Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bonus in new job

Options
  • 27-09-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Hey all. started working for a large multinational here. pay agreed and no problem. get paid today and got my base pay as expexted but also go significant amount of money as a relocation bonus. This isnt in my contract and from doing some digging it relates to employees living over certain distance and moving for new job. fair enough.

so i felt i would do right thing and talk to payroll. i told them i didnt move and under eligibility distance and could they look into it. they escalated thw matter and came back to me and said it is a relocation bonus and they were advised to pay it to me in first payroll and should direct any queries to my manager.

so what should i do. i dont want to make manager feel awkward if he wanted to pay it to me but also want to be good employee and have done the right thing so far. I would obviously love to keep but only if morally right. any thoughts?

the job Is very important to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

...drinks on you @ 17.59! See you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Follow the suggestion:

Escalate it to your manager. It's not from your managers budget so he/she won't be bothered id say but as long as you can show that you tried to cover off the issue then you're ok.

Sound like you are going to be quids in really. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

chris85 wrote: »
    Hey all. started working for a large multinational here. pay agreed and no problem. get paid today and got my base pay as expexted but also go significant amount of money as a relocation bonus. This isnt in my contract and from doing some digging it relates to employees living over certain distance and moving for new job. fair enough.

so i felt i would do right thing and talk to payroll. i told them i didnt move and under eligibility distance and could they look into it. they escalated thw matter and came back to me and said it is a relocation bonus and they were advised to pay it to me in first payroll and should direct any queries to my manager.

so what should i do. i dont want to make manager feel awkward if he wanted to pay it to me but also want to be good employee and have done the right thing so far. I would obviously love to keep but only if morally right. any thoughts?

Say it to him, if it was an accident he should admire your honesty and let you keep it, if it was meant for you happy days and say thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

bryaner wrote: »

Say it to him, if it was an accident he should admire your honesty and let you keep it, if it was meant for you happy days and say thanks..

You've gone to HR so your conscience is clear. Keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Thanks for replies. think i will chat with manager and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Nothing to lose by talking to your manager.

It's very unlikely that he'd look for it back, especially since you were honest about it. (And, even if he did, it's money you weren't expecting in the first place - so you're not losing out.) You'll definitely gain his respect by being so honest about it.

I'd say it's unlikely that it was an accident tbh - they had probably budgeted in a relocation bonus, for the right candidate, so he decided he might as well give it to you even though it didn't apply, seeing as it was budgeted for anyways.

By the sounds of it, you wouldn't be comfortable with just taking the money, anyways, until you're sure.

Nothing to lose by talking to your manager.

It's very unlikely that he'd look for it back, especially since you were honest about it. (And, even if he did, it's money you weren't expecting in the first place - so you're not losing out.) You'll definitely gain his respect by being so honest about it.

I'd say it's unlikely that it was an accident tbh - they had probably budgeted in a relocation bonus, for the right candidate, so he decided he might as well give it to you even though it didn't apply, seeing as it was budgeted for anyways.

By the sounds of it, you wouldn't be comfortable with just taking the money, anyways, until you're sure.

i ended up not speaking to manager. on way to him i met few other new guys and same happend to all. it may be just whats normal and best to not rock the boat. i am glad everyone got same so unlikely a mistake and more a departmental thing so i think not best to say something on it. i have covered myself in a way speaking to HR and was open on my situation so leaving sleeping dogs lie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I'd never speak to HR without speaking to my direct line manager first.

I'd never speak to HR without speaking to my direct line manager first.

It was payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

It was payroll.

yeah, but did you speak to them or email them? if you spoke to them, there is no proof of you doing this, just your word against theirs. If I were you I would pop off a basic email just seeking confirmation on the payment. That way, if an issue ever does arise, you are covered. Just because everyone got it does not mean it was not a mistake!

I worked for a large company with offices in UK, Germany and Ireland. The number of times errors were made where we got money we shouldn't have or where money was deducted which shouldn't have been. And this would be the whole office. Only when we phoned them would it be realised that they entered the same perameters for UK and Irish staff. As everything is automated, no one thought to manually go in and make the necessary changes for that pay period, just assumed it was correct. Just because they don't realise they made a mistake now doesn't mean they won't make a deduction from next months money. I would'nt get too excited and spend it til next month's salary arrives and you are sure it hasn't been recovered from it.

I understand that you do not want to be the cause of annoying everyone by highlighting it to payroll and then they take it back from you all. I totally get that. So perhaps say very little but I would still get the info you were given in writing just to cover your arses.

• Advertisement

Little Ted wrote: »
    yeah, but did you speak to them or email them? if you spoke to them, there is no proof of you doing this, just your word against theirs. If I were you I would pop off a basic email just seeking confirmation on the payment. That way, if an issue ever does arise, you are covered. Just because everyone got it does not mean it was not a mistake!

I worked for a large company with offices in UK, Germany and Ireland. The number of times errors were made where we got money we shouldn't have or where money was deducted which shouldn't have been. And this would be the whole office. Only when we phoned them would it be realised that they entered the same perameters for UK and Irish staff. As everything is automated, no one thought to manually go in and make the necessary changes for that pay period, just assumed it was correct. Just because they don't realise they made a mistake now doesn't mean they won't make a deduction from next months money. I would'nt get too excited and spend it til next month's salary arrives and you are sure it hasn't been recovered from it.

I understand that you do not want to be the cause of annoying everyone by highlighting it to payroll and then they take it back from you all. I totally get that. So perhaps say very little but I would still get the info you were given in writing just to cover your arses.

Yeah was via email so all good. Will see how next pay day goes.

Advertisement