Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to reprogram a 2nd-hand TV?

• 27-09-2012 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Our old TV's just gone on the blink (CRT failure I think), and until we have the time to to go digital I've installed (nearly!) another analogue one someone passed on to us.
    It's from England, and still set with button numbers that get no channels here (apart from (coincidentally?) getting a couple of Irish channels).

Setting off the 'manual' channel scan finds all 8 (UK spillover & Irish) analogue channels we can receive here (and better than our previous TV). I made a note of all the frequencies, but can't get beyond using the search to change channels, as I can't figure out how to assign button numbers to them.

I've been round & round the menu system, and while tuned in to a channel can highlight 'change this number' (or words to that effect). But it doesn't say how to (pressing the 'ok' button doesn't seem to help). All 8 channels are currently saying they're no. 7 (a button that went to an Irish channel - I think I pressed 'Save' at the time).

The manual gives clear instructions for the very first installation, but I can't find anything there or in the menus about how to wipe the existing settings and revert to factory ones.

It's a Wharfdale LCD1510A. (Though perhaps menu systems are standard across the industry?)
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Setting off the 'manual' channel scan finds all 8 (UK spillover & Irish) analogue channels we can receive here (and better than our previous TV). I made a note of all the frequencies, but can't get beyond using the search to change channels, as I can't figure out how to assign button numbers to them.

It wont make any difference in about 4 weeks time anyway , because Analog broadcasts will be turned off on the 24th October.

http://www.saorview.ie/about-saorview/what-is-aso/

If you want to keep using that TV your going to need a Saorview box. In which case the Saorview box is all your going to have to worry about tuning in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thanks for confirming that, Andy.
    We still want to use this TV though, as it's the only way we can watch TV until we find time to make our decisions about which digital hardware to buy.
    I just thought the answer to my query might be simple (once I know it)?

I've just got somewhere, I think. I'd been pressing the right arrow button on the remote, as instructed for selecting the 1st or 2nd digit while 'program number' is highlighted, but nothing seemed to happen. I've now found that if I then press the number in question on the remote, it comes up in the program number box in the menu. I was at the BBC1 frequency at the time, and pressed our accustomed no.1 for that (then 'save' or 'store', I think).

However, on scanning across to RTE2, I realised the no. 1 had been inserted in front of the previous 7 so that it was now no. 17. I tried entering 6 while at RTE2, but only succeeded in renumbering it 16 (along with the other channels; maybe that's some default suggestion thing?)

Does anyone know either how to delete/overwrite an existing digit, or how to start all the settings from scratch?
    It's not menu systems in themselves that are any problem (had computers from 1980s). But the only other TV one I've encountered was in a new one yonks ago, a successsful case of set & forget. (The one with the dying/dead screen; I'll see if its handbook is still around though, in case it has any clue for this one).

Well, it looks as if it was 'set, forget and throw away the manual' for that TV!
    Did some more searching on my Wharfedale model, but couldn't find anything on it. All I could find on resetting their other models was via an option in the main menu called Setup, which my TV doesn't have. It does have a menu called Installation, which has the Settings option containing the Programming option that I've been doing the stuff in; but there's nothing about resetting there. (Perhaps some snaps/sketches of the menus would help here?)

I did notice somewhere that a Playstation can be reset by turning off, then pressing & holding the power button down for 5 seconds. Worth a try with the TV? (Or perhaps risky in some way?)

Found the answer eventually, by trial & error.
    I think my confusion in the programming department was because it hadn't dawned that the onscreen menu expresses a single-digit programme number with a 0 in front.

I found some of the number buttons no longer work so well with the menus though, so tried starting again but in reverse, first pressing no.1 on the remote. No picture of course (having been programmed in England), but the menus were available as before, including the channel scanner. Having got it to BBC1, I pressed OK and it was duly saved. And so on with the other channels (the written-down frequencies saved a bit of time here).

Well, at least I might have a clue now when installing the digital stuff, if those menu systems are fairly standard that is. (Not that there's any shortage of info about it).

• Advertisement
Advertisement