Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graduation Dress

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Oh, I love the first one and it would be gorgeous with your red hair:) Looks like it would be very flattering too. Pair with a killer pair of heels and you'll be stunning. Don't like the last one and undecided on the second one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

lindtee wrote: »
    Oh, I love the first one and it would be gorgeous with your red hair:) Looks like it would be very flattering too. Pair with a killer pair of heels and you'll be stunning. Don't like the last one and undecided on the second one.

My only problem with the first one is that i dont know what type fitting it is! I might order it in store and try it on! And if it isnt nice then ill return it! :) I wasnt too sure on the last one either its the back of it i dont think i could stand it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I actually love the second one and I think if you're gonna wear heels, the dipped hem wouldn't be an issue. :)

Novella wrote: »
    I actually love the second one and I think if you're gonna wear heels, the dipped hem wouldn't be an issue. :)

I like the first and second one!! See there is only so much i can take when it comes to heels so knowing me i will end up taking them up and ripping the dress :o Plus ill probably rip the dress in heels anyway!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Moved to own thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In order of my preference (1) and (2). No 3 doesn't do anything for me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

The first two are lovely!
    The third is a nice dress in itself but to be honest your robe will be billowy enough without the back of your dress being long and flowy - it'd look too fussy.
    Best advice is to go for something you'll be comfortable and not self-conscious in. If your dress is too short you might be very selfconscious in front of all the old biddies there, and if it's a really tight bodycon then you might be really conscious of your tum after you've eaten a big meal. Likewise if you don't usually wear strapless then grad may not be the day to start. Thing is, it's a really long day, and you do feel more conscious of yourself in daylight than on a night out.
    The first two there look like they'd be really comfy while looking good all day and night, plus the colours would be gorgeous with red hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I've just graduated,and I know I'll probably sound like a prude for saying this,but some of the dresses and shoes the girls wore really weren't suitable for the event!It showed that they didn't give a thought as to how the dresses would look under a gown, and they looked more dressed up for a night out than a formal ceremony.

Definitely make sure it's long enough (I'd reckon knee length). If you're climbing onto a stage to get your degree,you definitely want it to be long enough when you climb down again,otherwise the front rows will see a bit too much!The black and green dresses you linked to are lovely and would be fine for a graduation.Not sold on the dipped hem one personally.

Try and get some classy shoes too.Wedges do nothing under a gown,nice black heels (that you can walk in!!) are the way to go imo.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Have to agree with Tea-a-Maria, a conferring is a formal event. The dresses are very nice but are far more suited for later on in the night when you're heading out! Also, wearing giant heels is a serious no no at these things, so many obstacles and also (in my experience) standing for prolonged periods of time and walking here, there and yonder so a mid heel is far more suited to the event. Also, the pics will be around for years and I know the dipped hem thing is in now but it won't always be so be mindful of that not only with your outfit but with your hair and make up. Don't forget, good style never goes out of fashion.

One final thing: the dress I had for my graduation was pretty formal but very well tailored (it's LK Bennett, totes was channeling my inner Kate Middleton!) and I ended up wearing it to an interview and subsequently got the job, so you could look at something that would do for interviews too.

Huge congratulations on graduating and best of luck in the future!

Thanks for the replies ladies! :)

See i really dont want a short dress. I dont even wear a short dress when i go out. I pretty sure option 3 is out. I was looking at it and i realized i actually hated it. Its the dipped back that annoys me.

Im pretty short myself so i was thinking most dresses would be around the knee anyway! :)

I love number one but it could be too long on me and make my legs look bigger but i might order it anyway and if i dont like it i could return it. Ill have a gander for number when im in dublin on Sunday! :) Im hoping to find something soon!

Thanks again!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I don't think it'd be too short on you, sure Geri Halliwell is tinsy! Give it a go definitely :)

Advertisement