Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!!! New SSD wrong drive letter asscociated with win7

Options
  • 27-09-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi Hope somebody can help. I’m trying to avoid a fresh install of windows.

I purchased at Samsung SSD which came with Norton ghost 15. I followed the instructions to make an image of the C drive and the 100mb partition for windows 7.

This is where things went wrong; I should have disconnected the old drive and restarted so my new drive would become the C drive. But because I restarted with both drives the SSD is now D drive and my old drive remains C.

I tried changing the C drive to H and when I restart window got stuck on preparing Desktop. When I ran explorer it loaded a temp profile from which normal programs and tools could not be run.

What is the easiest way to fix this?

When I get home today I was thinking of trying to get the original HDD back a C drive then removing the Drive letter associated with the SSD. Then connect the SSD on its own and restart. This might be a long shot as I think the SSD has this association in its registry.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Popey32 wrote: »
    Hi Hope somebody can help. I’m trying to avoid a fresh install of windows.

I purchased at Samsung SSD which came with Norton ghost 15. I followed the instructions to make an image of the C drive and the 100mb partition for windows 7.

This is where things went wrong; I should have disconnected the old drive and restarted so my new drive would become the C drive. But because I restarted with both drives the SSD is now D drive and my old drive remains C.

I tried changing the C drive to H and when I restart window got stuck on preparing Desktop. When I ran explorer it loaded a temp profile from which normal programs and tools could not be run.

What is the easiest way to fix this?

When I get home today I was thinking of trying to get the original HDD back a C drive then removing the Drive letter associated with the SSD. Then connect the SSD on its own and restart. This might be a long shot as I think the SSD has this association in its registry.

If the HDD was down as the C: drive then windows must have booted of that drive rather than the SSD, and so would have only have changed the registry settings on the HDD not the SSD.

In that case the SSD should still be unchanged from when you made the image, and you should be able to boot from it just by removing the C drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Popey32

I removed the c drive by changing the drive letter and disconnecting the drive. The SSD boots to the login, after logging in I get the message "preparing desktop" and then to a blue blank screen. This is i belive because it cant find the desktop as C no longer Exist.

I found away to edit the registry from windows PE

http://diddy.boot-land.net/firadisk/files/mounteddevices.htm

"If the MountedDevices key is deleted then new drive letters will be assigned during the boot process"

So maybe I can set the SSD drive as C

Advertisement