Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSA Guys.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The PSA site does have a list of all licenced companys in the relevant. It is now a legal requirement for a customer to employ a licenced installer to install or maintain their alarm system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

ecaf wrote: »
    I'm just a customer starting to find out about Alarm systems and possibly automatic gates in the future. I heard these ads for the PSA last week and looked it up today. But from what I can see their website seems to be just trying to get companies to register. There is nothing on it about Customers or 'Click here to see a list of registered installers', which you would imagine there would be given that they are telling us to use only registered installers...
    I've got a list from boards.ie for alarm installers, but any website I have been on I haven't seen on any of them (except 1) that mentions that they are PSA certified.

I know nothing about it, but to me it all seems to be just in the planning stage. Maybe in a few years it is something we will all be familiar with???

Here you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

altor wrote: »
    Here you go.

The whole PSA thing is a money making racket full stop.

"New entrant
    The facility will consist of 3 payments of

-€1,250 payable when the application is lodged.

-€500 payable 6 months after the expiry of the existing licence.

-€500 payable 12 months after the expiry of the existing licence."

I provide KNX based systems, as part of that I can provide access control and IP based CCTV which integrates into the Homeserver system. I might install 3 systems a years with CCTV and Access control, I will now have to add €400 to the cost of these systems to cover the cost of PSA registration. Core business is not CCTV or access control, it is a building management system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

you've a few options, one being sub out the cctv and access

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Jnealon wrote: »
    you've a few options, one being sub out the cctv and access
    I don't know of any PSA contractor who can work on KNX protocol for access control. I think its a joke that I would need to employ a contractor to install to IP camera's. I provide a POE connection for the camera and they fit camera..it is just laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 farrell2121

To be honest Belfast Security, costs are enough each year without having to spend more to deter others for the PSA. It should be them doing more inspections plus more advertisements for all aspects of the industry, not just for the CCTV and Access Control. Not us. I do agree it is a good idea for us to do something but for us to do it and others to benefit, that is not going to happen.

Just wonderding in relation to the PSA, What if someone who has a criminal record, can they still hold a PSA Licence ? A little bit worrying ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Depends on what it is & how long they are in the industry I think.

KoolKid wrote: »
    The PSA site does have a list of all licenced companys in the relevant. It is now a legal requirement for a customer to employ a licenced installer to install or maintain their alarm system.

Just wondering. Can someone who is a licensed installer with a criminal record be PSA Approvied ? That would be a bit of a worry ? I think a might know one

Depends on what it is & how long they are in the industry I think.

A little bit worrying that someone with a record or their brother could be installing alarm systems ?

A little bit worrying that someone with a record or their brother could be installing alarm systems ?

There have being plenty of cases where this has happened.
    Some licenses where revoked by the PSA.

• Advertisement

There have being plenty of cases where this has happened.
    Some licenses where revoked by the PSA.

Just wondering. I know of two brothers installing alarms who both have records. would be good to know if these were revoked by PSA.

Thanks for the info.

Just wondering. I know of two brothers installing alarms who both have records. would be good to know if these were revoked by PSA.

Thanks for the info.

It would depend on what they did too. A minor offence would not prevent you getting a license.

Obviousally do not post too much detail up here. But minor offences going back to their youth would not affect their eligibility to hold a licence.

Thanks lads. You have both been really informative. Accurate information is always helpfully.!!!!

Thanks lads. You have both been really informative. Accurate information is always helpfully.!!!!

If you did want to find out then ring or contact the PSA direct.
    Here is a link to do so.

Thanks will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Surely EVERYONE applying for a PSA licence is Garda vetted . so any crime committed by these " brothers " was sorted out and mustn't have been serious .
    I won't lose sleep over it .... ðŸ˜႒

Garda vetting only came in with the PSA. If these guys were in business prior to that there would be no need anyway.
    Also there is issues with the ability to check records of non nationals or foreign records of people who may have worked abroad for long periods of time.

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Surely EVERYONE applying for a PSA licence is Garda vetted .

That is correct, Garda vetting happens every time the licence is renewed also.

That is correct, Garda vetting happens every time the licence is renewed also.

Have never been asked for fresh checks on licence renewal.
    Not unless staff has changed.

• Advertisement

Have never been asked for fresh checks on licence renewal.
    Not unless staff has changed.

It is on the renewal form, any new conviction have to be listed and a declaration has to be made.

Its a declaration of any changes , but no actual vetting....

Not that I am aware of, I will ring and ask to conform tomorrow.
    In the declaration:

I, the undersigned who have applied for a Private Security Services Licence hereby authorise An Garda Síochána to furnish to the Private Security Authority a statement that there are no convictions recorded against me in the Republic of Ireland or elsewhere, or a statement of all convictions and / or prosecutions, successful or not, pending or completed, in the State or elsewhere as the case may be.

If they did not vet us every time we made an application then whats the point of renewing the PSA licence.
    I will find out tomorrow off the PSA.

I'd be more concerned of the chap who recently broke into the curragh base and works for a security patrol company . Disgrace..
    I'd imagine that'd they'd check everyone .. I was vetted to work in a voluntary organisation surely security is a higher priority

Not that I am aware of, I will ring and ask to conform tomorrow.
    In the declaration:

I, the undersigned who have applied for a Private Security Services Licence hereby authorise An Garda Síochána to furnish to the Private Security Authority a statement that there are no convictions recorded against me in the Republic of Ireland or elsewhere, or a statement of all convictions and / or prosecutions, successful or not, pending or completed, in the State or elsewhere as the case may be.

If they did not vet us every time we made an application then whats the point of renewing the PSA licence.
    I will find out tomorrow off the PSA.

Garda vetting requires more than that.
    I have had it done a few times & you supply DOB & dates & times of all address's where you have lived. It can also take months to get back even a clean report.

Garda vetting requires more than that.
    I have had it done a few times & you supply DOB & dates & times of all address's where you have lived. It can also take months to get back even a clean report.

Yes that is the declaration that is signed under where all the information is filled out, DOB, dates and times of all address's where you have lived but you already knew that...

Now just to clear this up:

I was on to the PSA today and they have told me every application plus renewals is sent for vetting.
    The licence is issued based on previous vetting for renewals.
    If there is something that comes back after the vetting is done that prevents an installer getting a licence his licence is then revoked.

So basically everyone is vetted every time they renew or for new applicants.

For the applicant or all installers?
    I have never been asked for renewed address or info to vet all staff every year. :confused:
    If this is the case does every person that is getting checked not have to give their details and written consent for each check?
    I don't think this happens....

For the applicant or all installers?
    I have never been asked for renewed address or info to vet all staff every year. :confused:
    If this is the case does every person that is getting checked not have to give their details and written consent for each check?
    I don't think this happens....

It should be done for all, plus people who have 5% or more share in a company.
    Do you not have your employees screened every year?
    That is part of your SR40 :confused:

Have not been asked for it every year.

• Advertisement

Looks bad on the PSA if theyre not vetting properly .. Really shows that it's all money

Advertisement