Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Neighbors [ABC - US]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

have you actually watched it richard,

cause i thought it was pretty good, there been a lot of bashing of this show on some sites, but it was a good pilot and my biggest complaint was that the humor was a little to dry, but id say theyll get into the groove of it after a few episodes,

out of the half hour comedy pilots ive seen (ben and kate, go on, the new normal) so far this was the best one,

ill be watching more of it anyway,

I must say that I had low expectations for this but it's nowhere near as bad as I feared. The concept is novel and it's certainly different which is welcome when you consider how many sitcoms are simply rehashing the same old plots, at least with this we may see something somewhat original fined one with the tired sitcom plots. There were a few decent laughs, the cast is good and there's a lot that can be done with the concept.

That said I Don't see this lasting long but I'll certainly be checking out the next few episodes as its perhaps the strongest of the newer comedies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Have to admit I hadnt heard about it until I saw this thread but after watching the first episode its not too bad. As darko said it certainly is a novel concept and I could do with having something a bit different to watch.

strong debut with 9.2 million viewers but it did shed about 5 million viewers from its modern family lead in,

also meant to say i liked the Fallout 3 music playing at dinner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That was strangely decent..

.. not amazing - a tad silly, but it knows it!

I'll keep watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I loved it...
    Thought it was unique and has a great cast...

The tall alien should be familiar to most film fans. He's played by Doug Jones who is usually seen under a ton of prosthetics, most famously as Abe Sapian in Hellboy 1and 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ based on yáll comments i watched it, i liked it alot!...whacky, nuts....but it does remind me of recent shows like Subugatory, there was some good laughs a lines in there but i'm just not sure the US audience will take to it, but yes i agree it's something different.

The tall alien should be familiar to most film fans. He's played by Doug Jones who is usually seen under a ton of prosthetics, most famously as Abe Sapian in Hellboy 1and 2.
    And let's not forget both Faun and The Pale Man in 'Pan's Labyrinth'..

art_of_deception.jpg

Michael Bay!.........:D

• Advertisement

Michael Bay!.........:D
    jesus are you actually enjoying it richard, after your thumbs down on thread title;):D

the second episode was good, having them freak out in the car, and then being calm when marty turned on the music:D, i would have liked to see how they paid for the stuff though, it would be funny if marty and abby came around when they found out they have endless free money or something,

i was thinking during the 2nd episode if they go to school wont they have to say their kids are adopted or something, whatever about dickus, reggie is never gonna get away with saying their his parents:D

this show has endless possibilities, with the aliens at this point having absolutely no human interaction, and never leaving the estate,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

don ramo wrote: »
    jesus are you actually enjoying it richard, after your thumbs down on thread title;):D

Thumbs down icon removed. Let people make up their own mind about (rather than be influenced by the OP).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Great second episode, loved the "John 3:16" and "Freebird" as they were leaving for the mall :)

Larry's the standout character so far, "Ladies first" "Preposterous!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

I caught episode 1 last night. Delighted to see Ep 2 awaits tonight. I laughed so much at this! It's so different and so out there and so mad you couldn't help but like it. OK, I'm a nerd and like my scifi and wacky stuff so this fit right in with my tastes! It was an incredibly strong pilot I thought.

It reminded me of Suburgatory mixed with 3rd Rock From the Sun, only with the aliens being the dominant group. The scenes where they reveal themselves were fantastic! "It appears our little Dick has exposed himself!" and the screams and looks on the faces of the Weevers when the group changed en masse!

I'm rooting for this show now. I really hope it avoids cancellation and, while it won't do great I'd imagine, I hope it hangs in there for a season at least, if not 2.

Really enjoyed the second episode. There's a sweetness to the show that's hard not to warm to and there were some great gags. The new jacket scene was the highlight of the episode.

Got more laughs out of the first 2 episodes of this than any other new comedy this year.

Definitely a winner!

ABC has ordered 3 additional scripts, it's not an official back 9 episode pickup but it's usually a good sign of same: http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/10/the-neighbors-abc-orders-3-scripts.html

Half way through episode 3 and by God but this is easily the best new comedy on. More laughs per episode than all the others combined. The Real Housewives bit was genius and had me nearly spitting a mouthful of tea at the TV. Don't think I've laughed so long and so hard at any comedy in recent memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Completely agree.
    I think it's fantastic. Hope it garners up a bit of a following though.

Completely agree.
    I think it's fantastic. Hope it garners up a bit of a following though.

It's doing pretty well ratings wise and the addition script order is a good sign so I imagine that the show should last beyond the first season. Hopefully the scripts will be as consistent as the pat 3 weeks have been, lat nights episode in particular managed to toe the line between sentimentality and genuine belly laughs in a manner that only few other shows (Modern Family, Community) have successfully done. The closing moments of the show with Where is My Mind? playing was beautifully done. Never thought that this would be the standout show of the new season, long may it last.

• Advertisement

"i did not see that coming"....:D
    That was genius!.....with the blue screen tv then power save mode :p
    The Real Housewives stuff with Jackie talking to camera was awesome!....man that actress can do accents!

Good parody of them dire Bravo shows as well, did any spot Mary Cherry? ;)
    Brilliant third ep. - much better then last week!

