Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small automatic gate

Options
  • 27-09-2012 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭

Hi guys , hoping someone out there can help . I've made a small automatic gate using an drill motor and an articulated arm. It applies enough force to move the gate without being dangerous .
    I'm trying to make a circuit that allows the motor to run for 6-7 seconds then stop , wait for ten seconds then reverse for another 6-7 seconds and stop again .
    I'm trying to not use limit switches to break the circuit as the gate needs to be able to be pushed open or closed
    I've had some ideas of using a wireless doorbell to activate the relay for the duration of the tone being played .. I have a 555 timer chip and some transistors, capacitors, relays , Reed switches ect
    Any help is greatly appreciated :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

wheres robbie??????

reminds me of this thread though

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056719203

just realized its you

how them chickens doing??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Haha there doing great :-) the door is going strong through wind and all the rain ;)
    This new yoke is for halloween :-)

maybe the motor on some sort of cam to open and close gate(with loose spring attached)

The gate opens and closes fine , I have it connected up to a battery .. Can you get magnetic reed switches that open the circuit when the magnet is applied ? Or is there some way of messing about with a typical reed switch to make it work this way ?

• Advertisement

Anyone :/

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

The gate opens and closes fine , I have it connected up to a battery .. Can you get magnetic reed switches that open the circuit when the magnet is applied ? Or is there some way of messing about with a typical reed switch to make it work this way ?

I don't think reed switches can be opened by applying a magnet, but you could use it to control a relay that reverses the polarity to the gate motor.
    Maybe make a really slow bistable multivibrator, triggered to reverse polarity by the reed switches closing as the gate opens & closes.
    Might be possible to do it with just relays & reed switches if the reeds can handle the current.

100's of ways of doing this, but if you keep it simple it's more reliable.

Advertisement