Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous musicians who ended up playing with their biggest influence

Options
  • 26-09-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72,737 ✭✭✭✭

I'll get the ball rolling...Sean Yseult, former bassist with White Zombie.

One of White Zombie's biggest influences were The Cramps - Yseult was part of their final line-up before Lux Interior died (RIP).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Prince (Who looked completely off his head on something) and Michael Jackson both played with James Brown on the same stage on the same night. Not all at the same time but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Pearl Jam playing with Neil Young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Noel played on a track with Paul Mcartney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Temaz wrote: »
    Noel played on a track with Paul Mcartney

I'd say he was pretty chuffed to play with Weller, Marr, Brown and Squire too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Dunno about his biggest influence (I think he's cited that as Olivier Messiaen...) but Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead) did a split album with Krzysztof Penderecki recently enough. I think there was talk of some kind of proper collaboration too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,737 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I assume Blaze Bayley of Wolfsbane was an Iron Maiden fan before he became their frontman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

David Gilmour is a Beatles fan and played on Paul McCartneys Run Devil Run album and also played with him live (which is available on the DVD Live at The Cavern Club!).

Jeff Lynne, also a Beatles fan, played with George Harrison in the Traveling Wilburys. George Harrison was a fan of Roy Orbison who was also in The Traveling Wilburys. Actually I'm sure they were all fans of each others music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I don't know how much of an influence he was on them (I'm sure they were fans) but Johnny Marr was in Modest Mouse for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Getronicle

Dave Grohl and Led Zeppelin member John Paul Jones in Them Crooked Vultures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Doubt he's their biggest influence, but Rodrigo y Gabriella played Orion with Robert Trujillo from Metallica on stage

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Canned Heat and John Lee hooker. A white 1960s group influenced by the blues gets to play with one of their penultimate influences, John Lee Hooker. Check out the album Hooker N Heat, old blues backed by an aggressive young rock sound, fairly unique.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Gaslight Anthem ended up having Bruce Springsteen on stage with them a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Oasis having John Squire playing guitar on Champagne Supernova at Knebworth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

The Stones turn up to see Muddy Waters at Buddy Guy's blues club in Chicago. What a gig to have been at!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Slash got the chance to play live on stage with Rory Gallagher in LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Ah yes, the prime example of one of these situations is actually one of my favourite artist collaborations of all time, and the first one that popped into my head. Mike Patton (of Faith No More, Mr Bungle, Fantômas, Tomahawk, Mondo Cane, Peeping Tom, Lovage, Crudo, etc.) had first played with his biggest musical influence, the awesome John Zorn, since Zorn produced Mr Bungle's self-titled debut album in 1991, and have released over two-dozen records together since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYTqzcc-WNk
    John Lennon got to play with Chuck Berry.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM0oOTrCVuQ
    Paul Weller with Pete Townshend
    Damon Johnson and Ricky Warwick grew up as Thin Lizzy fans, now they're in the band. Brian Robertson knew the whole Eric Bell Thin Lizzy back catologue off before he joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

few members of rancid got to play with the ramones at the ramones last gig ever,must have been well chuffed

• Advertisement
Advertisement