4/5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Power Saver Mode.

:)

Superb stuff... and plus points for using a bit of The Pixies.

Jackie is hot! Yummy Mummy!

"I'm just here to hang wit de bitches". What a fantastic episode! Best one so far! I'm really hoping this show continues in the fashion we've become accustomed to. Best fall comedy by a long shot I think.

Have rewatched the final scene of the last episode a dozen times over the past days. It's just a fantastic moment, there's an infectious joy to it that's hard not to get swept away in. Really just a wonderful moment that just showed how much warmth there is in the show.

ATM I'm watching the entire episode for the second time and it's still funny. Really hope that the show survives, I imagine that if it does, in a few years I'll be walking around in a Neighbours tshirt that no one seems to get much like I do now with my numerous Community tshirts.

I was chatting with Dennis Rodman at our weekly nuclear safety meeting, and he told me that Venus Williams caught Mike Tyson feeding Maria Sharapova’s alpaca tulips from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s garden. I think we all know what that means.:D:D:D

great show, already one of my favorites:)

"we just grounded Reggie Jackson" :D

The weakest episode to date but still plenty of laughs to be had. Nice to see them expand beyond the world a little and I really love how the show can use such simple things as understanding sarcasm to create laughs.

• Advertisement

feel like that was a missed opportunity to have them all running around the neighborhood in there natural form,

i was waiting for them to clap their hands when the gate opened:D

don ramo wrote: »
    feel like that was a missed opportunity to have them all running around the neighborhood in there natural form,

i was waiting for them to clap their hands when the gate opened:D

Yup...weakest episode to date, i hate these network enforced "themed" episodes :rolleyes:

Ah it wasn't that bad at all. Even if it was a weak ep as some seem to think, it was a heck of a lot better than episodes of other comedies. I actually thought it was very good indeed! The scene at the end with both kids as cross dressers was great, as was the young fella dressing up as Debbie Weaver, and the pupper comments were great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Been really enjoying it so far. Laugh a lot more than other so-called 'comedies'.

Thought this weeks episode was excellent and a real step up from last week. There were a dozen great lines and done truly fantastic sight gags. The way the show can take tired premises such as a Halloween episode and do something original and fun with then is the shows strongest quality. Really enjoyed the kid dressed up as Jackie and I really want one of those puppets.

Dick Buttkiss as Jackie stole the show.. hilarious!

• Advertisement

WOOT!....back 9 order = full season pickup!!

Earth Invasion! ......:eek:

I knew it!....haha, that instructional video let the preverbial cat ot of the bag! :D

Phase one, start with the bees......:p

"seductive pur".......:p

Absolutely brilliant last episode. Couldn't stop laughing.

Hehe!!....:p , in episode 2 or 3 they made a joke about Michael Bay...remember when yer man was talking about Transformers and how Bay seemed to know way too much etc., and Debbie Weaver says....how do they know about Michael Bay? ;)

Well, i guess the man heard that joke and....guest apperance playing himself!...as an alien i bet! :p

http://tvline.com/2012/11/13/the-neighbors-season-1-cast-michael-bay-himself/#utm_source=copypaste&utm_campaign=referral

lol....this is gonna be a blast if they do it right! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

The Thanksgiving episode was decent. It was the first episode I've watched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Loved the xmas episode (even if it is a bit early for it)
    Larry is one of my favourite comedy characters at the moment and he was on fire this week. Him talking to siri had me lolling

All the sitcoms seem to have their Christmas episodes this week.. and this was one of the better ones!

Larry Bird is great, but Dick Butkus does tend to make me LOL more than any other character!

i just hit puberty:D:D:D

and the gingerbread man was just pure gold, wish they had done more with that :D:D:D

I've really gone off this show, the last few eps. have been terrible and unfunny!

I'm still loving it. Just about died in the cold episode when Jackie started the 'nurturing'. Haven't had a chance to catch the latest one yet, but looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

This show is something else. It is really enjoyable.

I thought the Country Club episode was a bit flat but the show is still miles better than anything else out there. Even flat episodes have great moments, like Larry ranting about how middle class white people deserved a break. It's one of my favourite shows this season! I hope we get a second season out of it.

My god! Last night's episode was one of the best episodes of any comedy show I've seen in ages! Jackie calling Giselle a slut and Larry trying to pick a fight with Marty were epic, especially Larry calling Debbie 'easy'. Just watching Debbie's advice going way out of control and leading to events she'd never imaged was class! Giselle's mother had one line but it was almost enough to steal the episode!

I was afraid the show was getting comfortable and was setting into that 'half the time funny, the other half meh' pattern that seems to happen with US comedies but they just upped a gear this week. I don't expect next week to be on the same level but if we get a few more like this before the season finishes then I think the show will end up in my legendary shows list. I'm hoping it doesn't end up in my legendary cancelled shows list.

Looking like a lock for renewal imo, though must admit the last few episodes have been a bit weak on the laughs.

The most recent one wasn't great.. but I did love the Third Eye Blind 'Semi Charmed Life' reference!

Sandra Bernhard is looking really old!

• Advertisement
Advertisement