Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview set top box €49 at Tesco

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

byte wrote: »
    Corholio wrote: »
    Great post, thanks for all the info.

What is the upside down card trick if I may ask? What channels would this trick get?
    I don't think that trick does much anymore. At a time, you had to stick your card in upside down and reboot to make the box "forget" to have the Irish channels at the start of EPG and have many UK ones missing (notably ITV, C4 and C5 and their extras).

Now though, with basic Sky boxes anyway, all you need to do is reboot with no card and it defaults to basic London EPG, so you get all the Beebs, ITV, C5, etc. listed.

If it's a Sky+HD box then things get a bit more complex.
    Get a free sky card from setanta under the bai sound and vision scheme.
    Gives u all the free satellite channels.

Thanks Arturo Gifted Account but how does one get a free sky card from setanta under the bai sound & vision scheme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

Wider Road wrote: »
    Thanks tatranska but how does one get a free sky card from setanta under the bai sound & vision scheme?

You request one.
    How can I watch programming which is funded under the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland Sound & Vision Scheme?
    Setanta Sports supports programming that is funded under the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland Sound & Vision Scheme and broadcasts this programming on a free to view basis such that it may be enjoyed by anybody with satellite equipment and viewing card regardless of whether they are subscribers to the Setanta Sports Pack. If you have a satellite set top box, but do not have a satellite viewing card, we will upon request send you free of charge a satellite viewing card to an address in the Republic of Ireland in order that you can enjoy the Sound & Vision Scheme funded programming..
    http://ie.setanta.com/ie/faqs/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

brian_t wrote: »

Excellent thanks. Does it change the epg or do you still have the freeview channels scattered all over the place with all the scrambled channels in between?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I got the 49e box from tesco, a 16.99 aerial from power city, on monday spent all day tuesday trying to get it tuned in was in the attic,
    the garden on the shed every were still no signal,
    drove me insane then went to my broters house with it as he lives on high ground spent another 4 hours still nothing kept saying on the display please check aerial connection so took it back got my 49e back from tesco so for me guess its bye bye ZTE Why cant it come through the sky box on the freebis anyway like itv/bbc but no we live in rip off Ireland one big money racket really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

patwicklow wrote: »
    I got the 49e box from tesco, a 16.99 aerial from power city, on monday spent all day tuesday trying to get it tuned in was in the attic,
    drove me insane then went to my broters house with it as he lives on high ground spent another 4 hours still nothing kept saying on the display please check aerial connection so took it back got my 49e back from tesco so for me guess its bye bye ZTE Why cant it come through the sky box on the freebis anyway like itv/bbc but no we live in rip off Ireland one big money racket really is.

Did you not get any message from the box itself? Were you in Tv mode or AV 1/SCART/HDMI?
    Do you use an aerial or just sky?
    Why were you in the attic?
    Anyways not sure that indoor aerials are guaranteed to work if the signal is questionable. Do you know what signal quality is like in your area?

Finally I thought most of the main saorview stations were free on SKY, so you're not missing out that much are you. The only difference is you pay for sky rental. Saorview is supposed to be one off fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

ShaunC wrote: »
    Mullingar Tesco has them and it's not an "Extra"

Thanks, it's a bit far away from me though. :p I'll try a few more Tesco stores.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

patwicklow wrote: »

Why don't you post over on the terrestrial forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56, and tell them where you are living, the lads over there will soon tell you whether or not you can receive Saorview, it may me you are pointing your aerial in the wrong direction or something simple like that. Only 2% of the country will not be able to receive Saorview and they will be catered for by Saorsat. If you live in Wicklow, you'd really want to be in a hole in the ground not to be able to receive Saorview so I'd imagine it's something you are doing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

bmaxi wrote: »
    Why don't you post over on the terrestrial forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

They'll also fill the poster in on why RTE don't appear on Sky boxes without subscription and why 'rip off Ireland' has little to do with the reasons behind the establishment of Saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Yamanoto wrote: »
    They'll also fill the poster in on why RTE don't appear on Sky boxes without subscription and why 'rip off Ireland' has little to do with the reasons behind the establishment of Saorview.

