Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUBLIN ARTISAN'S EXHIBITION 1885

Options
  • 27-09-2012 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

hi

does anyone know anything about this exhibition in 1885?

i believe it was in "south city markets" which i think is now georges st arcade?

who would have owned "south city markets" at the time or who what body would have run such an event?

my grandfather won an award for "highest standard of excellence in workmanship"

any ideas how i might research further?

thanks for reading this

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hi there - after a quick look on the National Library website, they have a copy of the original prospectus there which you might be able to arrange a viewing of for more info?

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000179049

They also have a facility on the website to email a librarian with a question - they may be able to find more info for you or some images.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Dublin City Collection upstairs in Pearse Street Library might be worth contacting too, especially if you can give them more details - name, trade etc..
    http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/libraries/Heritage%20and%20History/Collections/pages/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭lenc

thanks miamee i will certainly look up the prospectus

thanks to you too spurious.i never thought of the pearse library!

i am trawling through the papers of the time and finding bits and bobs.

it would be great to find out more about the prize etc

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭lenc

i found this online.thought it might be interesting.

it was awarded at this exhibition

my grandfather would have been given one similiar

iuFc0.jpg

Tvs4l.jpg

Advertisement