Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android apps crash, what can I do about it?

• 27-09-2012 9:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a HTC Desire S. It's rooted but I have never changed the rom so its running HTC Sense 3.0, and Android 2.3.5. Kernel version: 2.6.35.10-g9ac6c7a
    htc-kernel@and18-2 )

I'm not really pushed about changing ROM at the moment. Meteor are supposed to be rolling out ICS at some stage. I always figured I would look at flashing ROMS myself once OTA updates stop.

What bothers me are the occasional and sometimes not so occasional app crashes. This often occurs when exiting Firefox for example. I get a return to the HTC boot screen or maybe just a timer and return to the home screen. I don't get a reboot or anything like that so don't think its a hardware issue.

I would rather not do a factory reset. I do have Titanium Backup so could presumably do a reset and return all my apps etc. However I think the crashes are probably caused by the apps and settings I have loaded..

I have pasted a crash report here: http://pastebin.com/W1C676ge but to be honest don't lnow how to read it...

Any advice from people? Is it most likey a phone performance issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Oh I also use 'No frills CPU', and have it set to go from min 368MHz to 1.024GHz on demand. This isn't overclocking as the CPU is a 1 GHz Scorpion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm not an expert at reading those logs, but from a quick scan, it looks like Viber?
    Try uninstalling that for a while and see if things stabilize.

Thanks for that dave. I rarely use Viber to be honest so I'm happy enough to give that up and see if it changes anything.

Any tips on how to read those logs? I see Viber doesn't appear until line 394...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm not sure. It's just an educated guess. There are some java crashes before that line, and I don't know if they are related to Viber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Looks like a lot of SQL database errors to do with the contacts database, try uninstalling Viber first to see if it's messing up things with your contacts, if not do a full factory reset and that should help solve the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

hooplah wrote: »
    Meteor are supposed to be rolling out ICS at some stage. I always figured I would look at flashing ROMS myself once OTA updates stop.
    HTC aren't releasing ICS OTA for the Desire S so Meteor certainly won't. Now is your time to start flashing ROMs. I'm on CM10 myself and its wonderful as long as you don't care about the camera not working.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    HTC aren't releasing ICS OTA for the Desire S so Meteor certainly won't.

Yor're probably right. This thread says seems to say that Meteor will be sending some limited version OTA.
    Kavrocks wrote: »
    Now is your time to start flashing ROMs. I'm on CM10 myself and its wonderful as long as you don't care about the camera not working.

To be honest not having a working phone would be a bit of a deal breaker for me. I'l keep this thread on topic in case anyone has advice on reading crash logs. Thanks for the tip on CM10, if I do look to flash ROMs I'll start a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kierancos

Installed Firefox the other day, has to be the worst app I have ever installed, always crashed, everytime! I have a nexus s which is also 1Ghz.

Just in case anyone finds this thread searching for a solution to a similiar problem:

I never did figure out how to read a crash log properly. Searching around I found a free app called logcat which allows you to search through the logs, record them etc.

I removed Viber and WhatsApp but that didn't have much effect.

Paying more attention to the crashes I reaslised that Firefox was the main culprit, Twitter sometimes too (though possibly only when Firefox was also running). I like Mozilla's open source culture so rather than ditch Firefox I installed the Firefox-beta. Thats been a definate improvement over the last few days.

Advertisement