Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NO RENT ALLOWANCE

• 26-09-2012 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

What is the deal with all the house to rent ads that say NO RENT ALLOWANCE? This is a big insult to all of us who worked hard during the boom but have now fallen on hard times.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how is 188 a week not enough to get a room in a house + bills/food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Its just an easy way to rule out most scumbags... unfortunately it also discriminates against the disabled and people out of work through no fault of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Hit them a smack in the face

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Is that legal? Why would they care where the money comes form anyway? Unless I'm missing something.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

All landlords dream of the "young professional"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

What is rent allowance ? Tax payers money that's paying mortgages for landlords. If you can't afford to pay your way live at home.

Is that legal? Why would they care where the money comes form anyway? Unless I'm missing something.

Drug money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think what they're trying to say is "no white runners/baseball caps".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

It is their personal private property.
    They are under no obligations to let to anybody they do not choose to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

mikemac1 wrote: »
    All landlords dream of the "young professional"

What about an old professional? Do they get messier as they get older?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

If you can't afford to pay your way live at home.

That sentence is retarded on several levels.

Sinfonia wrote: »

Rent a box and youre to go

Living with the parents not popular anymore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

ZXXXZ wrote: »
    What is the deal with all the house to rent ads that say NO RENT ALLOWANCE? This is a big insult to all of us who worked hard during the boom but have now fallen on hard times.
    Just don't tell them, that you are on RA. Sign the lease and then ask to sign RA form. If a landlord refuses, live for free. simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What is rent allowance ? Tax payers money that's paying mortgages for landlords. If you can't afford to pay your way live at home.

What if you're an orphan and there isn't a home to go to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Lived in a house with a guy on rent allowance. Cans and music blaring every night. Don't blame them.

humbert wrote: »
    Lived in a house with a guy on rent allowance. Cans and music blaring every night. Don't blame them.
    What the drugs and hookers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Living with the parents not popular anymore ?
    Above the age of 16, and given average intelligence, it was never that popular to begin with.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    What if you're an orphan and there isn't a home to go to?

Rent a room in a shared house does not cost that much. There would be no need for rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Because the backlog in rent supplement applications leads to delays in them being processed which means people are waiting nearly three months for payments to come through. This means unless they have savings or income from another source they can't pay the landlord during this time, why would landlords want to wait that long when they can get tenants in with a steady income that can pay the rent on time. Also if the tenant is then refused rent supplement they can just do a runner after leaving the landlord without rent for months on end while the application was being processed.

• Advertisement

Pottler wrote: »
    Above the age of 16, and given average intelligence, it was never that popular to begin with.

What is average intelligence
    I LIKE TO WET MYSELFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Pottler wrote: »

But yet so many do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Rent a room in a shared house does not cost that much. There would be no need for rent allowance.
    If I lost my job I wouldn't be too happy to be told I had to move in with 2 complete strangers who are also unemployed.
    I wouldn't expect anyone else to do it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It'll get a bit a bit crowded with the average size family crammed into one room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

ZXXXZ wrote: »

An even better question (or two perhaps) is

(a) why is it even legal in the first place to discriminate against people on RA?

(b) why aren't these ads, and the people posting them on websites like daft.ie investigated? "No rent allowance accepted" on a renting website in my opinion screams "I'm a tax dodging landlord who pockets all the tenants monthly contributions without contributing to the revenue like I'm legally obliged to.".

If I lost my job I wouldn't be too happy to be told I had to move in with 2 complete strangers who are also unemployed.

Beggars can't be choosers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

1) By definition, everyone lives at home - except homeless people.
    2) Rent allowance is also a method of allowing those who cannot otherwise afford rent to have a home.
    3) It is not an option for all people (for various reasons) to live in their parents' home.
    4) Stop whining about "tax payers money" - it's an incredibly ignorant thing to do, particularly in a country with a relatively low personal tax rate, and when the subject you're discussing is actually a matter of money being spent on the public good and the protection of society; there are so many other things tax revenue can be (and often is) recklessly wasted on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

dttq wrote: »
    An even better question (or two perhaps) is

(a) why is it even legal in the first place to discriminate against people on RA?

