Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TITLE EDIT..DIFFERENCES IN GENERATIONAL EDUCATION AND CUTE WHOORISM CULTURE

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

Boombastic wrote: »
    Arts degrees, enough said:D

No actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

yore wrote: »
    But a couple of days ago would be a prime example; I was working as an interpreter for a private company. They had arranged a meeting to last an hour with a foreign client. But they had hired me for 30 mins. I had advised them that communication would be difficult if not impossible. I was told something akin to the above.

Move forward to the actual date I of course have to spend an extra 30 mins there that was unscheduled. They just could not understand that I was actually trying to help them.

I realize that education and intelligence are not interchangable interchangeable. fixed your spelling for you

you make a big deal of the two languages..
    I know several 3 year olds who are tri-lingual, give them a couple of years and they will probably do the job in 30 minutes.

Ireland has a very low standard of linguistics especially for a country with two official languages. Where I live(and throughout Europe) most kids grow up using multiple languages in their everyday life.

One thing I can agree with you on, is that Irish Society does have a tendency to look down on success. Maybe its as simple as Jealousy, but its something that has been an issue in Ireland for generations. Whereas it is not evident in most of the world, in fact I find that Irish people are far more successful outside of Ireland than at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

No actually.

:confused:

Bachelor of Arts (B.A., BA, A.B., or AB), from the Latin artium baccalaureus

No what?

Where To wrote: »
    Have you got a contingency plan for your skills are inevitably made reduntant by software?

My solicitor is older than the Constitution but even he can use Google Translate.

Actually as it goes the interpreter gig is temporary for the next few years.:)

Google translate is rubbish it gives back gibberish more often than not especially for something as specialized as law. Infact that is a whole area right there. The fact that you think it might be adequate tells me you are trolling because it is far from it. Particualarly in the instance you mention. Infact it is when things like that are said it makes me go...hmm this person does not really know what they are doing. If you knew anything about linguistics you would know why your comment is not based in reality.

Again though what has this got to do with my point?

And my point is we should all continue to make our education, skills and talents relevant in order to make sure we are qualified.

By the way...If your ancient solicitor really is using google translate instead of hiring a translator..erm get a new solicitor or convince him it is worth it in the long term. He will be writing up contracts in Gibberish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Actually as it goes the interpreter gig is temporary for the next few years.:)

Google translate is rubbish it gives back gibberish more often than not especially for something as specialized as law. Infact that is a whole area right there. The fact that you think it might be adequate tells me you are trolling because it is far from it. Particualarly in the instance you mention. Infact it is when things like that are said it makes me go...hmm this person does not really know what they are doing. If you knew anything about linguistics you would know why your comment is not based in reality.

Again though what has this got to do with my point?

And my point is we should all continue to make our education, skills and talents relevant in order to make sure we are qualified.

By the way...If your ancient solicitor really is using google translate instead of hiring a translator..erm get a new solicitor or convince him it is worth it in the long term. He will be writing up contracts in Gibberish.
    Ya see, someone who wasn't up their own arse would have noticed the irony and humour in that post. Therein lies the problem. You complain that you are not able to work with people due to their deficiencies in education. Have you never considered that it might be your lack of social skills might not be helping the problem?

Qazaqşa söylesizbe?

• Advertisement

Boombastic wrote: »
    :confused:

Bachelor of Arts (B.A., BA, A.B., or AB), from the Latin artium baccalaureus

No what?

Dad B.Phil ,B.C.L PHD in law, and one joint double arts degree in French and German. Mum Diplom Univ (German degree i think the equiv was B.A) but she had to study for five years i think..so i am unsure what the equivalent is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

gozunda wrote: »
    Ficheall wrote: »
    Oh yes it was
    Perhaps you could quote for us, then, where Where To states that people with a higher level of education are unable to boil an egg.

Thanks in advance.
    Can you boil an egg OP? I often find the those who judge others solely on their level of education struggle with basic tasks

So here the poster is equating those with qualifications or justifying qualifications struggle with basic tasks - the aforementioned 'boiled egg'

What exactly is your problem by the way?
    Y
    ou appear to have gone out of your way ( b*llocks, ^rse etc to be rude and aggressive to other posters)

I presume the pressure of the PhD is getting to you !
    You seem to have trouble interpreting my post, I hope you are not in the same business as the OP ;).

My point is that those who attempt to belittle the career path or academic achievement of others are quite often seriously lacking adequate social skills to survive in the real world themselves. In my experience, of course.

And what exactly do you think you are doing .- belittling people with qualifications and implying that those with such are somehow less able to 'boil eggs'....

I have meet ignorant begrudgers with no education or social skills

I have meet individuals with qualifications coming out their ears who could charm the birds from the trees

And I have met everything in between.
    Sweeping generalisations about individuals is never helpful and rarely ever true.

Look will people stop making silly analogies. Please stop talking about eggs.

And lets be civil.

And what exactly do you think you are doing .- belittling people with qualifications and implying that those with such are somehow less able to 'boil eggs'....

I have ignorant begrudgers with no education or social skills

I have meet individuals with qualifications coming out their ears who could charm the birds from the trees

Sweeping generalisations about individuals is never helpful and rarely ever true.
    You're agreeing with me and you don't even know it. :pac:

What exactly is your problem by the way?
    You appear to have gone out of your way ( b*llocks, ^rse etc to be rude and aggressive to other posters)
    I haven't gone out of my way at all! It comes naturally :)

Ahhh that must be the famous lack of social skills Where To was referring to. Get you now!
    You'll have noticed, I'm sure, that
    WhereTo refers to
    A: "people who judge others solely on their level of education"
    and not
    B: "people with a higher level of qualification",
    as you are insisting.

A person being in A does not imply they are in B, and a person being in B does not imply they are in A.

It may not imply but yes that was TW did imply - see sequence of posts for confirmation....TW asked the OP could she boil an egg then came out with the assertion that those (ie the OP) who decry about others on (their lack) of educational achievement are somehow inept - see TW last post for further confirmation if you wish

Bringing us back to my rebuke of your casting aspersions on others' logic, when your own was flawed.

No it wasn't ....but your failure to grasp the full meaning is evident - in my opinion of course ;-)

• Advertisement

And lets be civil.
    It's OK, no one is perfect.

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/eggs/how-to-boil-an-egg.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

And lets be civil.

To which "analogies" are you referring?

lol........this is hilarious i just read the last five or so posts one after the other..i can't stop laughing.....

I have ignorant begrudgers with no education or social skills

Sweeping generalisations about individuals are never helpful and rarely ever true.
    You're agreeing with me and you don't even know it. :pac:

Erhhhh no....

Please reread!

To which "analogies" are you referring?

Egg boiling analogies......oh now i really can't stop laughing

It may not imply but yes that was TW did imply - see sequence of posts for confirmation....

No it wasn't ....but your failure to grasp the full meaning is evident - in my opinion of course ;-)

I've seen the sequence of posts. I actually read them - had you afforded WhereTo the same courtesy you might not have misinterpreted what he was saying.

It matters not what "full meaning" you think might have been behind the conversation.
    You tried to enforce whatever point you were making citing "logic", but listed an A implies B statement in your argument which was wrong, so I pointed it out.
    I hope you haven't actually studied logic, mathematics, or computing - that stuff is pretty basic, and you'd put a small, yet not inconsequential dent in TIV's argument that your education is worth anything.

And lets be civil.

What eggactly do you mean? let us white only that which is true and take this yoke as it should be understood ok!

And lets be civil.

Are they loosing you??? And you with all your education.. these are simple analogies... but oh yes they don't teach those sorts of things in University

Egg boiling analogies......oh now i really can't stop laughing
    It is hilarious, isn't it? :pac:
    The egg discussion isn't really an analogy in the traditional sense.
    So much for education.
    Now it is.

• Advertisement

The puns are Eggscruciating. The are not eggcellent ones and don't crack me up. In fact they have scrambled and eggsausted my brain. Now if you eggcuse me I have more eggciting things on the boil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

I'd just like to say: years of experience, me hole, years of experience is worth f. a. a lot of the time, for evidence, see lots of businesses that went bust "despite" such years of experience. I say "despite", as often it's "because" of over-valuation of what such years of experience are worth.

Some people develop wisdom of business or professional use as they get older, many more don't.

Oddly, or not so oddly, it's the ones trumpeting the value of (their) years of experience that are usually worth the least in any situation.

Well, that's been my experience.

Erhhhh no....

Please reread!
    I have.:) For simplification;

Some people are good people.
    Some people are bad people.

Some people carry their education (or lack thereof) with grace and humility.
    Others wield it threateningly like a war hammer.

It may not imply but yes that was TW did imply - see sequence of posts for confirmation....

I've seen the sequence of posts. I actually read them - had you afforded WhereTo the same courtesy you might not have misinterpreted what he was saying.

It matters not what "full meaning" you think might have been behind the conversation.
    You tried to enforce whatever point you were making citing "logic", but listed an A implies B statement in your argument which was wrong, so I pointed it out.
    I hope you haven't actually studied logic, mathematics, or computing - that stuff is pretty basic, and you'd put a small, yet not inconsequential dent in TIV's argument that your education is worth anything.

Oh deary me you just won't admit you are WRONG will you

Yes TW asked the OP about egg boiling and then followed that implication with the derogatory statement about being inept - what's to miss???

I see you have looked up the meaning of courtesy - well done no more ^rses and b*llocks then. Thank you.

Btw the way my educational attainment is of no relevance here but yes I can see where TW may have a point in your case...

Erhhhh no....

Please reread!
    I have.:) For simplification;

Some people are good people.
    Some people are bad people.

Some people carry their education (or lack thereof) with grace and humility.
    Others wield it threateningly like a war hammer.

Nice 360 TW - who says that education is a bad thing ;-)

Can you boil an egg TW?

Can you boil an egg TW?
    No 360 here at all, I stand by every word I have written.

Boil an egg? I'm a M.A., I can't even tie my shoelaces.

Can you boil an egg TW?

360, eh?

I suppose if I suggest that it might have been 180 you were looking for, you would disagree with me?

Can you boil an egg TW?

360, eh?

I suppose if I suggest that it might have been 180 you were looking for, you would disagree with me?

No I meant 360....

No 360 here at all, I stand by every word I have written.

Boil an egg? I'm a M.A., I can't even tie my shoelaces.

Are they REALLY far down? :-)

• Advertisement

Are they REALLY far down? :-)
    Na, I'm just a lazy bugger.

No I meant 360....

Stop with the 360 arguments we are going around in circles......:)

No I meant 360....

Stop with the 360 arguments we are going around in circles......:)

But eggs are oval in shape not round....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,556 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Shenshen wrote: »
    we have people in the office whose job it is to trace payments who will still enter figures into a spreadsheet and then pull out a calculator to do the sums rather than use the functionalities of the spreadsheet.

I slide rule like a boss. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

BizzyC wrote: »
    Everyday jobs maybe not. Working in the City though, all of the high earning jobs are based on who you know, not what you know.

I disagree entirely, the high earners are chosen for their qualifications, track records and skills. If these people are chosen for any other reason, the companies paying them the high salaries wouldn't last five minutes. If someone chose someone for a high paid job in the city, they'd look a complete dick when everyone else realised that the chosen one didn't have a clue how to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Stupid post is ironic.

Of course the older generation are generally less formally educated. Going to college only became a normal thing recently. Even in the 1980s, many people had to work straight after school to make money, or emigrate.
    Everyone knows this. What new point are you trying to make?

Oh wait, I know: that as well as being less formally educated, they're also more stupid than young people, coincidentally.
    What a nonsensical thesis.

Do you have no self-awareness at all? Did it not once occur to you not only that you're simply wrong to make such a sweeping, stupid statement, but that you also come across as a stereotype of a smug, snobby, selfish, clueless young person, lacking in basic common sense and empathy?
    It's such a shame that you do come across like that, because the stereotype of ignorant, entitled Celtic Tiger cubs in contrast to less formally educated but more sensible people isn't completely true.
    There are many smart young students and graduates with a lot of common sense out there, but I doubt you're one of them.

"Brightness" my arse.
    Whatever about the OP, it is the above sort of put-down that really annoys me.

Also tw@ts that say "Jesus wept"

Tossers

I don't really see the problem. I thought the post was clearly stupid and, by logical extension, ironic.

If your problem is with shortening it to "stupid post is ironic," I don't think typing "Your stupid post is ironic" would've made much more sense.

I might've been more polite (and I usually am) but I didn't think the OP deserved that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I don't really see the problem. I thought the post was clearly stupid and, by logical extension, ironic.

If your problem is with shortening it to "stupid post is ironic," I don't think typing "Your stupid post is ironic" would've made much more sense.

I might've been more polite (and I usually am) but I didn't think the OP deserved that.

You shortened it to a phrase used often and usually by condescending douchebags. Maybe an accident. Maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

You shortened it to a phrase used often and usually by condescending douchebags. Maybe an accident. Maybe not.

There's now two ironic posts in this thread.

Good night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

There's now two ironic posts in this thread.

Good night.

Nothing condescending about me. Good night at 9.15pm? Ok, night :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

[HTML][/HTML]...in my area everyone over 40 in Ireland is not educated or trained enough to deal with the aspects of their profession as professionally as they would in other countries.[HTML][/HTML]

^^^
    OP, this seems like a bit of a sweeping generalisation!
    While I think that some of the other posters are being overly defensive and picking on you a bit, I can understand why some of them may be upset.
    I have worked in the public sector for 15 years and am excellent at my job....

Oh wait, I have a Masters Degree :rolleyes:

shantolog wrote: »
    My father's formal education ended when he was 13, then he went to work in a mill during the 1950s.

My father reads Chomsky, knows what a prion is, and has recently been telling me about Hawkin's radiation...

Perhaps you are unwise to cast a whole generation in such a negative light, and should lay the blame at the feet of the people responsible...maybe the profession you are in doesn't demand a high caliber of employee?...jus' sayin

That is the exact same as my own father - didn't even do his leaving certificate, dropped out long before it and never went back. No qualifications but managed to make it to relatively high management within Digital before they shut down. He has one of the best mathematical brains I've ever seen and he is an extraordinarily smart person.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

OK

I am young, female, Irish; I have a B.A, a postgrad and two languages.

Ah sure of course you do love.

(second I saw this I thought of father ted when they ask the accountant woman where her boss is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

But a couple of days ago would be a prime example; I was working as an interpreter for a private company. They had arranged a meeting to last an hour with a foreign client. But they had hired me for 30 mins. I had advised them that communication would be difficult if not impossible. I was told something akin to the above.

Move forward to the actual date I of course have to spend an extra 30 mins there that was unscheduled. They just could not understand that I was actually trying to help them.

And they tried to make out that extra 30 mins was 'grace time' and that they should not be charged.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I realize that education and intelligence are not interchangable.

But there are certain tasks and skills that require training or education.

This is gas. The uneducated "fools" paid you for 30 minutes work and got an hours work from a genius like yourself....and somehow they're the idiots.
    Looks like you were sick the day they did "basic cop-on 101" in among your other fancy college courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭The Big Lebowsky

I reckon you are all daylight deprived fourm people who spend far too much time online....:rolleyes:

@ Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy/Shenshen...

If you really want change in our corrupt and nepotistic little country, please stop complaining...and just do something positive!

No doubt ye are both highly educated, but education should never be confused with intelligence...

I reckon you are all daylight deprived fourm people who spend far too much time online....:rolleyes:

@ Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy/Shenshen...

If you really want change in our corrupt and nepotistic little country, please stop complaining...and just do something positive!

No doubt ye are both highly educated, but education should never be confused with intelligence...

so true, Most of us know of the stupidity that can be found in the USA, but still they come in 4th in the best educated nations in the world - survey by Market Watch with the Wall Street Journal.
    1. Canada 2. Israel 3. Japan 4. United States 5. New Zealand 6. South Korea 7. United Kingdom 8. Finland 9. Australia 10. Ireland

Education and intelligence are very different

Advertisement