... sounds like you're champing at the bit to tell us too ;) .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Have you got an email address to send the request to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

just make sure it isn't one of those TVstar boxes or UK freeview

What's wrong with the TV Star box? :confused:
    I got one of those in Dunnes a couple of months ago and it's working fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

yabadabado wrote: »
    Have you got an email address to send the request to?
    For all customer queries please contact our customer service centre:
    ROI: 0818 20 30 40
    NI: * 0871 277 0393
    E-mail: customerservicesire@setanta.com
    Post: Setanta Sports, Customer Care Dept., PO BOX 26854, KIRKCALDY, KY2 9BH SCOTLAND.
    http://ie.setanta.com/ie/contact-us/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Oracle wrote: »
    ... sounds like you're champing at the bit to tell us too ;) .....

The Oracle shouldn't need telling :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Tried that one earlier on and got a failure notice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What's wrong with the TV Star box? :confused:
    I got one of those in Dunnes a couple of months ago and it's working fine for me.
    For the sake of the difference between what you paid for that box and €49 I'd rather have a Saorview approved box just in case something goes wrong later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

For anyone in Cork, Clare, Limerick or Tipperary, who might be interested in a Saorview and FTA satellite installation package. I've just posted a deal from Co-Op Stores for €259: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056772317

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

yabadabado wrote: »
    Tried that one earlier on and got a failure notice.

You'll only get a canned reply to call them on the phone anyway see below. They seem to want you sky box number when you call too.
    Dear Mr X,

Thank you for contacting Setanta Sports.

We have received your request for a FTA viewing card under the BAI Sound and Vision Scheme.

The BAI is the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland and Setanta broadcast a number of documentaries in funded by them, examples include The Club, An Exile’s Home in the Bronx, Man on A Mission and Yes I Can.

Please be advised that Setanta Sports is a subscription service and if you wish to view our fantastic sporting content then please contact us to discuss the subscription package options available. You will NOT receive our sporting content under the Sound and Vision scheme.

We are happy to order a card for you however this card will only function in a compatible SKY set top box and if you have an existing Sky viewing card then you will already have access to the content we broadcast in conjunction with the BAI Sound and Vision Scheme. We must also advise that if we request a card for you and you do have an existing Sky card then this may cause loss of service on your current viewing card.

We have the best premium live sport on TV including top flight Barclays Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League football, the best golf action from the Masters and the Open exclusively live, deferred coverage of the Rabodirect Pro 12 and action from the GAA.

If you wish to proceed with ordering the FTA card we would need you to contact our customer service department.

We are open from 9:30am to 6pm, Monday to Saturday.

Regards

Customer Services Department
    Setanta Sports

0818 20 30 40 ROI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

To the people who bought this set top box from tesco, can you tell me if it comes with a HDMI cable included, and if there is an RCA audio output/headphone jack on it, as im looking to connect this to a monitor through HDMI -> DVI. cheers

Tinie wrote: »
    To the people who bought this set top box from tesco, can you tell me if it comes with a HDMI cable included, and if there is an RCA audio output/headphone jack on it, as im looking to connect this to a monitor through HDMI -> DVI. cheers

There's definitely a HDMI cable included. Not sure about the RCA audio jack though. I can find out for you tomorrow though if you want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

el diablo wrote: »
    There's definitely a HDMI cable included. Not sure about the RCA audio jack though. I can find out for you tomorrow though if you want.
    That would be great if you could, cheers!

• Advertisement

That would be great if you could, cheers!

Didn't get a chance to check that yet. It's in my parent's house. Maybe tomorrow morning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

See this for HDMI to DVI and SCART to RCA to 3.5mm
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81224567

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement