Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know it's christmas when you hear this song

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

nah, too maudlin, fighting and crying.
    I prefer my christmas to be happy, joyful and not be in a paralytic state of drunkeness at a bar. :D:D I think a lot of people "like" this song because they are "supposed" to like it, but in reality they just "grin and bear it".

I think people like this song because its real... It's dark and cold, and at the same time has a wonderful positive message beneath the darker parts of life! The commitment of people to their partners through the harder parts of life, maybe Christmas is one time of the year that people consider the important people in their life!

Christmas isn't just for the happy happy families in the world. Some people have it tough and I think this song was written from their perspective! It has real deep meaning! Like the thoughts that a bit of luck on a horse might mean the sign of better things to come. Can you not see a chap down on his luck seeing things in that way? "Got on a lucky one, came in at 18 to 1, I've got a feeling, this years for me and you, So happy Christmas, I love you baby, I can see only better times when all our dreams come true" ?

It's gritty and tough, but also poetic and soft... It's a jaysus masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Deedsie wrote: »
    I think people like this song because its real... It's dark and cold, and at the same time has a wonderful positive message beneath the darker parts of life! The commitment of people to their partners through the harder parts of life, maybe Christmas is one time of the year that people consider the important people in their life!

Christmas isn't just for the happy happy families in the world. Some people have it tough and I think this song was written from their perspective! It has real deep meaning! Like the thoughts that a bit of luck on a horse might mean the sign of better things to come. Can you not see a chap down on his luck seeing things in that way? "Got on a lucky one, came in at 18 to 1, I've got a feeling, this years for me and you, So happy Christmas, I love you baby, I can see only better times when all our dreams come true" ?

It's gritty and tough, but also poetic and soft... It's a jaysus masterpiece

nah, i find it so depressing. Christmas is about being happy. I don't think there is such a thing as a "happy happy family" - I think every family has their own issues. But at least make an effort to be happy instead of sitting at a bar talking sh*te due to being so drunk you can't even think straight. It's the drink talking, and as usual talking sh*te in this song - you can hear it any day of the week, not just at christmas. :D:D

it ruins my Christmas every year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion and their own taste in their favourite Christmas songs, so let's leave the thread to be what it should - naming the song that makes you feel like it's Christmas :)

star-pants wrote: »
    I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion and their own taste in their favourite Christmas songs, so let's leave the thread to be what it should - naming the song that makes you feel like it's Christmas :)

Yup, sorry didn't mean to bring it off topic!

star-pants wrote: »

wow, me and deeds were only having a banter. nothing serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

http://youtu.be/K16CRyfqwdg

I like the manic street preachers version above... The Wham version is just horrid. The music video just makes me cringe, this is just my opinion. Obviously plenty of people love it. Just not for me.

]

:eek: you are banished from this forum! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I love 'Stop the Cavalry' and am always thrilled the first time I hear it played at Christmas time. Sorry, Fishy, I know it's about being miserable at Christmas away from home, fighting a in the trenches of the first world war, but it's my favourite! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Posy wrote: »
    I love 'Stop the Cavalry' and am always thrilled the first time I hear it played at Christmas time. Sorry, Fishy, I know it's about being miserable at Christmas away from home, fighting a in the trenches of the first world war, but it's my favourite! ;)

Absolutely adore this one! One of my favourites. I can picture it now. Me browsing through the packed shops and bum bum bum da dum playing - ooh the excitement, only 73 days to go or 10 weeks which sounds really close if you ask me!

leahyl wrote: »
    :eek: you are banished from this forum! :pac:

Sorry LeahyL, wham is just not for me. (Apart from jitterbug) The ones I like most are:

Fairy tale of New York - pogues and Kirsty
    Merry Christmas everyone - Shakin Stevens
    Little drummer boy - Bing and Bowie
    Paul McArtney - Pipes of Peace
    Christmas No1 - Zig and Zag
    Let it snow - Dean Martin
    And I like the Bublé Christmas Album

I hope that list will make you rethink my banishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Sorry LeahyL, wham is just not for me. (Apart from jitterbug) The ones I like most are:

Fairy tale of New York - pogues and Kirsty
    Merry Christmas everyone - Shakin Stevens
    Little drummer boy - Bing and Bowie
    Paul McArtney - Pipes of Peace
    Christmas No1 - Zig and Zag
    Let it snow - Dean Martin
    And I like the Bublé Christmas Album

I hope that list will make you rethink my banishment?

I was just kidding with ya Deedsie;) With Let it Snow on that list you are definitely not banished!:D

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    I was just kidding with ya Deedsie;) With Let it Snow on that list you are definitely not banished!:D

Glad to hear it, i like this forum. Ah I know you we're only kidding :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Glad to hear it, i like this forum. Ah I know you we're only kidding :-)
    I'm not kidding! No Wham and you put Zig and Zag and the Bublé on your list???!

Be gone heathen!!! :eek:

Well okay, I'll forgive you since you have Let it Snow there, but it was a close call!! :p

Well okay, I'll forgive you since you have Let it Snow there, but it was a close call!! :p

He's a-comin', not a-runnin'
    He's got eight reindeer and lots of good cheer
    He's a movin', and a-groovin'
    Hey Santa baby why don't you break it down?

Zig & Zag were brilliant at Christmas when I was young. The Christmas specials on RTÉ from 1990 - 1994 were brilliant. Christmas No.1 is the first tape I ever bought. Still have it.

I like Bublé around Christmas, it goes well in the background.

He's a-comin', not a-runnin'
    He's got eight reindeer and lots of good cheer
    He's a movin', and a-groovin'
    Hey Santa baby why don't you break it down?

Zig & Zag were brilliant at Christmas when I was young. The Christmas specials on RTÉ from 1990 - 1994 were brilliant. Christmas No.1 is the first tape I ever bought. Still have it.

I like Bublé around Christmas, it goes well in the background.

i actually love it too, for nostalgia reasons. :D

I took up the guitar this year, (first new years resolution i ever kept). I learned how to play Merry Christmas Everyone by shakin Stevens over the weekend! Really easy, I thought it would be handy to know next month :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I took up the guitar this year, (first new years resolution i ever kept). I learned how to play Merry Christmas Everyone by shakin Stevens over the weekend! Really easy, I thought it would be handy to know next month :-)

How did you find learning how to play the guitar in general? Every year I'm saying I'd love to learn!

Be real handy especially this time of year!

lockie1983 wrote: »
    How did you find learning how to play the guitar in general? Every year I'm saying I'd love to learn!

Be real handy especially this time of year!

It was tough at the start I thought I'd never get the hang of it... Then recently it just clicked in a kind of karate kid wax on/wax off moment!

I only started in April really, basically I played E Minor, A Minor, C, G, D, E, A & F bar chord. I then played the same in reverse and then play a combination or a shuffle if you will of all of them. I play a down down up up down up strum pattern.

I did that a few evenings a week until I started getting quicker/smoother at changing the chords... It wasn't until August I took a shot at learning a song! Justinsandercoes videos on YouTube are class.

The first three months were not really pleasant but now that I can get some bit of sound it was def worth the effort.

I still wouldn't have the confidence of playing in front of people!

Advertisement