to pay for the license. To be honest it will be the same for CCTV and Access control.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 belfast security

Same problem here unfortunately Altor.
    Ive just stuck a sticker on the van saying "alarms joinery, sparking, I.T, furniture removal" :p joke!
    Although was speaking to our inspector the other day and he pointed out that it simply takes a phone call to PSA to report the rouge trader-(dont get me wrong im sure there are plenty of guys who are more than capable at doing the job but dont have the license- its just a bit disheartening when a man in a van is undercutting and doing a terrible job at the same time!

You dublin based?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The PSA is a good idea in principle. In practice they seem afraid to chase prosecutions. I have sent them plenty of information on plenty of occasions & it all amounts to nothing more than a warning at best.

Reporting it is fine.
    As far as I can see they want it on a plate, 100% before they will even consider bringing it to court. They could do more for the industry to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Psa is a great idea on paper but in practice it's not working when it comes to the electronic security side of it.
    A quick read of their conference report highlights that things will not get any better. The certification is a joke and lacks any back bone, kind of similar to nsi and ssiab situation but a lot worse
    Tbh most guys down here would not know what to do with a G2 galaxy never mind a G3, hence the popularity of the hkc

• Advertisement

Well hopefully it gets sorted out eventually! I had a quick look at the HKC, made in Ireland? Do they have a version compliant with PD6662? or is it only EN compliant?

I have heard from a few that its common practice to install window contacts in Dublin. Are you installing inertia contacts or are they just reeds?

Well hopefully it gets sorted out eventually! I had a quick look at the HKC, made in Ireland? Do they have a version compliant with PD6662? or is it only EN compliant?

Yes it's available in UK but Alarm Supplies in Belfast don't or can't stock it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have heard from a few that its common practice to install window contacts in Dublin. Are you installing inertia contacts or are they just reeds?

Most times its inertias on all ground floor & accessible windows.

We are only waiting 6 years so far. Introducing the license for CCTV and Access control when they cant police the Alarms side of things is not going to make life any easier for us or them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Belfast Security,
    Firstly welcome onboard these pages, just on the PSA. They are part of The Department of Justice and are a very handy way of raising revenue for the dept.

As nice and all as the staff are and I have no issue with them whatsoever, all they do is collect indirect tax. What do we get back? Nothing.

I was thinking this to myself actually recently while listening to a Safe Electric add on the radio. The general public down here have no idea of the PSA, also they do not know that they would be committing an offence by employing someone who is not licensed to install an alarm or soon to be CCTV or Access Control System.
    I expected them to be all over the airwaves informing everyone of these new laws etc,back when they came into existance, but it never happened.

Cheers Kub!

oh right didnt realise it was actually part of the justice department!!!! Would be good to have something set up like that here, provided it worked of course!

I guess its a good idea with the windows, probably just down to cost up here and thats the way its stayed! who knows! but I had a lady from Dublin think we were mad when we didnt suggest these to her!!! all sorted now though :)

On a different note can you guys not maybe look into a bit of advertising on your own? A couple of bill boards / facebook pages / and a bit of radio would at least get the message out! I know you would be helping people who didnt contribute but at least your names would be on the boards to!

Good idea Belfast, most of us guys on here (and I am generalising) are from what I gather sole traders/ smallish business owners. As such we do not have a national body, there is the Irish Security Industry Association, but they seem to be made up of bigger companies and manned guarding/ Cit business's.
    Very easy of course to pass the book, but I for one would have expected them to take up the advertising when the PSA failed to do so. I am just judging by the companies involved in the ISIA and would conclude that they are the ones with the deeper pockets.
    Either way unlicensed installers probably do not bother the bigger companies so why would they bother I suppose. I mean its not too often that we see blank bell boxes on large commercial premises.
    I am not at all refering to any of my fellow contributors/ engineers on here when I say this, but with this country the way it is now financially speaking, it seems to be every man to his own, now.
    I do recall a few years ago an installer in the midlands was trying to get a group of us smaller companies together to put a repersentative onto the board of The PSA, but despite his best efforts etc, it never happened.

