Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rapist - 'demands paternal visitation rights to the child he fathered with victim'

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

AND for the record, a 20 year old female with a 14 year old lad is just as sickening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Biggins wrote: »
    Gauss wrote: »
    Why are you assuming "as far as you can see" the only thing he cared for was having sex with her?

I have already explained that above in previous posts.
    How is your eyesight?

No you haven't, you've been giving politicians explanations, ie avoiding the question.

Fact of the matter is you don't know if he cared about her or not. You are guessing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No you haven't, you've been giving politicians explanations, ie avoiding the question.

Fact of the matter is you don't know if he cared about her or not. You are guessing.

Thats you opinion.
    My opinion is based on the finding of the court.

We shall agree to differ clearly.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thats you opinion.

Your opinion only makes sense to me if the guy was convicted of rape rather than statutory rape? I thought the court convicted him of the latter?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Your opinion only makes sense to me if the guy was convicted of rape rather than statutory rape? I thought the court convicted him of the latter?

We could debate over wordplay but the conclusion legally is still the same (and it won't really change anything).
    He's on record as a rapist now and sadly another female is an official victim.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We could debate over wordplay but the conclusion legally is still the same (and it won't really change anything).
    He's on record as a rapist now and sadly another female is an official victim.

Wordplay? Debate? He pleaded guilty to statutory rape, it's there in black and white, but don't let that get in the way of your own hypothetical reasoning.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Wordplay? Debate? He pleaded guilty to statutory rape, it's there in black and white, but don't let that get in the way of your own hypothetical reasoning.

Well that was decent of him wasn't it!
    So he is still a convicted rapist then. I think we can agree on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

They must have had a girl then I guess.

Well that was decent of him wasn't it!
    So he is still a convicted rapist then. I think we can agree on that.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

As far as I'm concerned a 14 year old cant consent to sex any more than a 12 or 10 year old can. They are not old enough to make that decision. If it was a sixteen year old and fifteen year old i could see the difficulty in labeling him a rapist but this man was 20. He was a fully grown man who had sex with a child just out of puberty. So what if he didn't physically force her? Date rapists don't use force. Doesn't mean they aren't scum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Thats you opinion.

I haven't given an opinion, there's no way I could possibly know if he cares or cared about her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

brummytom wrote: »
    Of course he shouldn't

Why shouldn't he ?? Statutory rape is not rape, sure, having sex with an underage child is abominable crime, but it's not like he forcibly raped her. The age of consent in Spain is 14 afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yep it's the Mail but:
    The girl said her rapist had threatened her and promised to destroy her life: 'He told me that he could make my life upside down, and I wouldn’t have anybody and he would pin it all on me. So I was scared.'
    The man's legal representative refused to comment on the requests to see his child, but said the initial relationship between the victim and his client was consensual.

That would suggest it was consensual but he didn't act in a caring way afterwards. That's her view though, must have been scarey for a 14 year old.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

brummytom wrote: »
    Of course he shouldn't

Why shouldn't he ?? Statutory rape is not rape, sure, having sex with an underage child is abominable crime, but it's not like he forcibly raped her. The age of consent in Spain is 14 afaik.

So threats intimidation drugging or tricking kids into bed is ok as long as you don't use force?

God I hope you don't have children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

did he know at the time that she was 14, i know alot of young girls who are 14 and look more 18, because of their dress.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

MagicSean wrote: »
    So threats intimidation drugging or tricking kids into bed is ok as long as you don't use force?

Apologies, didn't read the whole article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

MagicSean wrote: »

Hysterical and exaggerate much? or are you reading a different article? if so can you link?

goat2 wrote: »
    did he know at the time that she was 14, i know alot of young girls who are 14 and look more 18, because of their dress.

He was going out with her friends sister, so I presume he had a good idea of her age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Another part of the world and it would be normal. I don't agree with it personally, but I don't agree with people ruling other peoples lives based on their own beliefs.

At what age does one gain the ability of deciding for one self?

Another part of the world and it would be normal. I don't agree with it personally, but I don't agree with people ruling other peoples lives based on their own beliefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

davet82 wrote: »
    How so? A rapist is a rapist same way a murder is a murder no matter what degree it is, no?

And helping a terminally ill person in a lot of pain to die is the same as walking out in the street, picking somone at random and stabbing them to death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

davet82 wrote: »

Which one? The newborn that's his kid or the child he's already had plenty of "access" to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

And helping a terminally ill person in a lot of pain to die is the same as walking out in the street, picking somone at random and stabbing them to death.

you are absoultely right, the exact same.

in both cases they are covicted of murder, they are in the eyes of the law murderers and i can use the description murderer in my title of a thread as do a newspaper if they wish.

now the fact that the mercy killer will get a suspened sentence and the random attacker will get life shows there are different levels/degrees of a crime but if the crime is murder then its still murder.

thanks for proving that point ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

in some parts of the world grown men marry 12 year olds but it dosen't make it right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

So this chap had sex with a child, knowing she was a child, then used threats to keep her quiet about it. Here's a question - would you want to have to leave him in sole charge of your three year old on a regular basis? Would you want to have to deal with him, once a week, by law, for the next 13 years of your child's life?

There is a very good chance he doesn't actually want visitation rights, btw. According to the source story, he only filed when he was required to pay child support. This is a known tactic in US states with poor victim protection legislation, all 31 of them that allow rapist visitation or even custody suits.

It's basically a threat - "If you press this legally, I will make myself a feature of your life for almost two decades. I will threaten your custody security, I will drag you through court, I will make you think and talk about what I did to you over and over again for the benefit of strangers."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

So this chap had sex with a child, knowing she was a child, then used threats to keep her quiet about it. Here's a question - would you want to have to leave him in sole charge of your three year old on a regular basis? Would you want to have to deal with him, once a week, by law, for the next 13 years of your child's life?

There is a very good chance he doesn't actually want visitation rights, btw. According to the source story, he only filed when he was required to pay child support. This is a known tactic in US states with poor victim protection legislation, all 31 of them that allow rapist visitation or even custody suits.

It's basically a threat - "If you press this legally, I will make myself a feature of your life for almost two decades. I will threaten your custody security, I will drag you through court, I will make you think and talk about what I did to you over and over again for the benefit of strangers."

EXACTLY.
    the probation was part of an arrangement in which he had to acknowledge he’s the baby’s father and follow probate and family court rules, according to the station.

That requires him to pay child support — but also gives him the chance to seek visitation.

An attorney for the man wouldn’t comment about visitation requests but said the initial relationship between the victim and his client was consensual.

But an attorney for the victim told the Daily News she filed a motion Aug. 1 asking the Superior Court judge to amend the sentencing conditions: Instead of child support, he would pay "restitution," which would prevent him from gaining access to the child through family court.

“What was the criminal court judge thinking punishing the man with the privilege of parental rights?” attorney Wendy Murphy asked Wednesday. “That’s way past irony.”

The problem here (apart from the crime itself) is the punishment. In order to make the rapist "pay", the judge forced him to recognise the child as his own and pay child support ... which, under family law, entitles him to visitation. I'd be surprised if he actually wanted visitation, this seems to be a tactic to stop paying the child support.

Advertisement