Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vhi Global health insurance reviews?

Options
  • 27-09-2012 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

My husband and I are current VHI customers but are going abroad for 9 months. We have been looking at two insurers for cover: trailinders and vhi global health insurance.

The hubby rathers VHI because we can go back to our previous cover without a 'break in service' when we return home. (Which is the main reason we'd go with them over trailfinders.)

The problem is I've heard some horrible stories of experiences with VHI Global health insurance from people who used it. :confused: I.e. them being extremly awkward to deal with and using delaying tactics for payments. (Although in saying that my experience at home with them is very good.)

It is a very expensive policy so I don't want to throw money away and worry about the cover.

Has anyone any postive or negative experiences with VHI global?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

We used vhi global in 2007 when we were travelling. I think it cost us at the time about 2500. We (thankfully) never needed to use it abroad but we got it for the same reasons you're thinking (no break in cover). I think we got a partial refund too as we only went away for 11 months and we returned to vhi when we got home.

Probably not any help to you because we didn't need to use it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Lillydee wrote: »
    My husband and I are current VHI customers but are going abroad for 9 months. We have been looking at two insurers for cover: trailinders and vhi global health insurance.

Are you going travelling or are you taking up residence in another state, if the latter then you might want to check the health insurance requirements in the host country. For instance here in Switzerland you would be required to take out local health insurance and the VHI Global Health Insurance is not acceptable as an alternative. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Another alternative; subject to when your renewal date is; lower cover to far less expensive plan than you were previously on and take out cheaper travel cover. There are other bespoke options available. Waiting periods maintained and increase cover at next renewal date. Upgrade waiting periods would apply though or change insurer who recognise other International cover plans for waiting periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Lillydee

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Are you going travelling or are you taking up residence in another state, if the latter then you might want to check the health insurance requirements in the host country. For instance here in Switzerland you would be required to take out local health insurance and the VHI Global Health Insurance is not acceptable as an alternative. Just a thought.

Hi jim thanks for the advice, I think we're ok on that front as we'll be moving around alot and not resident in any area.

Thanks broker,
    We considered that before but the fact that there is a waiting period for some services once you upgrade back to the orignal plan was a worry, also budget wont allow for keeping health insurance at home and getting travel insurance while away (wish it would!). I wouldn't venture outside of trailfinders for cheaper travel cover as they are very reputable and you really do get what you pay for when you compare like for like to other travel insurance providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bwcallaghan

Hi,

I am looking at this also , does anyone know for Australia if there is any downside to getting VHI Global Health Cover??

I know there is some basic level of cover offered to Irish Citizens (non student visa) in Australia but I would probably want some insurance to back this up also. The problem is I am not sure how long I will be in Australia so I don't know whether to just cut the insurance and seek something in Australia or keep some insurance policy alive in Ireland in case I return inside 12 months so that I am not hit with waiting periods as a new customer again.

I have let my policy lapse last November however I am inside the 13 week period to renew without a break in cover ( though I have just realized I need to back date the payments if I stay with VHI)

Also are there any alternative insurers offering Global Health Cover like this , I had thought that Aviva offered something but apparently not after ringing them ,a search seems to only turn up VHI from Global Health cover

Thanks

• Advertisement

I rang aviva today and they said they didn't offer this , are you sure it isn't a product just for the UK market?

Yes they do via their UK office.Get a quote and compare price and cover to VHI. AVIVA will also recognise cover for waiting periods in Irish market when you come back.

Thanks , will give them a ring in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Souness

I used them when I took a year out in Spain last year. Unfortunately I did need them. I had an accident and crushed a vertebrae. I spent 10 days in hospital during which vhi rang multiple times asking me for medical records. At the time I was in a lot of pain and couldn't move and found this an additional stress I didn't need. I couldn't understand why they didn't communicate directly with the hospital. This went on every day until the hospital confirmed with me that the EHC card covered all hospital expenses and I passed this information on to vhi lady that was calling. Communication afterwards about covering additional expenses (missed ferry, meds and brace) was very laborious and in the end the meager payout hardly worth the hassle. Overall I found the whole process to be very unsatisfactory and still cannot understand how a large insurance company would not have the ability to deal directly with the Spanish hospital system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement