Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What simple things fill you with joy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Wolfruin

candy-gal1 enough said really :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Slaving over a meal for ages and then sitting down with a big plate/bowl of it and just tucking in.

Nomnomnomnomonomnomnom. Nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

Whenever I'm looking to get really gay its some MDNA that hits the spot good golly miss molly!!!

oh joy.... a man should never know happiness. Or at least, not recognize it

MDMA is up there alright... How about dropping half a gram of mdma then waiting 40 minutes then walking through a packed dance floor feeling all slick and cool to the toilet and having a great big poo???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Walking on a frosty evening.

The sound of tyres crunching over a gravel driveway.

Coffee.

Sleeping.

Snuggling my OHs neck.

A warm fire on cold, dark evenings.

Pets.

A good novel.

Hearing a song I used to love and haven't heard in ages - it brings back so many memories.

The sound of waves on a windy day and the first smell of the ocean as you get near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Coaching sport to young people and helping them to develop as people and players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

My 17 month old daughter's cheeky laugh when she grabs the remote control and runs out of the room.

When my 14 yo diesel car starts in the morning.

When my partner gets her period every month, after 4 kids that would fill you with joy too.

Walking on a frosty evening.

The sound of tyres crunching over a gravel driveway.

Coffee.

Sleeping.

Snuggling my OHs neck.

A warm fire on cold, dark evenings.

Pets.

A good novel.

Hearing a song I used to love and haven't heard in ages - it brings back so many memories.

The sound of waves on a windy day and the first smell of the ocean as you get near it.

I agree with it all, and they're very close to the joy felt while enjoying a good long anticipated poo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Hooking up all the school sports kids to my latest load of skag from the afghan,pure bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Lots of getting-warm related posts, not too surprising considering winter seems to have suddenly thrust itself upon us. At least I love the crisp dry weather and Christmas.
    Cuddles and holding hands.

The bass during the second half of Bend Shadows Towards The Light.

Animals being friends.

Kim Deal during Where Is My Mind?

Cold glass of water when it's hot.

When I get really, really salty crisp, the type that literally melts in your mouth.

I love getting a mighty munch that's been completely covered in the seasoning of its brothers and sisters.

Also great: realising you've got another crisp left hiding in the corner of the bag when you thought they were all gone.
    chasm wrote: »
    I don't have children myself but i have 8 nephews and nieces and at the risk of sounding soppy i would have to say that a lot of the simple things that fill me with joy would probably have involved them. Things like the first time each of them said my name, gave me a hug or kiss, actually this list could go on and on lol It's just silly little things sometimes but they brighten my day all the same :)

Another would be when 2 of my nephews decided to break ranks from their chelsea supporting parents and siblings and come over to my team-Liverpool :D
    All my siblings support Chelsea so that was joyous to say the least lol

Also in there would have to be waking up to the sun shining through your window, can't beat that feeling.

I've a few nephews (no nieces so far) and they're just fantastic. Not only full of fun, but really genuinely loving, and routinely hilarious.

Some more things:

The moment in Batman Begins when the Batmobile comes flying over the river just after the police chief says there's no-one left to send in.

The sea, especially on a stormy day.

Whenever Jesse Pinkman says "yo" or "bitch."

The Adama Maneouvre. (though it probably wasn't that simple to do. also Battlestar Galactica season 3 spoilers for the unitiated)

Seeing someone's terrified reaction to a horror film you've already seen when you watch with them.

Eating nice food I cooked myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Just got into bed and new sheets put on today...so, so nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,270 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The voice sample saying SEEEEEEEEGAAAAAAA when you boot up Sonic on a Megadrive.

Still sends me back to Christmas morning 92!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Looking out a window on a cold winter's night at snow falling, lit up by the streetlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭gidget

The welcome my dog gives me when i come in the door after been out!
    Christmas
    A nice hot bubble bath
    Something that makes me laugh, a good comedy or a funny story that someone tells me about that happened.
    Hearing good family news

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

God... wrote: »
    MDMA is up there alright... How about dropping half a gram of mdma then waiting 40 minutes then walking through a packed dance floor feeling all slick and cool to the toilet and having a great big poo???

whilst surrounded by oh so genuine souls that keep insisting they are "keepin' it real"!!! ..sound. Oh yeah: that's artificial too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

my son will be taking his first steps any time now.

