Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hold out for better or take apprenticeship?

Options
  • 27-09-2012 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I need your opinion/advice

Should I wait until I find a tattoo apprenticeship working with better tattoo artists or take the gig now with artists who are only okay for the experience and keep looking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

In general it's easier to find a job when you have a job so I would take on that premise.

I would imagine that there is more people looking to apprentice then there is available slots so again I'd grab it. I would also think that at least for the beginning the average artist will teach you just as well, possibly better then a better artist.

That's my 2c anyway. We'll just have to wait for some of the more experienced guys to come and tell me I'm talking through my hoop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭piercingdanny

WAIT WAIT WAIT !!! If you're not impressed by their work then stay away. You'll only spend a couple of years banging your head against a wall. Use the time to get a portfolio together and start calling into studio's whose work you aspire to be like and ask them for some constructive critiscism. Be ready to get knocked back a few times but persevere with updating your portfolio keeping the critique in mind and if your skills are up to the task you could be lucky. Also think about some 3rd level courses in art. I know a lot of people turn their noses up at the thought of them but I've seen someone come from a course in animation and take up tattooing in no time at all because of the foundation learned in the course. It gave this person a foot in the door in the studio as their artwork and portfolio was out of this world. Learn from the best out there and your progress will be a lot quicker and run a lot smoother. If you're not impressed by the standard in the place that has offered you a start then stay well away from it. It's much harder to unteach bad habits than it is to learn the right way from the start.

Advertisement