Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOE test for campers being enforced?

Options
  • 26-09-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    just wondering if anybody has been stopped and asked for/fined/got a stern warning for driving a taxed and insured campervan with no (now mandatory) DOE test??
    Also,do u have to display it by law on the windscreen?
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Haven't heard of anyone being stopped yet but of course it's best to have it with you so that, if stopped, you don't have to go through the hassle of producing it at a Garda barracks of your choice, as they say.

No way to display it on your windscreen as it's only a piece of paper.
    It's intended that in due course windscreen discs will be issued. but first they've got to set the system up.
    I tuck my cert behind the tax disc or Ins. disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Haven't heard of anyone being stopped yet but of course it's best to have it with you so that, if stopped, you don't have to go through the hassle of producing it at a Garda barracks of your choice, as they say.

No way to display it on your windscreen as it's only a piece of paper.
    It's intended that in due course windscreen discs will be issued. but first they've got to set the system up.
    I tuck my cert behind the tax disc or Ins. disc.

I've heard of people being asked by gardai for it

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MaxyJazz

Was there really a reason to introduce doe for campers? Or is it just more revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MaxyJazz

Was there really a reason to introduce doe for campers? Or is it just more revenue?

MaxyJazz wrote: »

The law was always there!!

When the law for testing on cars was finally brought in it clearly stated "All motorised vehicles......".
    The problem was that the law makers had missed campervans when it came to setting down the criteria for testing them, plus the fact that they were all wrongly classed as commercial vehicles on the log books/registration certs. and the fact that NCT centres couldn't handle the size, hence DOE style test.

So, for once, no it wasn't a money making move.

Just think about it, does it make sense for one type of vehicle be allowed on the road without having had a test to show that it is road worthy? not to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Can't believe anyone would even ask this you would not believe the appalling state of the brakes suspension steering and chassis on some vans. Being idle 9 months of the year means wheel bearings rust brakes rust calipers seize handbreaks seize. Even new low mileage vehicles can be unroadworthy in jig time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rob_81

Thanks fr the info lads. A friend told me if you skip the the test then you are not insured with his company after 2 weeks grace. I'm with campion. Going to give them a ring tomorrow to clarify. I just got the van and would love to just head off n start work for test later in the winter.

rob_81 wrote: »
    Thanks fr the info lads. A friend told me if you skip the the test then you are not insured with his company after 2 weeks grace. I'm with campion. Going to give them a ring tomorrow to clarify. I just got the van and would love to just head off n start work for test later in the winter.

Regardless of what your insurance broker/company have to say, the only way you can have an untested vehicle on the road legally is if you have a test booked and are driving it to the test station.
    Any other time and you are not only risking getting points on your licence but if, as you say, you need to work on it to get it through the test, that implies that it might not be road worthy at the moment:eek:.

So a potential danger to other road users. Is it worth it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

So a potential danger to other road users. Is it worth it?.

I agree, since we bought our van last week I'm coming to realise it's like moving into a new house or flat, it takes while for the dust to settle and in that time lots of little things (luckily for us nothing big, yet *fingers crossed*) are likely go wrong and need fixing. For us it's been the bearings on the sliding door going and one of the front indicator lights has gone but all the bits inside have fused together! It's well worth just taking a few short day trips locally while you get used to it and make sure it's all running well rather than go off on a big epic one and have something disasterous/dangerous happen on a motorway!

moodrater wrote: »
    Can't believe anyone would even ask this you would not believe the appalling state of the brakes suspension steering and chassis on some vans. Being idle 9 months of the year means wheel bearings rust brakes rust calipers seize handbreaks seize. Even new low mileage vehicles can be unroadworthy in jig time.

Just reading back this post caught my eye.

My camper will be put to bed for the winter in a couple of weeks or so.
    It will be in a barn out of the weather but, as always, I'll be leaving a couple of yards in front and behind so that when I start it up, which is usually a couple of times a week, I can move it back and forth to keep things from seizing up. It also helps for the tyres not to be left in the same position. Also I never leave it with the handbrake on. It's surprising how quickly you learn not to do this once you've had the brakes seize on you as I did with a car! Not funny. And don't forget to keep the camper open for fresh air from time to time.

Just thought these ideas might help people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Just thought these ideas might help people.

Good tips, especially for a newbie, thanks :)

No problem.

Welcome aboard:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

And don't forget to keep the camper open for fresh air from time to time.

For people that have theirs in storage I noticed the euro savers places have scented dehumidifiers with calcium chloride in them for 1.50 you'd hardly buy the calcium chloride for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Heres a conversation from another thread to elucidate:
    levelling chocks i woundnt go anywhere without them,when you have the van level it makes life so much easier
    Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Yes! Our van has gone walkabout 3 times on us now! Luckily it didn't get very far :)
    ? How does a campervan go walkabout? mine has a thing called a handbrake:confused:
    Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Our's has a really really crap one

Now THAT is why we need the DOE

Advertisement