Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula E

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Next year's calendar is released. Lots of new places including two double races.
    http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/from-hong-kong-to-new-york/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Good race so far in London. Have had good close racing and plenty of overtakes. There was a safety car too and some excellent and really close racing between the two championship leaders.

Edit. It was an excellent race lots of excitement in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Last race starting in 25 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Lots of drama already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Delboy2015

Wow...first time watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

got it on 3e anywhere else or HD choices?

Shame that it spoils a proper race between the title contenders
    Mech1 wrote: »
    got it on 3e anywhere else or HD choices?

ITV1 HD or youtube maybe

What do you think folks? Deliberate crash?

flazio wrote: »
    What do you think folks? Deliberate crash?

Clumsy but not deliberate, would still deserve a penalty. Fortunately in the end it didn't effect championship result

Ms

Was a very exciting end to this seasons Formula e races. A pity that it will not be in Battersea park anymore was thinking of going there next year.

Did Lucas Di Grasia do it on purpose its hard to know. Looking at the replays it looks had tried to pass Nicolas Prost then he lifted off but Bruno Senna had braked much earlier than he had expected and he ended up going into the back of him. He could have avoided it if he had of turned left in front of Prost as he was a little ahead of him. Its 50/50 I think. He could have thought feck it I am not going to get ahead of these two before the first corner like I thought so I will just crash into the back of Bruno instead and hope to take him out or maybe it was just an accident and Bruno had lifted or braked a lot sooner than he thought he would and he ended up hitting him.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Bumped in to Buemi and Prost at the airport this morning. Didn't look like they had too heavy a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Channel 5 will be showing the races live for the 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That's interesting. I wonder who will pick up the Irish rights as Channel 5 are not on any platforms here.

I know, I know, you can pick it up on FTA satellite but for those without a dish....

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Hopefully those without a dish can find Formula E's YouTube channel, they've streamed races on it before.

astrofluff wrote: »
    That's interesting. I wonder who will pick up the Irish rights as Channel 5 are not on any platforms here.

I know, I know, you can pick it up on FTA satellite but for those without a dish....

3e had the second half of the last season. Plus every session was live on YouTube.

I keep forgetting about the races being online on YouTube.

I would have thought that ITV and 3e were in it for the rights together for both islands. I prefer a TV reception and have a dish so no issue for me! What's good is that Channel 5 is in HD whereas ITV 4 wasn't on FTA satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I keep forgetting about the races being online on YouTube.
    I hope the new TV deal doesn't effect the youtube streams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/09/bmw-announces-new-motorsport-strategy-no-f1-but-wec-and-formula-e-to-feature/

Big Boost for FormulaE with BMW now looking closer into it and formally announcing the partnership with Andretti. With Jaguar and Renault the series seems now really well positioned.

I'm surprised Tesla hasn't shown any interest yet.

I am wondering that NASCAR hasn't show any interest in running a show series with eEngines. Because a NASCAR itself has 2500 kg (AFAIR), so enough potential to fit a large battery in it.
    And for rising companies like Tesla an optimal playing field. Also for green PR highly interesting.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Harika wrote: »
    https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/09/bmw-announces-new-motorsport-strategy-no-f1-but-wec-and-formula-e-to-feature/

Big Boost for FormulaE with BMW now looking closer into it and formally announcing the partnership with Andretti. With Jaguar and Renault the series seems now really well positioned.
    Don,t forget Citroen are there to with the DS brand also Audi and Mahindra as well

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Formula e 2016/2017 season starts this weekend with some interesting venues along the way. Only two races between now and Christmas though.

Round | Race | Date
    R1 | Hong Kong | 09 OCT 16
    R2 | Marrakesh | 12 NOV 16
    R3 | Buenos Aires | 18 FEB 17
    R4 | Mexico City | 01 APR 17
    R5 | Monaco | 13 MAY 17
    R6 | Paris | 20 MAY 17
    R7 | Berlin | 10 JUN 17
    R8 | Brussels | 01 JUL 17
    R9 | New York | 15 JUL 17
    R10 | New York | 16 JUL 17
    R11 | Montreal | 29 JUL 17
    R12 | Montreal | 30 JUL 17

So for this weekend, the coverage is as follows:

Channel 5 Season Preview at 11:00 on Saturday 8th

Hong Kong FE Race on Sunday 9th at 8:30am, 3e (Ireland) and Channel 5 (UK)

What's interesting is the switch from a Saturday race to a Sunday race. I had a look at the programme for the weekend and there's an eGolf race on on the Saturday. I'd be interested in watching this (an electric touring cars version!!).

hk_schedule_satsun.jpeg?width=442.73127753303964&height=500

Ms

Formula e 2016/2017 season starts this weekend with some interesting venues along the way. Only two races between now and Christmas though.

