Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Question

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Nobody can answer a question like that at this remove. It might work, it might not, or only poorly. How do you know 'coverage is good'?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Dad11

I checked the coverage map on Saorview website !

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Nobody can answer a question like that at this remove. It might work, it might not, or only poorly. How do you know 'coverage is good'?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Dad11 wrote: »

This is what RTÉNL say about the coverage checker
    Coverage

• Coverage shown is based on a rooftop aerial in good condition (indoor reception may be possible in areas with very good signal strength).
    • Coverage shown is indicative only.
    • Local environment (hills, forestry, trees, buildings, and other large obstructions) will cause coverage to vary.
    • RTÉNL recommends consultation with a local competent aerial installer to confirm coverage in your area.

http://coverage.rtenl.ie/index.html

The best advice is to test the indoor aerial but no one here can say if it'll work in your house as Peter says above

This what Saorview say about indoor aerials
    8.2 Can I Use An Indoor Portable Aerial, Rabbits Ears?

RTÉNL does not recommend the use of indoor portable aerials. They are too susceptible to localised physical and electrical interference. Terrestrial transmission of television, analogue and digital, is designed and built around rooftop reception.

It will be possible for over 50% of the population to receive SAORVIEW with an indoor portable aerial. However on a house to house basis there are many factors than impact on the effectiveness of a portable aerial. For example the orientation of your house, the location of the television in the house, the construction materials, the insulation materials, the proximity to neighbouring houses, walls and obstructions will all impact reception.

An outdoor aerial, positioned as high as possible, pointing towards the appropriate transmission site, with no local obstructions is recommended and will give the best results.

http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/RT%C3%89NL-SAORVIEW-FAQs-May-2012-Rev-7.1.pdf

Of course that is what I am going to do ! Thanks everyone!

The Cush wrote: »
    Dad11 wrote: »

This is what RTÉNL say about the coverage checker
    Coverage

• Coverage shown is based on a rooftop aerial in good condition (indoor reception may be possible in areas with very good signal strength).
    • Coverage shown is indicative only.
    • Local environment (hills, forestry, trees, buildings, and other large obstructions) will cause coverage to vary.
    • RTÉNL recommends consultation with a local competent aerial installer to confirm coverage in your area.

http://coverage.rtenl.ie/index.html

The best advice is to test the indoor aerial but no one here can say if it'll work in your house as Peter says above

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭zg3409

Argos do 14 day money back. There indoor aerials are very expensive. Some pound shops do them cheap. The cheap ones will probably work as well. If it does not work them try to bring it back to any shop. They may refund you.

I would recommend hanging it out an upstairs window on the same side as the transmitter while doing an auto scan for channels. Then if it gets any, bring it inside and see which is the best spot for minimum "freezing" and audio sqeaks. Sometimes indoor aerial can be used in attics with good results but you would probably need a longer cable in that case. As already said they don't recommend them.

• Advertisement

Happy to.report indoor Aerial works
    fantastic
    one.for all 20.00 euro
    zg3409 wrote: »
    Argos do 14 day money back. There indoor aerials are very expensive. Some pound shops do them cheap. The cheap ones will probably work as well. If it does not work them try to bring it back to any shop. They may refund you.

I would recommend hanging it out an upstairs window on the same side as the transmitter while doing an auto scan for channels. Then if it gets any, bring it inside and see which is the best spot for minimum "freezing" and audio sqeaks. Sometimes indoor aerial can be used in attics with good results but you would probably need a longer cable in that case. As already said they don't recommend them.

Advertisement