Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog's First Heat

• 26-09-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

My rottie has just turned 1 & is just having her first heat. Forgive me, I've been around animals all my life but never an un-spayed female dog, so I'm quite clueless when it comes to the heat cycle.

I've read that the bleeding happens around the middle of cycle, but she's been at it for over 2 weeks now (which, really, is ick). How much longer on average? Also, she doesn't seem at all fazed with our male neutered GSD, but now we're wondering about our spayed female Dane...there are sparks there I'd say :eek::D

So, how much longer till things calm down? We've been wanting to get her spayed but weren't sure if she'd had a cycle or was due one as we adopted her a few months ago & didn't ask the previous owners at the time. The vet will surely be getting a call from us as soon as this is over though :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It usually lasts about 3 weeks, the bleeding stopping around about the 10 day-ish mark and replaced with a white-ish discharge.
    So, if you're 2 weeks in, you've another week of all the fun to go ;), and it's then recommended that you wait until she's mid-cycle before getting her spayed. So, that'd be around 3 months from now. No harm letting her develop a little more before spaying her: male rotties (and possibly all large-breed males) should not be neutered pefore they're a year old, and although research into early spaying of females is not as advanced, I think it's better to err on the side of caution with the large breeds and wait until they're at least a few months beyond their first birthday.
    Good luck :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

I have a 4 month old female pug and the vet in the Blue Cross said I should get her spayed at 6 months. Have you guys heard differently or do you think I should wait longer than the 6 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Our vet suggested 8 months. Shes only four months aswell.

Dunny wrote: »
    Our vet suggested 8 months. Shes only four months aswell.

Ah conflicting messages. I wish there was a set rule for everything haha. I'll probably get her spayed around the 6th month mark as she has a small belly hernia (quite common in pugs) which the vet said is okay for now but can be removed when shes spayed at 6 months. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

With apologies to the OP, I'll jump into this thread too :)

Our 2 ladies (Rotty x 'Unknown Yellow Dog') are 9 months old and were due to go for the snip this week, but they got in under the wire with their first heat a few days ago and thus got a reprieve.
    Our vet is talking about doing the job next month, but this thread now has me wondering if we should give them a few more months to get themselves well settled down post-heat, and to get a bit more age and size into them?
    They're currently around 35kg.

• Advertisement

if Maggie is spayed at 6 months maybe she'll stay small forever aaaah :P

Advertisement