Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonakilty Marathon December 8th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

hi diggy,first of all well done on a great time in dublin,were u running with us anytime as i was pacing the 3.15 in dublin?
    for clonakillty if i was you i would do my long runs on some hilly roads.
    theres plenty of hills on it,but theres also more down hills,if i can remember from last year there was more elevation loss,i would just keep the pace even and kick on after the hill at 20mile,you can always drop the pace a little on the uphills and then make it back going downhill,sub 3.10 go for it:)

Cheers Ray, will do plenty of hillwork so for the next few weeks :). I would have been running with you for a short while anyway, the plan was to run with you guys to about halfway but the queue for the toilets meant I was one of the last to cross the start line as I turned onto merrion square as the gun went :D, not ideal. Anyway, I caught you guys steadily at inchicore as I didn't want too much weaving. Went on from you at halfway and saw you guys passing me again at the rds as I had fallen in a hole. Will probably go with you guys again for the first few miles anyway and hopefully not see ye again when I leave ya this time :). Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Im thinking of doing this if i get the all clear from an injury that forced me out of DCM. Looks interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

So with only a few weeks remaining until the marathon,how is everyone's training going ? Last 20 miler this Saturday and then taper for me

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

greenplain wrote: »
    So with only a few weeks remaining until the marathon,how is everyone's training going ? Last 20 miler this Saturday and then taper for me

Same for me. 20miles this weekend and take it handy after that, havent done a lot of high mileage after recent marathon but feel I need 20+ this weekend.
    Still no plan in place as to whether to race or just enjoy the run. Indecision is a *****r

In the same boat as you, did the marathon in Waterford during the Summer and have been just ticking along since then. I have not made up my mind up at what time to hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

i will be pacing the 3.15 if anyone is going for that time:),doing my last long run of the year on sunday 52mile:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

i will be pacing the 3.15 if anyone is going for that time:),doing my last long run of the year on sunday 52mile:D

Stepping back to 40 miles or less after that Ray??:D

I'll be pacing the 4:15 with Breiffni Blue if that suits anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

belcarra wrote: »
    Stepping back to 40 miles or less after that Ray??:D

I'll be pacing the 4:15 with Breiffni Blue if that suits anyone??
    well belcarra,no way lad,the furthest im going to run after this is clona
    kilty:),might try me hand at a few 5ks up to 10milers for a change:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Is anyone else having difficulty registering for these events online?
    Or am I just tic.....

Just realised registration is not supported via iPad........:red:

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Registration closes today if anyone is still thinking of doing it.

Anyone have any recommendations for somewhere to stay that is near the start/finish line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Did a practise of run of HM route yesterday.

- First off the route is much tougher than last year's which looking was fairly flat barr one significant incline.

- First 3 miles are grand once you get over that short at the start line :D

- After mile 3, runners will take a Right turn and there is gradual incline for approx 1 mile.

At Mile 5, road is flat for a short while and then you will begin descent into Rathbarry village,

- Running through village in the direction of Galley Head/Red Strand, it is quite hilly for the next mile. (Not as gentle as Website suggets) You will see Galleyhead and Long Strand on your right.

- Route is grand until Mile 8.5 (Ardfield Creamery on Right), there is nasty hill (approx 300m) followed by a short dip and you will then turn Left at Greenfield Cross. At this point, as described by website, the road climbs for about 1mile. Its starts off OK but there is definitely one stretch that will challenge many especially approaching the 10mile mark.

- The good news is that the worse is over here. The road is fairly flat as it joins Ardfield to Clonakilty road. This is followed by a welcome decline for approx 1km. (Quite steep at one small point just after a sharp bend in road -Twohigs)

- This brings us to main Dunmore Causeway then back onto the Island. Mile 12. Road is completely flat until Approx Mile 12.6 - Just when you when you're getting cocky, They have thrown in one last killer of a hill. It is steep for first 100m then continues as gradual incline until a short steep hill down into the finishing straight.

- True to form the finishing straight (200-300m) isn't exactly flat so you'll have to dig even deeper :mad:

So overall its definitely a tough route, Not as tough as the Bay Run but roads aren't great so it Won't be one for the PBs but will certainly will a nice challenge. We're made of tougher stuff down here!:)

To be honest, route is a bit dull for the HM. There is some lovely scenic coastal areas that Half marathoners are missing out on (Redstrand, Dunmore etc). I know this is important for many.

Finally I would say its a massive shame that Start and Finish has been moved from the town itself. There was such a great buzz around town last year. It is a big loss but I know this is outside the control of the Organisers. Hopefully many of the participants will hang around Clon for the evening!

Last word of warning, I would definitely recommend everyone getting to start line early. With one-way traffic system on the island, it will be fairly hectic.

FAO Full Marathoners: Mile 19 is cruel. You have my respect

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Cheers Physiopad, I'm doing the HM myself. Handy info, it's the shorter, steep hills that can catch you by surprise if you're going off the elevation readout alone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Strangely starting to look forward to the hill at mile 19 after hearing so much about it...hope it doesn't let me down;)

Strangely starting to look forward to the hill at mile 19 after hearing so much about it...hope it doesn't let me down;)

Looking forward to this hill as well, we certainly wouldnt want it to be to straightforward. That'd be no fun.

Overall numbers for this event are up on last year. Over 2000 registered to date.
    Having a local marathon on a Saturday and planning my carb loading at my desk for next Thursday & Friday will be a novelty.
    Im sure ill upset a few of my colleagues with my constant munching.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Overall numbers for this event are up on last year. Over 2000 registered to date.
    Having a local marathon on a Saturday and planning my carb loading at my desk for next Thursday & Friday will be a novelty.
    Im sure ill upset a few of my colleagues with my constant munching.:)

Wow thats unreal! Any breakdown on distance? There should be a great athmosphere on the course

Ya, up about 25% on last year!!!
    Afraid I dont have a breakdown in distance. The half was by far the most popular distance last year though.
    Postal entries are still being taken this week so im sure the number will increase a bit more.
    My concerns are how they will deal with start line congestion and most importantly the traffic on the morning, getting everybody there on time.

Im sure it would have been much easier for the organisers if it started in the town but as far as I know this was out of their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

I have the data to process for the race from the last download on 26th Nov and there are 432 in full marathon, 1021 in half and 709 in mini marathon but they are still adding in postal entries so I can see it being very close to the 2500 mark. Brilliant event, great organisation to work with and the location is breathtaking in places.

I know they have anticipated the logistics of getting in and out of the island hence the earlier start.

Of course we will have start mats for all the races and so congestion will not be an issue to affect your overall time.

I always look forward to to Clon, its a long down from Belfast but the buzz is just amazing.

I just did a quick filter on the countries and there are 27 countries outside of the British Isles and Ireland represented.

Of course we will have start mats for all the races and so congestion will not be an issue to affect your overall time.

Thanks for all of the info. I have a gang of 27 travelling with me to run. In most cases it will be their 1st ever race.
    Will the chip be in the bib or attached to the shoe? Thanks

On the shoelace, bib chips are not reliable thats why NY were not using them this year before race was cancelled.

• Advertisement

Just wondering, has anyone got their number for the race yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

greenplain wrote: »
    Just wondering, has anyone got their number for the race yet ?

As far as I know, the numbers need to be collected on Friday, or else the morning of the race: from the site faq.
    How do I get my race pack?
    Entrants can collect their race packs from Race HQ at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa from 10:00 to 22:00 on Friday December 7th and 06:00-07:30 on December 8th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

anyone drivin down from kildare/dublin on friday,will go havos for the petroil..

Got the latest file and they are over the 2300 mark already with a few more being accepted as far as I know this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Long shot, but are they taking entries on the morning of the race as in previous years? As I said, long shot.

I think they are if they are not at capacity by then. Get down early.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

I've had a look at each mile of the half marathon and broken down the amount of climbing involved per mile. The + is obviously when we'll be climbing in height and the - is when we're dropping in height. This is the combined total over the mile, i.e. from where the mile starts to where it finishes, so a mile which has 50ft of climbing followed by 50ft of descent will have a figure of 0 below.

Mile 1: -36ft

Mile 2: +26ft

Mile 3: -24ft

Mile 4: +79ft

Mile 5: +47ft

Mile 6: -39ft

Mile 7: +22ft

Mile 8: -16ft

Mile 9: +77ft

Mile 10: +116ft

Mile 11: -246ft

Mile 12: -42ft

Mile 13: +44ft

Miles 4, 9 & 10 will be the toughest where time will be lost but we can make up time on other miles such as the nice easy mile 11.:)

Spoke to organisers tonight and no entries being taken on Friday or race day as they are at capacity. Still processing postal ones but once they are all in thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Nearly time to climb those hills...looking forward to it now.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I'm curious about the parking situation.

The website says ample parking at the strand, thats close to the start?
    Would I need to be very early to get parking or is there plenty of space?

Advertisement