Round | Race | Date
    R1 | Hong Kong | 09 OCT 16
    R2 | Marrakesh | 12 NOV 16
    R3 | Buenos Aires | 18 FEB 17
    R4 | Mexico City | 01 APR 17
    R5 | Monaco | 13 MAY 17
    R6 | Paris | 20 MAY 17
    R7 | Berlin | 10 JUN 17
    R8 | Brussels | 01 JUL 17
    R9 | New York | 15 JUL 17
    R10 | New York | 16 JUL 17
    R11 | Montreal | 29 JUL 17
    R12 | Montreal | 30 JUL 17

So for this weekend, the coverage is as follows:

Channel 5 Season Preview at 11:00 on Saturday 8th

Hong Kong FE Race on Sunday 9th at 8:30am, 3e (Ireland) and Channel 5 (UK)

What's interesting is the switch from a Saturday race to a Sunday race. I had a look at the programme for the weekend and there's an eGolf race on on the Saturday. I'd be interested in watching this (an electric touring cars version!!).

hk_schedule_satsun.jpeg?width=442.73127753303964&height=500

Interesting. Only ten race venues do. Thats less than half what F1 have. Why have two races in one venue when there is plenty of city,s that want to host an Fe race. I do find that strange. Surly having more venues would be better.

Only have to choose which channel to watch it on now. I think I will try Channel 5 and record it on 3e.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Channel 5 won't have studio guests. They'll be showing same as 3e and Youtube.
    At least with Youtube you can get it in HD.

If you have satellite, Channel 5 is in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

That's a massive coup for FE. To get the reigning F1 champion team on board.

But also a danger, as Mercedes has a reputation to spend the competition to death see old DTM, ITC and GT1.

• Advertisement

But also a danger, as Mercedes has a reputation to spend the competition to death see old DTM, ITC and GT1.
    I'd say Merc has already spent that money and they know going in they have an advantage.

Merc have been dabbling in electric powered cars for a while, they made the first electric sports car that takes full advantage of electric engines. Putting a motor at each wheel and featuring torque vectoring that doesn't rely on the brakes.. The only problem at the time was the battery lasted something like 8 minutes when you drove the car hard and not much longer if you took it easy. But while it was running it was incredibly fast.

At the time I remember they were working on a new battery that was at least half the weight and lasting twice as long. I think the figures may have been even better than those I just can't remember off the top of my head. So they probably have that battery ready to go and will be able to make a car that's much lighter than anyone else.

Adam Carroll is racing for Jaguar...I didn't know he was racing in F-e

I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how the roborace thing works out, could be plenty of potential from crashes

Formula E could very well end up being more popular...

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Abt/status/785438921484361732

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I hate to rain on your parade, but that appears to be a Hong Kong newspaper. :o

Ssshush, nobody will know ;)

• Advertisement

No more F-E on youtube? I went to try and watch the HK race and there was only a 5 minute highlight reel.

Seems like they put all race videos to private, so cannot be accessed anymore. At least on their homepage you see that the videos were uploaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Watched the race live for the first time last Sunday, taking advantage of it being right after the Japanese GP.

What to say...there's potential, but it was quite a bit "meh" if I have to be honest.

It's got nothing to do with sound - if anything, the whine from the cars has an interestingly futuristic aura about it, and neither the speed (or lack thereof) is a problem; For example Touring cars tend to be even slower but you'd be hard pressed finding a boring race in these categories. What I'd call "production" values were also good - the music, the TV coverage, all very well crafted and, dare I say, with a "Nascar-ish" feel about it.

The cars look absolutely horrendous and, for the life of me, I can't understand why they didn't go for a classic single-seater design, which would also have served to underline the idea that EVs don't necessarily need to look ugly, silly, something out of Star Trek or in any way peculiar design-wise when compared to ICE engined ones.

The giant, huge, glaring issue was the Mickey Mouse track. Completely unsuitable even for bicycle racing, let alone cars. If the idea is to promote EVs with the public, they need to go a bit bigger when it comes to tracks - show that these cars can take on similar tracks to the ones combustion powered cars race on. I understand the idea of having races in the city centres, but make the tracks a bit wider and less twisty. Driving was occasionally appaling - although there were some good showings from select drivers.