for me it happened last week. it was actually the very first time me and my son shared a laugh together. he was sitting in his buggy watching the telly when he let a massive massive fart. i started pissing myself and he looked at me then started laughing too. it was so cool that we were laughing together
    My little one is 3, she often wakes before I head to sleep, so last sunday about half 10 she waddles in to me in her dozey state, I just placed her on the couch to settle her and let her nod back off, there was complete silence for about 15 minutes, I was just reading away next to her when, in her sleep she started bursting out laughing, this has happened countless times but it really caught me off guard this time, I started laughing myself then, she laughed louder in response to me laughing, she opened her eyes then and looked at me, I said that was funny, totally tripped her out, me too a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Look out a window on a cold winter's night at snow falling, lit up by the streetlights, as the snotty neighbour in his new BMW wheelspins uncontrollably towards the ditch.Mmmm.
    I agree. Lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

o1s1n wrote: »
    The voice sample saying SEEEEEEEEGAAAAAAA when you boot up Sonic on a Megadrive.

Still sends me back to Christmas morning 92!
    threw in Mario Kart into the N64 for the first time in ages there the other day
    "wel-come to mario kart" put a smile on my face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Throwing a full nappy across the kitchen, basketball style, into the swing lid bin. SWISH.

This can also go very very wrong......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

perris spicy thai rings

night with the girlfriend on the couch with pizza coke and QI.

the afterwork fag
    the beforework fag
    the fag break fag

the first sip off a cold can of coke.

stepping off the bus in clare and into her arms.

that period when with friends in a pub when everyone is 2 or three in and the vibe is just right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I love how my dogs who bark at me 99.9999999999999999% of the time appear and wag their tails at me when I am eating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

perris spicy thai rings

I shall second this one. :D

Rescuing a biscuit that has fallen off into your tea just in the nick of time.

Reconnecting with friends i haven't been in touch with for a while and the friendship still being as strong as always.

Playing hidies with my 11 month old nephew

Pay day

When i come home from work or a night out and I just want to go to bed and good ole mammy has the electric blanket on for me :pac:

When my boyfriend comes to visit for a week and i know i get to wake up to him beside me for the next few days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I was working last Saturday and I came home all flustered and a bit bothered for some reason. Had to send in a report to my boss before the deadline which was an hour's away. Anyway, amid all my growing anger and whatever, my cousin's baby who was in the house at the time, crawled all the way from the sitting room to the computer I was working on in the kitchen, and pulled himself up so I could sit him on my knee. Any bad humour I was in quickly vanished as the little dote cheered me right up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

This has prob been said but anything my 2 half year old daughter says always fills me with joy she's so funny
    She does a great quagmire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

Sneezing, it's like an orgasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Has anyone else noticed that girls are way better at this stuff than us? They have a knack for seeing the good things in life, well in my experience anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Nulty wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that girls are way better at this stuff than us? They have a knack for seeing the good things in life, well in my experience anyway.
    How ya figure?

They just pretend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I'm sure it's just my perception. I figure guys are far too caught up in getting ahead and progress to stop and smell the flowers and I don't pay attention to guys any way so it's the girls that do that get my attention. I find it really attractive hearing a girl who talks about the simple things in life she enjoys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'm sure it's just my perception. I figure guys are far too caught up in getting ahead and progress to stop and smell the flowers and I don't pay attention to guys any way so it's the girls that do that get my attention. I find it really attractive hearing a girl who talks about the simple things in life she enjoys.

I think it's more the case that lots of men would still never consider talking about the little things that make them happy, as they wouldn't see it as a manly thing to do (not as many as in the past though). They might notice such things but it'd never even occur to them to express this, so you probably just hear more women talk about things they've noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 neumie

Getting into a cold bed and having it slowly warm up while the rest of the room is still cold. Makes getting out of bed in the morning more difficult though :(.

Being in the passenger seat of a car on a trip while its lashing rain. Not so much fun for the driver, i know, but as a passenger its nice.

Finding an unexpected but very nice piece of music in a soundtrack to something (I mostly listen to music from computer games). I found a really nice one called tyria awaits from the Guild wars 2 soundtrack.

Walking on fresh snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Not having to set an alarm in the morning and walking up naturally

hearing the pounding rain on the window while I'm in bed

When you think you have no crisps left and you find one cheeky one at the end of the bag

When you are really stressed out or upset and someone hugs you

a nice cold pillow

Scrunching through frosty grass early on winter mornings

Being so lost in a book when you stop reading you have no idea what day it is.

When your feet get really sore from your shoes and you get to take them off and put on warm fluffy socks

When you find a documentary that you really really enjoy

When you are cold or feel horrible, and you get to have a nice warm shower

When a family member/friend/partner tell you that they love you

Spending ages cleaning my room, and afterwards getting to admire how nice it looks

Ice cold milk

When you are really really hungry and you are about to get up to make something to eat, and instead someone makes it for you

Going downstairs and finding that there is post for me.

Lying on my bed and listening to my favourite music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

neumie wrote: »
    Walking on fresh snow.

Oooh, this! I love that crunch with each step.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

A cold crisp Saturday morning in Dublin in February or March when Ireland are playing a home game and in the 6 nations and you're making your way to the aviva for the early kick off. It's not even the pre match pints or any of that craic it's just the sense of buzz and anticipation.

Preparing the dinner for my wife and listening to off the ball on newstalk. Hanging on the every word of Eoin mcdevitt, Ciaran Murphy and ken earley.

Choosing your captain wisely in fantasy football.

Coming off the motorway in kilbeggan as I know it will only be a couple more minutes before I see my mam and dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

When I come home from a night shift, and the doggy comes bounding towards me full of affection and excitement as if i've been gone for months :)

Fresh sheets.

Having a catch up with great friends you haven't seen in awhile.

Being appreciated for your hard work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Running.

Just getting your lungs full of oxygen and feeling alive as you speed up !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Knowing that you nearly died and survived.
    Finding out that what you thought was your life and now is not, and that the alternative is so much better.
    Seeing yourself for who you are not who you thought you were.

And snow,

And rain when you are indoors:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Watching buckets of rain from the inside with some coffee. The final half hour or so build up to big games. Calling home from abroad and hearing my mother's delight, and hearing my dad trying to play it cool even at 58 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

The glorious smell of my neighbour's cherry blossom trees wafting in the window on a (now rare) warm summer's day .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Waking up to a good morning text.

Counting down the days to things, like this day next month my sister comes to visit, haven't seen her all year.

Getting letters and parcels in the post from people and not banks!

Skyping a dog and he seems to recognize your voice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Fresh sheets on a well made bed

Thunderstorms

Dark side of the moon (unexpected is best)

Chocolate lava Cakes

A nice pint of Guinness

Ice cold cider on a stinking hot day

Swimming in a lake with Tea-tree oil in it (strange sensation on skin)

Vanilla (scent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Nothing makes me happier than snow.

Ill sound like a right mentler now.....but the time of the bad snow, I walked outside in my winter coat and wellies, complete silence! Just the sound of the snow crunching under my feet as I walked and me sniffling. Felt like I was alone in the world.

I actually cried I was so happy. Felt completely euphoric.

I love snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Not having a hangover after a heavy night of beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

At the moment 'Cosmic Dancer' by T.Rex is making me very happy. The strings and guitar are to die for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

the moment you hear your kids rustling about in the morning jumping into your bed foir a cuddle :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Knowing what you've to do in work later and looking forward to it.
    Enjoying the work i do and knowing its helping people

When you walk past someone who takes your fancy so you look back at them and when you turn around they're doing the same

When something funny happens that you shouldn't laugh at but knowing you shouldn't laugh makes you laugh more and trying to hold it in only creates more hilarity
    thinking back over the above later on in the day and still cracking up!

Getting in from the cold and rain, putting on clean socks and tracksuit bottoms and having a cup of tea.

When it actually genuinely sinks in that your problems, as **** as they make you feel right now, aren't half as bad as they could be and you honestly feel thankful.

Oh and being at a match with someone who supports the same team as you as passionately as you do and celebrating a win with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Scoring a goal! No matter how old or young you are or what level you are playing at you will always get a little buzz inside as that ball crosses the goal line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

waking up to a beautiful sunrise

mild air

bacon

plaid flannel tops

getting into the bed when it's warm (electric blanket)

the smell of wood burning

the smell of fresh ground coffee

putting on clean clothes fresh out of the dryer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Setting fire to things.

Farting in bed and ducking under the blankets.

A child's first swearword.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

rogieop wrote: »
    waking up naturally on my day off, no noise, no alarm, just coming around, then going downstairs making a coffee and chilling out knowing ive the whole day to myself!

Until the missus tells to you do that thing she's being nagging you about for a while now :pac:

For me:

Walking out the door from work at 6pm on a Friday, knowing that I'm not working for the next 2 days.

Sitting on the couch, beer and some tunes:

Speaking of which, Queen songs always brighten up the day :pac:

A nice coffee on a cold, winter morning.

Looking out the window and seeing it's pissing rain as you're inside melting from the furnace of a fire beside you.

Opening a fresh tube of Pringles.

Bowl of Coco Pops and early Saturday morning TV :D

A good long, hot fart in the morning.............only coming from me, though.

Decide to watch The Simpsons on TV and it's one of the old and great episodes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement