Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raleigh, NC

Options
  • 27-09-2012 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm moving to Raleigh for a few months next week. I heard mixed reviews about the area.

A couple I know said that the nightlife isn't great a lot of the people there are a bit stuck up.

So anyone ever been there? What's it like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I was only there once as a child, so I don't have any reviews for you. But I will say that Raleigh is a big enough city that you can probably find whatever you're looking for (and that's why you'd get mixed reviews).

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I did a year in college there and cam say it's a real nice city.
    Nitelife is good,plenty to do decent bars,restaurants and they get a lot of great bands passing through.
    Your only s drive away from Chapel Hill,Wilmington or Myrtle Beach on the weekends.
    Your going to find it surprises you I think,best if luck I wish I could do it all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 miker1983

Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭thecelt

Did you move to NC?
    If so how was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

I lived there 11 years, so I'm curious too as to how he liked it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

I'd be curious to hear also,we moved from Ireland to Charlotte NC 16 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

@ Aprilmay, how do you like Charlotte? I'm in SC now (came back to the beach area where I was born), but spent 10 years in Charlotte before the 11 in Raleigh (went to high school in Charlotte) and IMO they are a good bit different. Charlotte is a good cold tall beer and Raleigh is a glass of red wine. I like both of them, still have family in Charlotte and they love it except for a cousin that moved on to MD. If I had to go back to either of them I'd pick Charlotte, not because of the family but because Raleigh is way too yuppy for me. I think Raleigh has more transplants from "up nawth" and I find some of them a bit too pushy for my blood. They can be nice sometimes but personally I'm more into the laid back southern attitude.

The land is very different in the two cities, Charlotte is flatter and has that red clay, Raleigh is rolling, ok if your young and don't have bad knees. What I'm saying is if you don't like stairs stay away from Raleigh! Both cities have wonderful Shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

@ Aprilmay, how do you like Charlotte? I'm in SC now (came back to the beach area where I was born), but spent 10 years in Charlotte before the 11 in Raleigh (went to high school in Charlotte) and IMO they are a good bit different. Charlotte is a good cold tall beer and Raleigh is a glass of red wine. I like both of them, still have family in Charlotte and they love it except for a cousin that moved on to MD. If I had to go back to either of them I'd pick Charlotte, not because of the family but because Raleigh is way too yuppy for me. I think Raleigh has more transplants from "up nawth" and I find some of them a bit too pushy for my blood. They can be nice sometimes but personally I'm more into the laid back southern attitude.

The land is very different in the two cities, Charlotte is flatter and has that red clay, Raleigh is rolling, ok if your young and don't have bad knees. What I'm saying is if you don't like stairs stay away from Raleigh! Both cities have wonderful Shopping.
    I find Charlotte to be very diverse but when I say that I live in south Charlotte in the Ballantyne area, the public school system in my area is excellent which is the reason why its so diverse.There are lots of first generation Irish living where I am too which is great because we help one another out.
    I love Charlotte's proximity to both the mountains and the beach. We love trips to Biltmore and beach trips to Oak Island which is nice because its not too commercial.
    I will say that Charlotte does have a lot of northerners especially here in South Charlotte/Union county. I work 2 days as a new home sales assistant in a model home and in the last week I have had people from New York, Boston, Chicago, Ohio & Florida. The development is mixed but the amount of people retiring to Charlotte is amazing. I think people are coming here to retire because it offers both beach and mountains instead of Florida.

That and the fact that Charlotte keeps coming up in the top ten best lists.
    We are building a home we bought the end of October - the guy selling has sold 12 homes for Feb and another 2 this week. The prices have gone up almost 10K on the base price. Also talking to realtors the market in Charlotte has come back.
    We love it and our kids love it which wasn't easy in the beginning as they are almost 15 and 12 but they have adjusted to it well.

Charlotte is great for families:) People who meet us even other Irish people are amazed that we came to Charlotte first as they all where somewhere else before finding it, whereas we decided we where going to Charlotte straight off.
    Our family came out here to visit, they were worried about us emigrating but after visiting us here they love it too and think we made the right decision.They cannot wait to come back!

Advertisement