Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

customising a rifle

Options
  • 26-09-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Good day all. whilst searching the internet for bolt action rifle in 7.62x39 i came across a very intresting rifle made by a now defunct aussi company it was in essence a lee enfield no 5 jungle carbine with a slightly modefied reciever a new barrel and a sort of adapter to allow it to accept 10 or 5 rd ak 47 mags. it is called the AIA m10. All in all it looks a smart little rifle.The downside is that they were apparently made in vietnam and of questionable quality.on doing more research i found a company in the good old usa special intrest arms that makes all the nessesary parts to convert a lee endfield into one of those above mentioned rifles so far so good it seems.My questions are first would it be easier to just have said rifle converted by a gunsmith here in ireland and have him make the parts or to have the parts shiped from america and secondly would there be legal problems converting the calibre of a rifle in this country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You could have it converted here. Why 7.62x39 what do you plan on shooting with it? you can get the CZ 527 Carbine in that caliber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Good day all. whilst searching the internet for bolt action rifle in 7.62x39 i came across a very intresting rifle made by a now defunct aussi company it was in essence a lee enfield no 5 jungle carbine with a slightly modefied reciever a new barrel and a sort of adapter to allow it to accept 10 or 5 rd ak 47 mags. it is called the AIA m10. All in all it looks a smart little rifle.The downside is that they were apparently made in vietnam and of questionable quality.on doing more research i found a company in the good old usa special intrest arms that makes all the nessesary parts to convert a lee endfield into one of those above mentioned rifles so far so good it seems.My questions are first would it be easier to just have said rifle converted by a gunsmith here in ireland and have him make the parts or to have the parts shiped from america and secondly would there be legal problems converting the calibre of a rifle in this country.

The aia rifles were junk by all accounts, made in asia but passed off as being made in oz and were expensive. look into armalon in london, they build pistol calibre rifles on the lee enfield no.4 action and are very popular for certain types of target shooting in the uk.

http://www.armalon.com/public/products

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Roawa is 100% correct - there were a handful of the AIA POS in our club until the owners got to talking and wised up. All were in 7.62x39, and all were not capable of firing a magazine-load of ammunition without hang-ups of one kind or another. This gave REAL Australian-made guns a really bad name here.

Mr Sarony of Armalon has had his ups and downs, too, but his stuff, in general, is well-thought of.

Back to the OP's question - getting some gun parts out of the USA might be a lot more difficult than you could possibly imagine these days.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭black powder colt

Well im a big fan of lee enfields and when i saw that i liked the idea. As for wanting something in 7.62x39 2 reasons really. firstly i find myself traveling to the uk alot and it would be easy for me to pick up cheap surplus ammo for it as well as for my mosin nagants and secondly im just plain curious to see how it preforms as a hunting round.It doesent have to be 7.62x39 a .223 would be ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭black powder colt

Armalon seems intresting thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement