Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TITLE EDIT..DIFFERENCES IN GENERATIONAL EDUCATION AND CUTE WHOORISM CULTURE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I would agree with you 100% and purely based on my own experiences but most girls are disastrous when put in any type of (even slightly) pressurised work situation

So are most men :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

Where To wrote: »
    So you're doing a job anyone could do.

Why the need for so much arrogance in your posts then? Do your job to the best of your ability, there's wasters and chancers in every profession, not much you can do about that.

I'm not having a go at you by the way, you just need to lighten up a bit.

No not anyone could do it. Infact it is a very difficult job to do (interpretation) (translation is easier). It would take someone years to start from scratch. But the rewards are good. And i like it:)

And if you are a chancer in my profession you would get found out at about 3 mins in.:)

Yes i should lighten up.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

gozunda wrote: »
    Oh dear...,.

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Op if you were in court charged with a string of driving offences which of the following would you prefer to be represented by.

1) A solicitor with a masters and two languages who has been practicing for a couple of years.

2) A Garda of 15 years experience who has decided to try his hand as a defence solicitor and has only basic qualification.

Education isn't everything op. experience and knowledge will always be more important.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Oh dear...,.

That's what i always say......

No not anyone could do it. Infact it is a very difficult job to do (interpretation) (translation is easier). It would take someone years to start from scratch. But the rewards are good. And i like it:)

And if you are a chancer in my profession you would get found out at about 3 mins in.:)

Yes i should lighten up.:)

I'm not sure I get what's different about your job. You don't need to have any qualification just fluency in 2 or more languages. My mum uses them and they're usually stay at home mums. Smaller businesses use foreign students.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Op if you were in court charged with a string of driving offences which of the following would you prefer to be represented by.

1) A solicitor with a masters and two languages who has been practicing for a couple of years.

2) A Garda of 15 years experience who has decided to try his hand as a defence solicitor and has only basic qualification.

Education isn't everything op. experience and knowledge will always be more important.

It's Ireland, I'd go with the guard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ficheall wrote: »
    Again your lack of logic is more revealing of you than the op

You have stated that those with a higher level of education are unable to boil an egg!

So therefore if you are qualified you can't look after yourself!

You might want to check your own "logic" before you are so quick to accuse others of being lacking.

Do please elaborate....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I know a guy in his fifties whose house is full of thousands of books which he has collected over twenty years, and on a number of occasions I've been in with him having tea and we'd be discussing something and he'd recall a certain nice and (sometimes) relevant paragraph or definition from a certain book and he'd pop upstairs and pick it up from the bottom of some pile of books or from the back of some cupboard. He has great difficulty checking his emails. Extrapolate away.

I'm in my twenties, and I refuse to get a smartphone or an ipod etc. It doesn't necessarily make me less intelligent.

Hehe, nice, but not quite the same.
    The library had 20 000 books, 10 000 CDs, and I cannot remember the number of DVDs, CD-Roms (yes, it was a while back), comic books, magazines, etc.
    I own around 2500 books and I know each one, as well as where it is on the shelves, or if I lent it to someone, but these are my personal books. With the thousands of readers the library had back then, there is no way he could have known if a book was out, when it was due back, and without the computer he of course couldn't reserve it for the person inquiring.

I'm not saying he wasn't intelligent. I'm saying he provided a sub-standard service to the library users simply because he refused to use the system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I'd go with him

• Advertisement

Reminds me of a bit of humour I heard

What's the difference between a good solicitor and a great solicitor?

A good solicitor knows the law
    A great solicitor knows the judge

The solicitor.

Shenshen wrote: »

The solicitor.

I will second that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Do please elaborate....
    Sure. Feel free to point out how you're not talking bollocks.
    You have stated that those with a higher level of education are unable to boil an egg!
    This was not stated.
    The inability to boil an egg does not imply one can't look after oneself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

My take on this thread is that the OP is 100% correct and the rest of you are too old or stupid or both to see it.

I mean take this...
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Yeah maybe I am

Needs to be taken down a peg

This would have been a good debate in Humanities forum

But when an OP comes to After Hours they want to stir up a reaction

Why does the OP need to be taken down a peg and why is that license for you to abuse her ?
    She has her point. Perhaps you merely disagree with it. Or perhaps the truth cuts a little too close to the bone? Either way - why do you think you are the one to take her down with abuse ?

The respect and pandering to hierarchy in this country is sickening if I'm honest.

She has her point. Perhaps you merely disagree with it. Or perhaps the truth cuts a little too close to the bone?
    Could you perhaps elaborate on what you mean by the latter part? Are you suggesting that people who think that the OP has her head up her arse are older, less intelligent and less qualified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I think it's a bit myopic to make such a sweeping generalisation based on a couple of weeks freelancing in the UK and claim the experience there (or here in my case) is so different than in Ireland. I've been in the UK for 10 years and can assure you OP, acknowledging you have qualifications, you are not qualified to make that statement.

I'm not sure I get what's different about your job. You don't need to have any qualification just fluency in 2 or more languages. My mum uses them and they're usually stay at home mums. Smaller businesses use foreign students.

It depends for the work I do I have to have 2 foreign languages. And on of the firms that hires me frequently requires an interpreter's qualification.

It depends on what you do.

I would interpret for patients advocates in hospital or for companies, the langauge can be specialized.

It also depends on what languages you are speaking some are harder to translate into others.

And I am well aware smaller businesses use foreign students...their translations (written) sometimes come back all sorts.

It is not really to do with my job. Or me . It is a job. I would expect anyone who attempted it to be properly qualified and able to do it. It is the assumption that hey anyone can build a house or work as a planing authority if they have a can do attitude that is dangerous.

Or why do we have C.V's at all?

You would not want some unqualified person teaching in your schools or universities would you?

rgmmg wrote: »
    I think it's a bit myopic to make such a sweeping generalisation based on a couple of weeks freelancing in the UK and claim the experience there (or here in my case) is so different than in Ireland. I've been in the UK for 10 years and can assure you OP, acknowledging you have qualifications, you are not qualified to make that statement.

That is a fair point. I may not know the Uk...but i feel i do know Ireland. The point was not so much it was different over there but that it was the case in Ireland anyway. But that is interesting that you feel it is the case over there too. Maybe it is more common everywhere.

Maybe i am wrong but it was an observation. The reaction has been interesting.

• Advertisement

Could you perhaps elaborate on what you mean by the latter part? Are you suggesting that people who think that the OP has her head up her arse are older, less intelligent and less qualified?

I think people who choose to express their opinion in the terms you have hardly have the right to criticise the attitude of others.

I was suggesting that when I said this bit.....do keep up now.....
    ....... and the rest of you are too old or stupid or both to see it.

This bit:
    I mean take this...

Why does the OP need to be taken down a peg and why is that license for you to abuse her ?
    She has her point. Perhaps you merely disagree with it. Or perhaps the truth cuts a little too close to the bone? Either way - why do you think you are the one to take her down with abuse ?

The respect and pandering to hierarchy in this country is sickening if I'm honest.

....was directed towards one poster in particular who brought it upon himself to take the down a peg or two because she apparently 'needed' it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Or why do we have C.V's at all?

You would not want some unqualified person teaching in your schools or universities would you?

C.V's are not there just to pimp your education....they're also show your experience.
    If someone asks you in an interview "what makes you qualified for this position" and your only answer is "education", you won't be getting the job.

Education shows a indication that this person knows their stuff and could turn into someone very valuable.
    Experience should demonstrate that a person is already someone valuable and should carry a lesser risk.

Also, you dont actually need a qualification to teach in universities.
    If you're very well experienced and active in a field they'll allow you to lecture it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

That is a fair point. I may not know the Uk...but i feel i do know Ireland. The point was not so much it was different over there but that it was the case in Ireland anyway. But that is interesting that you feel it is the case over there too. Maybe it is more common everywhere.

Maybe i am wrong but it was an observation. The reaction has been interesting.

I didn't express my view - I just said you did not have enough of an experience to form yours (ironically) :)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gozundaDo please elaborate....
    Sure. Feel free to point out how you're not talking bollocks.

Oh deary me such use of persuasive argument.....but yes thanks I will. You sir are the one talking through another part of your anatomy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gozunda

This was not stated.

Oh yes it was and it was also implied (sorry if you dont understand that btw)

The poster in question stated that those who were qualified were likely not able to carry out simple tasks such as egg boiling which he followed up by stating
    So you would trust someone with your most sensitive legal intricacies that lacks the basic ability to look after themselves?
    Ok. I wouldn't.

The term "couldn't boil an egg" is also a metaphor for being useless in case that has escaped your beautifully worded personal attack

I was suggesting that when I said this bit.....do keep up now.....
    Fair enough. I've a BSc., am submitting my phd tomorrow, and have an everyday command of three languages plus English. At 25, I may well be older than the OP, I don't know. I'd be intrigued to see her attempt to prove she was more intelligent.

I still think the OP is talking nonsense.

• Advertisement

Oh yes it was
    Perhaps you could quote for us, then, where Where To states that people with a higher level of education are unable to boil an egg.

Thanks in advance.

There is a sort of resentment of anyone who really tries to get all the training they can.

I have a friend who works in banking who did her degree and worked at the same time and kept furthering her education. She started basically at the bottom and with education it opened doors for her and she got ahead faster and people seemed to think it was paper and she was getting elitest etc. But she gained a 360 degree view of economics and the industry that a lot of people did not have and she got her finances together and did quite well. She always said the education made her see things differently and understand banking more in depth.

A lot of senior people who had they listened to her then regret calling her a young upstart now.

You know i am not saying someone could not be 'educated' and still totally unqualifed for the job they are doing either. I don't think a general degree qualifies you more for every job.

What i am saying is if you want to work in accounting have a degree in accounting don't walk in off the street or have a 'liberal arts' degree.

But i would say in Ireland we have a lack of expertise. At senior level.

That is another thing that annoys me...people who study English and then say hey i will walk in into a sales position and they suck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

OK
    I have to get this off my chest.

It seems to me there is a huge education gap in the generations in Ireland.

I was working in the UK for a few weeks (I freelance and i am back in Dublin now).

I found the culture there towards age and qualifications different. My education, qualifications and ability mattered more. And older people were willing to listen and accept instruction.

I am young, female, Irish; I have a B.A, a postgrad and two languages.

I know i am not all that. In most other European countries i am the norm.

But i am tired of the older generation’s lack of qualification and knowledge. It is not ageism i have no issues with people retraining or having experience. But really I notice it in every area of the public and private sector...in my area everyone over 40 in Ireland is not educated or trained enough to deal with the aspects of their profession as professionally as they would in other countries.

They seem surprised at my perceived 'brightness'.

The youth are told that they are the most molly coddled generation. I disagree it is the older generation of bankers business men and those in the public sector and public office holding those positions without much education or intelligence that are the most molly coddled.

We bailout their incompetence and corruption and deal with the personal economic crisis of ex millionaires in their middle age who can't understand what they did wrong.

It just seems like an elephant in the room.

When i speak to younger people...they are often over educated if anything and tired of being patronised by incompetents.

I think the problem in Ireland is more to do with nepotism than age. Someone with a string of qualifications won't get a look in where someone's semi-literate cousin needs a job.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think the problem in Ireland is more to do with nepotism than age. Someone with a string of qualifications won't get a look in where someone's semi-literate cousin needs a job.

YUP.

.....or someone is on the rugby team......or has a good golf handicap......etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I'm not sure it's an age thing, I know plenty of people in my dads age group 60 to 70 who retrained. My own father taught himself a second language, is computer literate and plays a musical instrument.

Whereas my mother, although intelligent, has tried to learn skills but seems to fall at the first hurdle, she has no skills beyond those of a typical housewife. She is scared of technology and often returns to her original learning from 1960/1970s Ireland.

I don't think it's about age though more about personality, as I know plenty in my own age group 30s that are the very same, some learn new skills easily and are always seeking new challenges while others just aren't interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

So you would hire someone for your legal department with no law qualifications? No one in your accounting or finance department qualifications?

If you wanted to expand your business abroad you would find people with great personality but can't speak a word of the langauge?

YEP THAT'S THE IRELAND I KNOW!:):P:rolleyes:

That is exactly the attitude i encounter. Do you really think doing an engineering degree or a law degree is reading a few text books?

When you attain a professional degree it is considered an earned merit. It is not there to do anything but regulate the standards of that profession.

So when it says 'software developer' on a c.v. it means more than that person simply has a great personality.

The above post is EXACTLY what I am talking about.

Elsewhere they seem to regulate professional standards much better.

I work as part of a multi-national. We have a group turnover of over £5bn p.a. and an irish turnover of over €650m p.a.

Our legal team, is of course staffed by people with degrees in law and by para-legals. All of them start at the bottom, in order to gain experience, they have to prove their worth. A degree is not an earned merit, it's a sign that you know how to study, not how to work.

Our accounting team is led by a woman who joined as a junior 20 years ago and worked her way up, USING EXPERIENCE.

When we work overseas, as we do throughout Europe, we hire native speakers wherever possible.

We regulate our standards by only employing the most capable people, not jumped-up recent graduates who think the world owes them a favour.

I've rejected dozens of applicants like you, and we seem to be doing quite well out of it.

Perhaps you need to change your conceited attitude and realise that your degree is worth far less than you think. It's a piece of paper that nobody will even ask to see once you turn thirty, only your experience and attitude will count. I fear both will count against you.

If you think the problem of nepotism and having contacts is and Irish problem you're completely wrong.

That's not an Irish problem, it's everywhere.
    Something around 80% of the UK goverment attended either Cambridge or Oxford, you dont think that's a coincidence do you?

I dont think the problem is as bad as you think either. Yes there are plenty of people out there who are crap at their jobs and somehow became senior, but the majority have earned it and don't deserve to be written off and painted with the same brush, which is what you're trying to do here.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Am I thick or wha?

Fair enough. I've a BSc., am submitting my phd tomorrow, and have an everyday command of three languages plus English. At 25, I may well be older than the OP, I don't know. I'd be intrigued to see her attempt to prove she was more intelligent.

I still think the OP is talking nonsense.

Wiseass answer: Sure what would you know you have yet to experience the workplace environment :rolleyes:

Friendly answer: are you honestly telling me your seniors in the lab have never held you back ? I've yet to meet a phd student who didn't ahve some problem with their supervisor

I'm not sure it's an age thing, I know plenty of people in my dads age group 60 to 70 who retrained. My own father taught himself a second language, is computer literate and plays a musical instrument.

Whereas my mother, although intelligent, has tried to learn skills but seems to fall at the first hurdle, she has no skills beyond those of a typical housewife. She is scared of technology and often returns to her original learning from 1960/1970s Ireland.

I don't think it's about age though more about personality, as I know plenty in my own age group 30s that are the very same, some learn new skills easily and are always seeking new challenges while others just aren't interested.

It's good to hear your Dad was open minded :)

Friendly answer: are you honestly telling me your seniors in the lab have never held you back ? I've yet to meet a phd student who didn't ahve some problem with their supervisor
    No problems at all. I've been lucky in that regard, I suppose.

summerskin wrote: »
    I work as part of a multi-national. We have a group turnover of over £5bn p.a. and an irish turnover of over €650m p.a.

Our legal team, is of course staffed by people with degrees in law and by para-legals. All of them start at the bottom, in order to gain experience, they have to prove their worth. A degree is not an earned merit, it's a sign that you know how to study, not how to work.

Our accounting team is led by a woman who joined as a junior 20 years ago and worked her way up, USING EXPERIENCE.

When we work overseas, as we do throughout Europe, we hire native speakers wherever possible.

We regulate our standards by only employing the most capable people, not jumped-up recent graduates who think the world owes them a favour.

I've rejected dozens of applicants like you, and we seem to be doing quite well out of it.

Perhaps you need to change your conceited attitude and realise that your degree is worth far less than you think. It's a piece of paper that nobody will even ask to see once you turn thirty, only your experience and attitude will count. I fear both will count against you.

Well i seem to be doing ok ;)

I am actually not how you seem to want to depict me.
    I am self employed.
    The world and I owe each other nothing.

It is interesting that you state your company is mostly full of people with degrees though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

So what are you complaining about, exactly?

Just feel entitled to more? Think you're better than your superiors because you have a better education but less experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Originally Posted by Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy
    One has a PHD, two other B.A's and one other M.A and my other parent a B.A. They would be of the same opinion as myself.

Arts degrees, enough said:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

BizzyC wrote: »
    If you think the problem of nepotism and having contacts is and Irish problem you're completely wrong.

That's not an Irish problem, it's everywhere.
    Something around 80% of the UK goverment attended either Cambridge or Oxford, you dont think that's a coincidence do you?

I dont think the problem is as bad as you think either. Yes there are plenty of people out there who are crap at their jobs and somehow became senior, but the majority have earned it and don't deserve to be written off and painted with the same brush, which is what you're trying to do here.

Having spent most of my life working in the UK, I can tell you that in everyday jobs, there's hardly any nepotism. I think the main reason for this is that families here have been generally larger than those in the UK, and because there are fewer family members, businesses in the UK have to employ "outsiders".

I don't think that having Oxbridge graduates in government is anything to do with nepotism, and is more to do with high standards.

Oh yes it was
    Perhaps you could quote for us, then, where Where To states that people with a higher level of education are unable to boil an egg.

Thanks in advance.
    Can you boil an egg OP? I often find the those who judge others solely on their level of education struggle with basic tasks

So here the poster is equating those with qualifications or justifying qualifications struggle with basic tasks - the aforementioned 'boiled egg'

What exactly is your problem by the way?
    You appear to have gone out of your way ( b*llocks, ^rse etc to be rude and aggressive to other posters)

I presume the pressure of the PhD is getting to you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Have you got a contingency plan for your skills are inevitably made reduntant by software?

My solicitor is older than the Constitution but even he can use Google Translate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Oh yes it was

Thanks in advance.
    Can you boil an egg OP? I often find the those who judge others solely on their level of education struggle with basic tasks

So here the poster is equating those with qualifications or justifying qualifications struggle with basic tasks - the aforementioned 'boiled egg'

Y
    ou appear to have gone out of your way ( b*llocks, ^rse etc to be rude and aggressive to other posters)

I presume the pressure of the PhD is getting to you !
    You seem to have trouble interpreting my post, I hope you are not in the same business as the OP ;).

My point is that those who attempt to belittle the career path or academic achievement of others are quite often seriously lacking adequate social skills to survive in the real world themselves. In my experience, of course.

You appear to have gone out of your way ( b*llocks, ^rse etc to be rude and aggressive to other posters)
    I haven't gone out of my way at all! It comes naturally :)

You'll have noticed, I'm sure, that
    WhereTo refers to
    A: "people who judge others solely on their level of education"
    and not
    B: "people with a higher level of qualification",
    as you are insisting.

A person being in A does not imply they are in B, and a person being in B does not imply they are in A.

Bringing us back to my rebuke of your casting aspersions on others' logic, when your own was flawed.

Having spent most of my life working in the UK, I can tell you that in everyday jobs, there's hardly any nepotism. I think the main reason for this is that families here have been generally larger than those in the UK, and because there are fewer family members, businesses in the UK have to employ "outsiders".

I don't think that having Oxbridge graduates in government is anything to do with nepotism, and is more to do with high standards.

Everyday jobs maybe not. Working in the City though, all of the high earning jobs are based on who you know, not what you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

OK
    I have to get this off my chest.

It seems to me there is a huge education gap in the generations in Ireland.

It just seems like an elephant in the room.

When i speak to younger people...they are often over educated if anything and tired of being patronised by incompetents.

I laughed at this one.

I know plenty of people with very high levels of education, several with multiple pHD's who have absolutely no social skills or common sense.

The person with lots of education will spend hours trying to figure out a way to get the Square peg in the round hole, While the person with Intelligence will just put the square peg in the square hole.

That said I also know several people with intelligence, common sense and high education. The combination is what is really required and Ireland has produced many over the years, who have been very successful in business and life, who never found reason to brag about their level of education, who just get on with it and don't try to analyse everybody else's perceived issues which actually turn out to be their own issues.

This. This. Definitely this.
    It's been bugging the living daylights out of me.
    The company I work for is international, as is our office. And for the first 3 years I was working here, that was grand. The top-level management was about 30% Irish, 30% European and 30% international. The employees were a good mix of nationalities, with good qualifications, and the atmosphere was great.
    Then the credit crunch hit, a good few people left to go back home. Suddenly, the management was 90% Irish. At first, not much changed, but then new people were hired. And the people they did hire ... well, semi-literate would have been an improvement for many of them. Lazy feckers, spending all day on facebook or taking breaks to discuss recent or upcoming GAA matches. It's an utter disgrace, especially since those guys are driving out highly qualified people who just can't bear the fact that they're get burned having to do all the work, while these guys who know someone who knows someone do sweet f*ck all.

:mad:

And before anybody screams at me : I do NOT say that all Irish workers are lazy GAA fanatics! I say some are, and it annoys me no end that they will never be without a job because they know the right people, while hard-working, qualified people are out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Dr James Reilly is probably in need of a translator,interpreter and PR assistant.Maybe OP,TIV might be interested but I doubt that.Then again one must be coldly professional in such positions

• Advertisement

So what are you complaining about, exactly?

Just feel entitled to more? Think you're better than your superiors because you have a better education but less experience?

I am not complaining i don't think i deserve more than i earn and work for very happy thank you:)

I really was making an observation and a point that I feel is relevant to Irish society.

You are missing my point. I don't WANT anything.

I am making a point that in Ireland it seems that we often have lack experts at senior level.

This is part of what i am speaking of. There is a closed mindedness and lack of high standards in Ireland. When i was in the UK it seemed much more open. I was treated with much more respect for my abilities. When I met those in senior positions they knew their stuff. There is not the same level of high standards in senior positions in Ireland. And they are EXPECTED to be good at what they do. There is a level of accountabilty at ALL levels. They are there for the right reasons.

Advertisement