Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do I buy a monitor off?

Options
  • 27-09-2012 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey,
    I'm in the market for a 27' monitor. I've found a Philips eline at a good price on Pixmania and Dabs.ie. But i looked the companies up on Boards and they both seam to get slated a lot. I know every company wont have 100% satisfaction rate but is there any decent hardware distributers out there ?
    Thanks
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Check Amazon, they are a pleasure to deal with if there is any trouble and are nearly always competitively priced. I would stay away from pixmania at the least, I hate they way they operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Companies that I have used (with no hassle) with an Irish base of some description

Komplett.ie
    elara.ie

Offshore

amazon.co.uk
    misco.ie
    overclockers.co.uk

I got my last monitor off an amazon seller in Germany, great monitor but the free delivery can take a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I'd rather recommend this one. Cheaper, brighter, faster and 3 yrs warranty instead of 2. Plus you'll get lovely black bars in full HD (meaning 1200p rather than 1080p).

I'm using the predecessor here (2 of them), which is even brighter (500/cdm2) and have no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Brian 0f 1reland

Thanks for your replies peoples, greatly appreciated. I'll start clicking on the supplied links.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Stay well away from pixmania and Komplett, jesus the hassle if something goes wrong and then the wait for a refund. I use Amazon alot and dabs and ebuyer too.

All good online retailers.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know much about BENQ monitors ? are they good or bad?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Does anyone know much about BENQ monitors ? are they good or bad?

They would have a decent reputation, I'd certainly have no issue with owning one myself.

When buying a monitor it is probably best to pick out a particular model you like the look of and find a few reviews first, as be it Samsung, Phillips, LG or BenQ etc. they all churn a healthy mixture of high quality and budget product lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

I would not recommend Pixmania and Dabs neither.

I had successful deals with:
    Komplett.ie
    elara.ie
    Argos.ie
    amazon.co.uk
    hardwareversand.de

I got Acer S271HLAbid from argos because they give interest free credit for 6 months when bought a product worth €250 or up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Stay well away from pixmania and Komplett, jesus the hassle if something goes wrong and then the wait for a refund. I use Amazon alot and dabs and ebuyer too.

All good online retailers.

I've used Komplett many times. I had to return a GPU a few months ago and had no hassles with them. They are located in Dublin but, the main warehouse is in Holland. They also have a forum here on boards ie where you can talk to them if you need help. I'd also recommend hardwareversand and OverclcokersUK.

If you want to dance on the wild side buying the Yamakasi Catleap monitors for around $350 from South Korea is the new trend. They're the same $1000 IPS screens that go into the Apple and high end Dells monitors . Read about it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056587214
    PC Perspective wrote about it here,
    http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/Achieva-Shimian-27-Monitor-Review-1440p-IPS-Display-Under-350

freestyla wrote: »
    I would not recommend Pixmania and Dabs neither.

I had successful deals with:
    Komplett.ie
    elara.ie
    Argos.ie
    amazon.co.uk
    hardwareversand.de

I got Acer S271HLAbid from argos because they give interest free credit for 6 months when bought a product worth €250 or up.

I thought ACER's were ****?

• Advertisement

As it turns out amazon dont deliver to rep of ireland. some folks forgot to mention that :mad:

So on goes the search for a monitor.....feck sake

Found a nice lg on elara but ...they dont do paypal...fml

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

As it turns out amazon dont deliver to rep of ireland. some folks forgot to mention that :mad:

So on goes the search for a monitor.....feck sake

Amazon themselves do ship to ireland but the majority of their third party sellers don't. Always check to see who it is sold buy when shopping on amazon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Komplett have a good selction of 27" at the moment and accept paypal.

How about this Samsung?

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/monitors/20136732/samsung_27__s27b350h_led_hdmi_vga/details.aspx

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

They support Laser which is handy though :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

I thought ACER's were ****?

Nope :)

Acer were sh** 10 yrs ago, well.. they still are sh** in low-end products, the cheapest ones but if you go a notch up I think it has the best quality-price ratio.

First I bought 27" LG one from Argos but returned it since it had one blue sub-pixel -very nice return service of Argos because LG (and other manufacturers) return only in case of 3-4 faulty pixels!

My previous 2 monitors (19" and 22") were Acer S series -was happy with both for 3 years so went for this Acer S271HLAbid, and didn't regret at all. Has all 3 PC inputs VGA, DVI and HDMI so no need for adapters if connecting to different graphic cards. Bright and very good colors for daily use.

IS this a good monitor spec?

BENQ
    9H.L7ELA.TPE, 24IN LCD G2450 16:10 5MS 1920X1080 DVI-D BK
    Brilliant image quality
    50000:1 dynamic contrast ratio offers you the finest details
    Full HD 1080p 16:9 visual perfection
    Superior response time
    Senseye technology
    ENERGY STAR qualified

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Looks alright, have a Benq myself (G2420HD) and it's excellent