Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost plus sofas refusing to refund deposit

Options
  • 26-09-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi have just been informed that Cost plus sofas wont return my deposit, contacted consumer agency who stated I am in the right and am entitled to a deposit due to the way i have been treated, was told by local shop their head office in the UK, does anybody know the address as I need to put my complaint and request my deposit in writing. Kathy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

were gonna need more info , usually deposits are non refundable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cost Plus Sofas: Lee

Hi Kathy,

I can send you a Email or Postal address. Or if you would like to send me a Private message with more information I will look into this for you. I would need your Customer Order Number to look into this for you further.

Cost Plus Sofas

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kathy charlie

Lee, with all due respect, I am already waiting on an email from you which you failed to send, how difficult is it to forward me your head office address

please email me

Hi Kathy,

I was awaiting your response. I will forward you the address now in PM.

Regards

Cost Plus Sofas

• Advertisement

thank you that would be much appreciated.

Lee, I have just received that pm. it does not give me the head office, it gives me the address long mile road, dublin, I was told by your store that the head office is in the UK, once again can I please have the head office address,

Please find attached PM

received that address, thanks it is much appreciate, however, I am a bit confused as you also state that the london office will send the query back to the long mile office, when I was dealing directly with the long mile office they stated they had to apply to the UK office for the deposit return, think I i will just send my deposit return request to both offices, maybe then the right person will deal with it and return my deposit, I already spoke to consumer advise who advised me that i am totally in the right to get my deposit back.

Hi Kathy,

Please advise the issue and as explained we will try to help. Please be advised though if the store has not broken a contract then they will not refund and only offer a credit note as a good will.

Cost Plus Sofas

• Advertisement

Lee, Haven explained the situation step by step to consumer advice, they have advised me under the circumstances that the contract of trust has been broken, it will be under these circumstances that I will be expecting my deposit back, as I would not buy from your store, but would like to thank you for your public response tonight, and realise you do not have all the facts at this time. Although we have spoken in the past I dont expect you to remember, will put it in writing as I am sure if you are the manager, it will land on your desk.

Hi Kathy,

Thank you as I said I do not have your facts but we will revert once we receive your correspondence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Kathy - post the info here so people can advise you whether or not you have a case for the Small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

Kathy you could be in for the long haul trying to get anything out of Cost Plus Sofa's. My parents are having a terrible time with dealing with them.......terrible company to do business with!

HI, I am hoping it doesn't have to go to small claims court, in fairness to the company I would like to formally request my deposit, give them an opportunity to give back same, if at that stage I will then follow the advice given to me from the Irish consumer association (IC.A). I will also update same on this thread, I intend to give the company two weeks to return the deposit as advised by I.C.A

I'm not sure what the Irish Countrywoman's Association will be able to do but the NCA may very well be of some assistance. :D

For your perusing pleasure - Consumer Protection Act

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Hi Kathy,

Thank you as I said I do not have your facts but we will revert once we receive your correspondence.

While it is decent of you to post here, why not try communicating to your management how terribly dissatisfied people are with your store?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

to satisfy my curiosity - whats a contract of trust ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I can guess its a change in expected delivery date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

this is all very vague, unless you're prepared to divulge some specifics it's difficult for any member here to advise you.

• Advertisement

a quick update, I posted my request for deposit return to both the long mile shop and the UK address, the reason I posted to both I got conflicted information regarding which is the head office, first I was told all requests has to go through their UK office, then I was told all correspondence would be forwarded to the Long Mile Office, so sent letter to both last week, given the company my reasons for requesting the deposit return and hopefully a time limit of 10 days for the return, will keep you posted.

just to clarify when I said the ICA, I meant the Irish consumer agency, which I now know is the consumer advice agency. I was informed if a company do not adhere to their promise, or try to change the original agreement, this can be seen as the contract of trust has been broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

just to clarify when I said the ICA, I meant the Irish consumer agency, which I now know is the consumer advice agency. I was informed if a company do not adhere to their promise, or try to change the original agreement, this can be seen as the contract of trust has been broken.

Not aware of any such agency, perhaps you mean one of these:
    National Consumers Agency (NCA)
    Consumers’ Association of Ireland (CAI)

The NCA is a statutory body charged with enforcing consumer law therefore their opinions carry more weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

we still havent heard why you should be entitled to getting back your deposit.
    the vat majority of deposits are non-refundable, as you're paying them to hold and item until you make full payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

we still havent heard why you should be entitled to getting back your deposit.
    the vat majority of deposits are non-refundable, as you're paying them to hold and item until you make full payment.

It may not be the case here but usually if a retailer doesn't fulfil their side of the contract as agreed then the consumer would be entitled to rescind the contract and get a full refund including all deposits.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    It may not be the case here but usually if a retailer doesn't fulfil their side of the contract as agreed then the consumer would be entitled to rescind the contract and get a full refund including all deposits.

Repudiate! :P

following on from my post, it is now two weeks since i posted letter to both UK and Long Mile Road, it was registered post, and for the attention of the manager, given my order number, maybe Lee can clarify who the manager is and what their protocols are regarding to replying to letters cancelling orders. kathy

following on from my post, it is now two weeks since i posted letter to both UK and Long Mile Road, it was registered post, and for the attention of the manager, given my order number, maybe Lee can clarify who the manager is and what their protocols are regarding to replying to letters cancelling orders. kathy

I think I know. I believe a guy gets the letter, along with a few others, grabs a coffee and packet of B&H. He sits on the toilet reading the paper, drinking his coffee and smoking then uses the letters... never mind. I'm sure they're a handled in the same professional manner they deal with all their issues.

Lee, I sent letter to both the UK company and to long mile branch, I clearly gave my order number, letter sent by registered post 2 weeks ago, to date I have not had a reply, could you please confirm how long it would normally take before I get a reply?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

kathy - my advice now is to start the Small Claims Case. You gave them 10 days be registered letter and they have not reacted. Stop trying to communicate through soft means and go for the SCC.

**All this advice is assuming that you are entitled to have your deposit refunded. Deposits are not normally refundable, but I don't know the specifics of your case.

Advertisement