Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost plus sofas refusing to refund deposit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kathy charlie

thanks for all the advice, I was told I may be able to get my deposit back through the credit card company that I used to pay the deposit, I am going to write to them tomorrow to see if this is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Kathy is there any chance that you can give us some sort of background as to why you feel you are entitled to your deposit back.

yes, I chose a bed and headboard in August, had good chat with the sales man regarding the delivery date which he promised would be no later than mid November, I asked for assurance that this would not be changed, informed him i had bad experience with an other company and did not want any hassle regarding delivery dates been changed, he assured me this would not happen, on this basis I gave my deposit, a few weeks ago, received a call stating it would be delayed and delivery date be now early December, again reminded salesman I am not happy as this was my concern to begin with, told him I wanted to cancel, he offered a credit note, but not my deposit in cash, said he would check with head office in UK re getting my deposit back and would phone me by end of week, never received the call, I then phoned again and was told I couldn,t get my deposit but could get a credit note, at this stage was told they working on my delivery date. again they promised they would call, no call, so I phoned again a week later, told the manager would phone back at end of day, I then called aprox 3pm was told manager busy but would get back to me, I then stated I was going to put this shoddy treatment on internet, manager then called aprox 30 mins later, informed me the bed and headboard would now be delivered on time, told him I was disgusted with the way I was treated, and didn,t trust them, he stated it would be delivered but at end of sentence stated I have to allow for a possible week delay as with all their deliveries. after this I spoke to the consumer association who told me that this would constitute the contract been broken because I was very specific with the sales man regarding not wanting any hassle. I have no intentions of dealing with this company and have cancelled the order, as stated sent two registered letters given my order number, and no answer, so will now proceed to the next step. kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rosedust84

Waiting three months for delivery..is that normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

so you're throwing the toys out of the pram because they added a couple of weeks (which isnt even the case anymore) to the 3 months you'd have to wait for delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

so you're throwing the toys out of the pram because they added a couple of weeks (which isnt even the case anymore) to the 3 months you'd have to wait for delivery?

OP made a contract with specific requirements - was promised X.

Company did not deliver on promise - that's enough for me to then question everything else about them. OP was entirely correct to ask them to PFO imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

What happened Lee from cost plus sofas?.
    Thanks Kathy for putting this up on boards, now I know where not to go for my next sofa or beds.

I dont think its throwing the toys out of the pram, I have no intentions of waiting till mid November, then there is a chance I be told it could be December, then this could extend till the new year, I don't want to be running around in December looking for a bed, I will be having visitors and wanted it all in place by then, as this company could not adhere to the agreed contract, then they couldn't bothered to return calls and now no answer to either of my letters which clearly gave the order number, I think any sane person would lose faith in them, as was mentioned previously Lee from Cost plus Sofas has gone quite, and just for the record, during one of my calls to the long mile road, I was informed the manager "Lee" would return the call. If Lee is the manager then I assuming it was also him who received my letter!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Have you read the whole thread ????

CPS = avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Are they still putting out the tacky and illegal corriboard advertising out in the middle of the Longmile Rd.

Could anyone get a pic if so...tvm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I dont think its throwing the toys out of the pram, I have no intentions of waiting till mid November, then there is a chance I be told it could be December, then this could extend till the new year, I don't want to be running around in December looking for a bed, I will be having visitors and wanted it all in place by then, as this company could not adhere to the agreed contract, then they couldn't bothered to return calls and now no answer to either of my letters which clearly gave the order number, I think any sane person would lose faith in them, as was mentioned previously Lee from Cost plus Sofas has gone quite, and just for the record, during one of my calls to the long mile road, I was informed the manager "Lee" would return the call. If Lee is the manager then I assuming it was also him who received my letter!!

This problem started on 26 September, and today is October 20....TWENTY FIVE days later and the problem is still ongoing??

SHAME ON YOU cost plus sofas. You do not deserve custom!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    This problem started on 26 September, and today is October 20....TWENTY FIVE days later and the problem is still ongoing??

SHAME ON YOU cost plus sofas. You do not deserve custom!!!

Le_Dieux my parents are having awful problems with them, and it's been going on since mid JULY.....they are an atrocious company to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cost Plus Sofas: Lee

I would like to just clear this up. Cost plus sofas have not gone quite we in fact had advised before the first post ( 26 days ) previous that we could deliver the goods in the time frame agreed at point of sale which was the middle of November. This is still the case so dose not warrant a refund as no contract broken by cost plus sofas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cost Plus Sofas: Lee

disco girl wrote: »

Le_Dieux my parents are having awful problems with them, and it's been going on since mid JULY.....they are an atrocious company to deal with.

Le_Dieux

Please feel free the pm me as I have said on many occasions to look into your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Lee - out of interest do Cost Plus still put out Corriboard signs out on the central reservation of Long Mile Rd?

I would like to just clear this up. Cost plus sofas have not gone quite we in fact had advised before the first post ( 26 days ) previous that we could deliver the goods in the time frame agreed at point of sale which was the middle of November. This is still the case so dose not warrant a refund as no contract broken by cost plus sofas.

While I give You credit for commenting on a Sunday Lee, I am shocked You want the whole time to solve this problem. Yes possibly no contract has been broken although if so, why did Kathy go public in the first place.

Le_Dieux

Please feel free the pm me as I have said on many occasions to look into your issue.

I don't have a problem Lee as I wouldn't buy anything from Your company.