Side note ... and I may be wrong but I believe its legal due to the fact that people on R.A are a cross section of society, all together they cannot be defined as a race, religion, member of travelling community, or sexual orientation.
    Therefore its not discrimination, while it may be discriminating against people of a certain income I do not think there is a provision for that.

1) By definition, everyone lives at home - except homeless people.
    2) Rent allowance is also a method of allowing those who cannot otherwise afford rent to have a home.
    3) It is not an option for all people (for various reasons) to live in their parents' home.
    4) Stop whining about "tax payers money" - it's an incredibly ignorant thing to do, particularly in a country with a relatively low personal tax rate, and when the subject you're discussing is actually a matter of money being spent on the public good and the protection of society; there are so many other things tax revenue can be (and often is) recklessly wasted on.

Rent allowance is abused by landlords asking stupid prices for property and social welfare have pandered to them in the past, thankfully it's changing.
    I have rented some ****holes in the past and landlords care not a ****e about tenants it's all about how much they can get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Like anyone I had to work a succession of jobs until I got a good one so I could afford to rent a bedsit for myself.

Renting a room is cheaper and if you have to share a house when you're on welfare then so be it

When you have a good job again you can rent wherever you want

Imho, if "no rent allowance accepted" ads were made illegal, we would catch a lot more tax dodging landlord scumbags off their guard. What most gombeen pricks renting out don't like about rent allowance is that the state would soon cop on to the fact that they are renting out their house, and owe the taxman a shilling or two, if they had to sign the documents for rent allowance.

English - Gombeenish/ landlorish dictionary

no rent allowance accepted = don't want to pay tax like everyone else running a business, or bring state/ taxman attention to my pay in the hand enterprise, of which I'm dodging thousands of euros in taxes each year which should be going toward the revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Because in general rent allowance is giving to people on the dole.
    People on the dole = scumbags.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm back to me Druids cider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Zamboni wrote: »
    Beggars can't be choosers.

MONDAY: Leave your home, kiss partner goodbye, head into work.

TUESDAY: Fired!

WEDNESDAY: Beggar.

:( Rough week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Do you honestly think if a family (say 2 parents, 2 kids) fall on hard times and need rent allowance to get by, their parents will take them back home no bother? They most likely wouldn't even have the room to be taking in a whole family.

People on the dole = scumbags.

Careful now, next thing you know, you'll be getting a job offer within Maggie Thatcher's cabinet.

• Advertisement

MONDAY: Leave your home, kiss partner goodbye, head into work.

TUESDAY: Fired!

WEDNESDAY: Beggar.

:( Rough week.

Thursday: Use savings for living requirements whilst finding employment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Doop wrote: »
    Side note ... and I may be wrong but I believe its legal due to the fact that people on R.A are a cross section of society, all together they cannot be defined as a race, religion, member of travelling community, or sexual orientation.
    Therefore its not discrimination, while it may be discriminating against people of a certain income I do not think there is a provision for that.

That's about it, alright. Lack of substantial income is not one of the nine grounds on which one cannot discriminate under the Equal Status Acts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

dttq wrote: »
    Careful now, next thing you know, you'll be getting a job offer within Maggie Thatcher's cabinet.

Well I dunno if I can accept that.
    As it stands now, the offo, the bookies, the shop for milk and bread and the post office takes me at most, 4 minutes of walking.

If I have to walk further, I'm not taking the job.

Well I dunno if I can accept that.
    As it stands now, the offo, the bookies, the shop for milk and bread and the post office takes me at most, 4 minutes of walking.

If I have to walk further, I'm not taking the job.

The post office? Bloody commie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

how is 188 a week not enough to get a room in a house + bills/food

Is this a troll? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

A lot of landlords dont declare their tax if they take rent allowance they Will get caught out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Troll thread locked.

OP banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement