Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonakilty Marathon December 8th

Options
  • 27-09-2012 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Anyone running Clonakility this year ? . I see its a hilly one and not great for a PB.

race website

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I'll run it as one of the pacers.

I haven't done it before, but by all accounts, yes it is hilly and not ideal for a PB. On the other hand it is friendly, welcoming and very well organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

ill be there aswell,lookin forward to it,,,hope it snows:)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Why have they decided to move it out of the town? I remember the hill at Inchodonney last year - where will this feature this year in the re-jigged course? Will there be transport from Clonakilty town to/from the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

is the start far form the town ?

The Hammer wrote: »
    I remember the hill at Inchodonney last year - where will this feature this year in the re-jigged course?

http://connect.garmin.com/course/1828995

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

That's a beauty at mile 19 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Did this race last year. Its a brilliant course. Not a PB but why do people want flat courses all the time. This is west cork! It is a tough challenge and some really difficult hills, the one that brings up from ~12.5 to 13.1 is a tough little bugger. Its for the tough guys/gals only!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭breffni blue

Not a PB course, but a nice 26.2 mile run around west cork before Xmas.......relax and enjoy the scenery....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Not a PB course, but a nice 26.2 mile run around west cork before Xmas.......relax and enjoy the scenery....

I don't get the 'scenery' aspect to marathons ( or indeed any races). I've run some marathons and HM in scenic areas but never recall admiring the surroundings during the race. After the race, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'll be pacing 4:15 at this so hopefully there'll be a few more with me than in Dingle...it got lonely out there on the course at times!!

• Advertisement

eliwallach wrote: »
    I don't get the 'scenery' aspect to marathons ( or indeed any races). I've run some marathons and HM in scenic areas but never recall admiring the surroundings during the race. After the race, maybe.

It's subjective of course, but I enjoy running Connemara or Dingle more than Limerick or Cork - not that it stops me from doing these other races as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

belcarra wrote: »
    I'll be pacing 4:15....
    Just wondering what are your plans for the hills? Would you be trying to run the first half faster than 4:15 pace before you hit the hills, or will you try to run an even pace and make up the descents what you lost on the climbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Just wondering what are your plans for the hills? Would you be trying to run the first half faster than 4:15 pace before you hit the hills, or will you try to run an even pace and make up the descents what you lost on the climbs?

I have yet to focus on the hills/strategy and will no doubt be pointed towards the best strategy by the Race Director.
    There are substantial hills at 20km and again at 30km so I expect we will be banking a little time throughout the rest of the course for these. Most of the race will be at approx 5:55/km (9:30/mile) {=4:09:41 est. finishing time} pace with a spare 3-5 mins banked for the hills.

As I say though the RD will give us closer instruction closer to the day.
    Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Im going to do the 10k piece of this, Im new to running so quite worried about getting to the end of this! Hoping to break the hour mark anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Ran it last year. Well organised, but definitely not a PB course. The hill at 20 miles is the worst I have ever run in any race. At the time I was in bits even before we started the climb, so it probably felt worse than it actually is. That being said - no one ran it, everyone walked it, so it wasnt just me either.

Top Tip - Bring your woolies to the start line, it was -1 Celsius when we started last year. And the start was delayed by 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Im going to run this as well. I like the timing just before christmas, ran here the last 2 years and thought they were both well organised.

As it happens we have a sports and social fund in the office here that we all contribute €1.50 per week into and the company matches that.
    I suggested that we should actually have a sports theme to this one (as opposed to just pints) and all run in Clon.
    As things stand my suggestion has been taken on board and we have 15 registering for 10k, 5 for the Half and just myself for the full.
    For most of the 10k participants it will be their 1st ever race.

There will be plenty of pints afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

How many did the marathon last year ? I take it you might be on your own for parts of the course, which might be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

How much slower would this course be compared to say Cork or Dublin on average? How much would someone running around 3:30 expect to lose? 5 or 10 minutes or even more?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭dizzymom

yes definatley bring the winter woolies
    I would say the course is more difficult than Connemara ! epic hill at 20, looking forward to it this year as I'm only doing the Half marthon as a pacer for 2.15

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

How much slower would this course be compared to say Cork or Dublin on average? How much would someone running around 3:30 expect to lose? 5 or 10 minutes or even more?

I would say ~15mins. Its tough in places.

• Advertisement

i008787 wrote: »
    I would say ~15mins. Its tough in places.

Oh come on, get real. The slowdown will be no more than 5 or 10 minutes.

For 15 extra minutes you would have to walk all of the climbs and refuse to run any faster on the downhills.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭breffni blue

How much time you lose compared to Dublin or Cork? It would all depend on fitness so someone running a marathon @ 3.30 would probably lose 5-10 minutes, and someone running a marathon @ 4.30 would probably lose 10-15 (ballpark).

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

i ran this last year,best atmosphere ever at a race,best medal and top,loved the course,yes its hilly but there some theres alot more down hills,it woulnt put me off going for a pb on it:),i was only talking today if i wasnt doing the pacing for it this year i would go for a marathon pb there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I’m thinking of doing the ½ marathon here, DCM in 10 days :eek: will be my first ever marathon, so I think it would be a bit soon for me to do a second marathon (or do the experts here disagree?) It looks like a difficult course, but it is such a beautiful area, if you got a cool, crisp day, it would be absolutely stunning
    eliwallach wrote: »
    I would disagree with this, I love nice scenery during a race, I think it takes the mind of tired legs and sore muscles. I ran the Cork to Cobh race last week and some of the course was just beautiful, it definitely lifts my spirits when I get a lovely vista. In contrast, the Clonmel half in August was such a dull course, just boring country lanes, it definitely felt longer than the Cork to Cobh, even though it was 2 miles shorter.

ncmc wrote: »
    I’m thinking of doing the ½ marathon here, DCM in 10 days :eek: will be my first ever marathon, so I think it would be a bit soon for me to do a second marathon (or do the experts here disagree?).

1st things 1st, by posting this I am not claiming to be an expert! I do have a good bit of marathon experience though.
    If Dublin is your 1st marathon, the 5 weeks recovery to another marathon might be asking a bit much of the body. Be sure to recover well from your marathon in terms of nutrition and hydration, but also rest and just enjoy the afterglow.
    By all means do the half but again I would just be running for the enjoyment and not consider racing as its still probably to soon.

You will learn a lot about how your body reacts post Dublin and maybe next year you can fit both in.

Good luck in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

I registered for this about four weeks ago. Did I read somewhere that they are going to post the race pack out if you register before November?

I can't find where I read it now.

I thought I read something similar last month but I spoke to them last week and race packs need to be collected.

From website -Entrants can collect their race packs from Race HQ at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa from 10:00 to 22:00 on Friday December 7th and 06:00-07:30 on December 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Entering this today. Looks beautiful, here's hoping for a crisp, clear day!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

i ran this last year,best atmosphere ever at a race,best medal and top,loved the course,yes its hilly but there some theres alot more down hills,it woulnt put me off going for a pb on it:),i was only talking today if i wasnt doing the pacing for it this year i would go for a marathon pb there.

Hey Ray,
    I see you're pacing the 3.15 group. I wanted to go for sub 3.10 in this as I've a pb of 3.13 and had a good comeback in Dublin from a bit of a break with a 3.16. Is it the type of course to run even splits or should I be trying to get about 2 minutes in the bag for that hill at 20 miles? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

Diggy78 wrote: »
    Hey Ray,
    I see you're pacing the 3.15 group. I wanted to go for sub 3.10 in this as I've a pb of 3.13 and had a good comeback in Dublin from a bit of a break with a 3.16. Is it the type of course to run even splits or should I be trying to get about 2 minutes in the bag for that hill at 20 miles? Cheers

hi diggy,first of all well done on a great time in dublin,were u running with us anytime as i was pacing the 3.15 in dublin?
    for clonakillty if i was you i would do my long runs on some hilly roads.
    theres plenty of hills on it,but theres also more down hills,if i can remember from last year there was more elevation loss,i would just keep the pace even and kick on after the hill at 20mile,you can always drop the pace a little on the uphills and then make it back going downhill,sub 3.10 go for it:)

Advertisement