I just want to say, the last call I had with Lee, he did say the bed would be delivered, and that they thought they would not be able to deliver the headboard in time, hence the delay, during that phone call he said the problem was sorted, and bed would be delivered, I informed him I was not happy with the previous phone call stating there would be a delay and how I was treated following that, (i.e no phone calls returned previous to that phone call. Lee informed me during the call that the contract was not broken, therefore no deposit would be returned, he gave me the impression that he was right, at very end of call he said there could still be a delay of a week or so, after the call i contacted the consumer association who stated he was wrong the very fact that I received the first call saying there would be a delay (especially since I made it quite clear at time of booking that I did not want any hassle re order delays), then ignoring my calls constitutes a breech of contract, the advice I was given by them was to put it in writing, which I did, during first phone call when I asked for my deposit, I was informed this request would have to go to UK as that is where the head office is, once I went public, Lee private messaged me stating Long Mile road was head office, so my letters confirming cancellation of order went to both UK and Long Mile Road (aprox 3 weeks ago) I have not received any reply to my letter. Only communication I have had with Lee or any other rep is on this forum. Kathy

OP - I think you aid by credit card right? I hope that you are involving the CC company in all this. They are equally liable. Get it charged back.

I just want to say, the last call I had with Lee, he did say the bed would be delivered, and that they thought they would not be able to deliver the headboard in time, hence the delay, during that phone call he said the problem was sorted, and bed would be delivered, I informed him I was not happy with the previous phone call stating there would be a delay and how I was treated following that, (i.e no phone calls returned previous to that phone call. Lee informed me during the call that the contract was not broken, therefore no deposit would be returned, he gave me the impression that he was right, at very end of call he said there could still be a delay of a week or so, after the call i contacted the consumer association who stated he was wrong the very fact that I received the first call saying there would be a delay (especially since I made it quite clear at time of booking that I did not want any hassle re order delays), then ignoring my calls constitutes a breech of contract, the advice I was given by them was to put it in writing, which I did, during first phone call when I asked for my deposit, I was informed this request would have to go to UK as that is where the head office is, once I went public, Lee private messaged me stating Long Mile road was head office, so my letters confirming cancellation of order went to both UK and Long Mile Road (aprox 3 weeks ago) I have not received any reply to my letter. Only communication I have had with Lee or any other rep is on this forum. Kathy

Truly a shocking service Kathy. And the lies also, specially about the HO address, i the UK until caught out then they admit it's the LMR.

What galls me most though is Lee's response above - that he wants ALL the alloted time for this matter. What happened to the word SERVICE?

Good luck with dealing with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Redsox Rover

I have to say I have not heard good things about CPS and this thread confirms it. I hope CPS do the right thing and issue a full refund to the OP if only for a bit of much needed good PR. I certainly will not be buying anything from this company in the future. Disgraceful customer service!

Cheers for the support, yeah, the consumer association informed me I should now write to the credit card company outlining the issue, which I intend to do tomorrow, I did phone the credit card company on Friday to see if the refund was made. (it wasn't) at the very least I expected either a phone call or a letter in reply to my letter, I realize if they were going to have the decency to reply to my letter (which was registered posted) they would have done by now. kathy

Cheers for the support, yeah, the consumer association informed me I should now write to the credit card company outlining the issue, which I intend to do tomorrow, I did phone the credit card company on Friday to see if the refund was made. (it wasn't) at the very least I expected either a phone call or a letter in reply to my letter, I realize if they were going to have the decency to reply to my letter (which was registered posted) they would have done by now. kathy

They will be very cagey about refunding you. Stick to your guns. Explain they are liable under Section 14 of The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980.

14.—Where goods are sold to a buyer dealing as consumer and in relation to the sale an agreement is entered into by the buyer with another person acting in the course of a business (in this section referred to as a finance house) for the repayment to the finance house of money paid by the finance house to the seller in respect of the price of the goods, the finance house shall be deemed to be a party to the sale and the finance house and the seller shall, jointly and severally, be answerable to the buyer for breach of the contract of sale and for any misrepresentations made by the seller with respect to the goods.

thanks procrastastudy, thats very helpful, I will quote this in my letter and post it off tomorrow, will update this thread if CPS decided to respond to my letter and when I hear from the Credit card company, kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

MadsL wrote: »
    Lee - out of interest do Cost Plus still put out Corriboard signs out on the central reservation of Long Mile Rd?

MadsL - please stay on topic. Your question has nothing to do with this thread. You can send your question to Lee via PM if you so wish.

dudara

Another working week is almost past, and still this topic has not been put to bed.

Any update Kathy?

I wrote to the credit card company as advised, I am now waiting on a reply from them to see if they will return the deposit, I have not heard any thing from cost plus sofas, as stated two letters went to them, 1 to manage long mile road and 1 to the UK, both letters where registered. tomorrow I will contact the credit card company to see if they have any up date for me. I have no intention of contacting cost plus sofas at this stage, think they should have had decency to reply to my letters. kathy

I wrote to the credit card company as advised, I am now waiting on a reply from them to see if they will return the deposit, I have not heard any thing from cost plus sofas, as stated two letters went to them, 1 to manage long mile road and 1 to the UK, both letters where registered. tomorrow I will contact the credit card company to see if they have any up date for me. I have no intention of contacting cost plus sofas at this stage, think they should have had decency to reply to my letters. kathy

Decency to reply to Your letters Kathy? If they had any etiquette, they should have contacted You as soon as this became public on here, and discussed privatly with You so as to resolve the problem.

Seems CPS have NO idea about customer relationships - look at this Lee, He wants to use the full allotted time to solve the issue, and yet he hasn't even had the balls to contact You.

Disgraceful service!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cappichino

I see Lee is on here as a verified agent. I would question why at this stage moderators do not remove him as it is obvious he has no intention of putting himself out to assist the public . My son had a problem with electric Ireland and their rep sorted it out within the day offering a very helpful service .Again Declan at Currys made an effort to sort out customer issues . They may not always be popular but it is clear they follow every query up and give detailed reasons for their reply.
    This guy is a joke .

• Advertisement

Any update Kathy?

Advertisement