All in all the idea is good and the potential huge - if there are any massive breakthroughs to be made in terms of battery efficiency, weight saving and duration, Formula E has the opportunity to be the platform of choice for these advances.

There are a couple of races this year on well known tracks, or a variant of them anyway.
    Monaco and Mexico city. Shortened versions however because the range of the cars is still pretty low.

Ms

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Watched the race live for the first time last Sunday, taking advantage of it being right after the Japanese GP.

What to say...there's potential, but it was quite a bit "meh" if I have to be honest.

It's got nothing to do with sound - if anything, the whine from the cars has an interestingly futuristic aura about it, and neither the speed (or lack thereof) is a problem; For example Touring cars tend to be even slower but you'd be hard pressed finding a boring race in these categories. What I'd call "production" values were also good - the music, the TV coverage, all very well crafted and, dare I say, with a "Nascar-ish" feel about it.

The cars look absolutely horrendous and, for the life of me, I can't understand why they didn't go for a classic single-seater design, which would also have served to underline the idea that EVs don't necessarily need to look ugly, silly, something out of Star Trek or in any way peculiar design-wise when compared to ICE engined ones.

The giant, huge, glaring issue was the Mickey Mouse track. Completely unsuitable even for bicycle racing, let alone cars. If the idea is to promote EVs with the public, they need to go a bit bigger when it comes to tracks - show that these cars can take on similar tracks to the ones combustion powered cars race on. I understand the idea of having races in the city centres, but make the tracks a bit wider and less twisty. Driving was occasionally appaling - although there were some good showings from select drivers.

All in all the idea is good and the potential huge - if there are any massive breakthroughs to be made in terms of battery efficiency, weight saving and duration, Formula E has the opportunity to be the platform of choice for these advances.

Sundays race was not the most exciting and it was a new track.

The cars look absolutely horrendous.

They were revamped for this year as the front wings on the old cars had a heavy aerodynamic wheel guard on them that caused a lot of hassle and broke to easily. I don,t think the cars are horrendous they are a bit odd from some angles and nice from others but not horrendous.

I don,t think they are going to make the tracks wider anytime soon as the tight tracks make the cars look like they are going faster than they are a wider track would make the cares seem slower and they know that also been in city centres space is tight. I like that the tracks are twisty it keeps the drivers alert and creates chances for passing.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I wish they would try Singapore. If you look at the layout there is a perfect short version available.

Marakesh event on today however the YouTube live feed has been geoblocked.

Looks like the race is on at 4pm on 3e, same time as F1 quali. Not good planning as F1 would be the preference for most IMO. But hey, if you don't have Sky then you not at a loss!!

flazio wrote: »
    Marakesh event on today however the YouTube live feed has been geoblocked.

odd it's blocked, the online coverage was one of the big advantages of formula-e

odd it's blocked, the online coverage was one of the big advantages of formula-e

I think it's due to TV3 airing it here on 3e...commercial rights and whatnot.

Still, they can't seem to understand the public has changed, and they don't necessarily want/can be plopped on the couch to watch (I'd rather be doing something on the PC with the race on YT on the secondary screen :D).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I think it's due to TV3 airing it here on 3e...commercial rights and whatnot.

But 3e have the race itself only; so now we have no coverage of free practice or qualifying.

At least the VLC streams still work: http://aos001feh-live.hls.adaptive.level3.net/formulae/live/wif/streamVideo2000.m3u8
    Qualifying being replayed on the stream right now.

Ms

Channel 5 have the race live too and there coverage starts from 3.30pm. I think they show highlights of it on Sunday too but don,t know at what time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    But 3e have the race itself only; so now we have no coverage of free practice or qualifying.

At least the VLC streams still work: http://aos001feh-live.hls.adaptive.level3.net/formulae/live/wif/streamVideo2000.m3u8
    Qualifying being replayed on the stream right now.

Sneaking suspicion they got the whole thing, but only air the race itself...the usual crud they have on 3e definitely attracts more viwership than Formula E :(

Ms

Anyone know if and when the race is repeated on Channel 5 anytime and was the race any good?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Anyone know if and when the race is repeated on Channel 5 anytime and was the race any good?

Didn't see the race either

Channel 5 highlights not listed on the formula e website, only bt sport seems to have highlights, tomorrow at 1800 and a few other days. Maybe full highlights will appear on you tube eventually

edit: Think i'll just watch the 5 minutes of highlights

• Advertisement
Advertisement