Just on your query re inertia sensors. Approx 12 years ago when I had a cushy number as a service engineer, in a past life, the company I worked for employed a chap from London, he had spent a long time working in the business over there. I will never forget the look on his face when he discovered that we still use inertia shock sensors. They are still my first choice, when married up with reeds. Especially from the part guard and detection before trespass advantages.

We got a mention on 98FM today re the CCTV and Access control.
    No mention of alarms as usual in the ad.

If my last inspector is anything to go by the CCTV inspections should be fun.
    Spent most of his time checking the tampers on 2 grade 1 systems.
    And arguing why 1.5 flex must be protected by a 3 amp fuse. He couldn't explain why though.;)

If the control panel is connected to the fuse board on its own breaker it does not need a fused spur.

altor wrote: »
    If the control panel is connected to the fuse board on its own breaker it does not need a fused spur.

I've had that argument with a couple of them before as well....bash-head.gif

They really have to get over the old standard and start looking at the new one ;)

Hard for them to do that when they don't seem to actually understand the reasoning behind anything they ask for.

Well thats what we are here for..

• Advertisement

Yeah , maybe we should introduce some of them to Boards.ie ....
    Oh wait... We did that before , didn't we...:rolleyes:

Thats true. Shame they had to go through all the bother just to get an answer to a question that they should know since they are involved in the standards :o

We got a mention on 98FM today re the CCTV and Access control.
    No mention of alarms as usual in the ad.

Altor, I was shocked when I heard it this morning. Infairness to The PSA I have to thank them for this. God knows they get a lot of grief in these parts.
    Obviously it is a national campaign, pity about the alarms though.

The smallest breaker you can get is 6 amp, the regs "used" to say that it had to be protected by a 3 amp fuse.

Also the reason for the neon spur at the panel is that you have a visual indication that there is power going to the panel.

The fuse is only protecting the cable not the panel. The panel will be protected by its own fuse which will be lower again.

kub wrote: »
    Altor, I was shocked when I heard it this morning. Infairness to The PSA I have to thank them for this. God knows they get a lot of grief in these parts.

It is really because it is the first time I have heard any ad of its type on the radio. It is about time they did more with ads on the telly, newspapers and so on. Oh yes and a few more published convictions would not go astray as a real deterrent. Although if the stories I have heard are anything to go by it will be a long time before we see anymore convictions..

Jnealon wrote: »
    The smallest breaker you can get is 6 amp, the regs "used" to say that it had to be protected by a 3 amp fuse.

Also the reason for the neon spur at the panel is that you have a visual indication that there is power going to the panel.

I like the way you said "used" to say :)
    I would still install the 3 amp fused neon spur.

Lads glad to hear there was a shout out on the radio!

Seriously would consider doing your own bit on the bill boards!!! others will get the benefit sure but it will be your name on the sign that the consultants etc will be seeing!

As far as inspectors go...................... ah forget it!

Lads glad to hear there was a shout out on the radio!

Seriously would consider doing your own bit on the bill boards!!! others will get the benefit sure but it will be your name on the sign that the consultants etc will be seeing!

As far as inspectors go...................... ah forget it!

To be honest Belfast Security, costs are enough each year without having to spend more to deter others for the PSA. It should be them doing more inspections plus more advertisements for all aspects of the industry, not just for the CCTV and Access Control. Not us. I do agree it is a good idea for us to do something but for us to do it and others to benefit, that is not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

kub wrote: »
    I'm just a customer starting to find out about Alarm systems and possibly automatic gates in the future. I heard these ads for the PSA last week and looked it up today. But from what I can see their website seems to be just trying to get companies to register. There is nothing on it about Customers or 'Click here to see a list of registered installers', which you would imagine there would be given that they are telling us to use only registered installers...
    I've got a list from boards.ie for alarm installers, but any website I have been on I haven't seen on any of them (except 1) that mentions that they are PSA certified.

I know nothing about it, but to me it all seems to be just in the planning stage. Maybe in a few years it is something we will all be familiar with???

Advertisement