Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BROADBAND OPTIONS AND ADVICE...

• 26-09-2012 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi folks first of all i live in kilsalaghan just outside rolestown co dublin,i had 02 dongle broadband but it was dead slow,i decided to go with eircom,3 weeks ago got my modem,2 days later had my first engineer out to see why it wasnt working,then the last 3 weeks ive had work which they say was done on outside line,and today they gave me a new modem,still nothing..thats 3 weeks of sheer frustration and nothing,they now say its gone back to the engineer and wait and see i could be "to far out from exchange"..so i cant and wont wait any longer than friday for eircom,question is what other options do i have,i use computer for youtube most of the time as i learn music of it and the likes,so what would my best broadband option be,living of the beating track,that allows me unlimited watching on the likes of you tube??etc

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Try imagine wimax.

Are you far from the exchange? This does have an effect on your broadband speeds. It also depends the quality of your line from the exchange. If the cable is old your likely to get lesser speeds. How are your neighbours' broadband speeds in comparison to yours.

After that I can't see much for what eircom can do.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Give Eircom as much time as they need if you can. DSL would be ideal even if it's just 1Mb.

Failing that think of Satellite with Digiweb. There's a large enough outlay for the installation but the monthly price is pretty good and the speeds will be fine for streaming youtube. Satellite has come a long way in the last few years.

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/tooway/packages/index.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Give Eircom as much time as they need if you can. DSL would be ideal even if it's just 1Mb.

Failing that think of Satellite with Digiweb. There's a large enough outlay for the installation but the monthly price is pretty good and the speeds will be fine for streaming youtube. Satellite has come a long way in the last few years.

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/tooway/packages/index.php

I'd strongly NOT recommend satellite for watching youtube.

If you are unsure : http://support.digiweb.ie/questions/3808/Tooway+Satellite+Ku+Traffic+Usage+%26+Fair+Access+Policy+Explained

even your crappy O2 dongle would be better.

bealtine wrote: »
    I'd strongly NOT recommend satellite for watching youtube.

If you are unsure : http://support.digiweb.ie/questions/3808/Tooway+Satellite+Ku+Traffic+Usage+%26+Fair+Access+Policy+Explained

even your crappy O2 dongle would be better.

You linked to the old packages and their traffic volumes.

Look at the link I provided and you'll see the bottom package has 8GB of traffic allowance - probably 8 times the amount the O2 dongle provides.

The Satellite would wipe the floor with most mobile broadband products in everything but latency - which is not a factor for streaming video from Youtube.

You linked to the old packages and their traffic volumes.

Look at the link I provided and you'll see the bottom package has 8GB of traffic allowance - probably 8 times the amount the O2 dongle provides.

The Satellite would wipe the floor with most mobile broadband products in everything but latency - which is not a factor for streaming video from Youtube.

maybe but it's still broken into hourly,daily,weekly and monthly allowances

• Advertisement

bealtine wrote: »
    maybe but it's still broken into hourly,daily,weekly and monthly allowances

Again, they have changed this. They have moved to a monthly reset system. The hourly, daily, weekly and monthly allowances are not applicable to the new packages.

Need to keep up to date if you're going to spray advice around these parts. ;)

Again, they have changed this. They have moved to a monthly reset system. The hourly, daily, weekly and monthly allowances are not applicable to the new packages.

Need to keep up to date if you're going to spray advice around these parts. ;)

ok show us a page where they have "changed that" as that is the current fair use policy

They obviously haven't updated the knowledgebase yet.

Don't take my word for it if you don't want to, but go ahead and have a chat with Sales or give them a call they'll confirm it.

They obviously haven't updated the knowledgebase yet.

Don't take my word for it if you don't want to, but go ahead and have a chat with Sales or give them a call they'll confirm it.

Well until they do update the knowledgebase it is still remains the current contract.

To the OP get all claims and other nonsense like no FAP in writing first.

The knowledgebase is not a contract. Don't ever assume as such.

Listen - I just gave Satellite as an option, OP if you want to ring their sales and query all the above than so be it.

Bottom line is that it will definately offer a better service than a mobile broadband stick. In terms of speeds, reliability and traffic regardless of what bealtine has said above.

If you're interested, ring or chat to Digiweb online and they will confirm everything I've said. Their new packages and prices are barely a week old - any actual contract sent to you will contain the new information if/when you choose to sign up.

It's an option for you to consider - nothing more, nothing less.

• Advertisement

The knowledgebase is not a contract. Don't ever assume as such.

Listen - I just gave Satellite as an option, OP if you want to ring their sales and query all the above than so be it.

Bottom line is that it will definately offer a better service than a mobile broadband stick. In terms of speeds, reliability and traffic regardless of what bealtine has said above.

and I'm saying it's not an option it is crap, it might be an option if you live in the middle of the Atlantic. Even a mobile dongle is better if you have a reasonable "signal".

All companies refer to their websites as the valid and current contracts, Digiweb are no different.

A mobile dongle is about the worst type of 'broadband' (for a start it's midband) you can get IMO. Slow, very small traffic caps, extremely signal-dependant and not even remotely ideal for multiple users.

I'd rather a 6Mb satellite connection off the new KA satellite system any day of the week. All the information you seem to have is based off the old KU service. The KA is light-years ahead and will happily run through a wireless router if you want to use multiple devices.

Saying mobile is a better option is simply not true. The very fact the OP is looking to move away from mobile speaks for itself.

A mobile dongle is about the worst type of 'broadband' (for a start it's midband) you can get IMO. Slow, very small traffic caps, extremely signal-dependant and not even remotely ideal for multiple users.

I'd rather a 6Mb satellite connection off the new KA satellite system any day of the week. All the information you seem to have is based off the old KU service. The KA is light-years ahead and will happily run through a wireless router if you want to use multiple devices.

Saying mobile is a better option is simply not true. The very fact the OP is looking to move away from mobile speaks for itself.

His best option where he is : DSL, Fixed wireless,failing that mobile and failing that another midband product : satellite.

Get over it satellite is a midband product and always will be...so stop trying to persuade people to buy it, you haven't presented one shred of evidence to back up your wild claims

@ OP - I don't want to continue to de-rail your thread and argue with someone who doesn't have all the facts.

Check the Digiweb site in the next week or two when it's updated with all the "wild claims" :rolleyes: I've made such as the new packages and associated traffic policies.

Over and out.

@ OP - I don't want to continue to de-rail your thread and argue with someone who doesn't have all the facts.

Check the Digiweb site in the next week or two when it's updated with all the "wild claims" :rolleyes: I've made such as the new packages and associated traffic policies.

Over and out.

and while not wanting to derail the thread either...I am not pimping any products.

Stay away from satellite, I've outlined your options in ascending order and it will always remain that way.

Here's an FWA provider that should cover your area: http://www.net1.ie

Advertisement