Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair?

• 27-09-2012 3:28pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, just had to vent a bit:
    Ok I've been in CIT for the last 2 years, and in the autumn repeats I failed 2 exams which I'm appealing, they're both very close to a pass grade and because of that after finding out that my appeal would take TWO WEEKS to process, I contacted my head of department to see if I could attend lectures while I'm in limbo waiting for the exam result, and the answer I got back was, and I quote:
    "It is not possible for you to attend classes until after your appeal due to administrative difficulties."
    Fair enough, I understand that but it still strikes me as grossly unfair and awful planning on the part of CIT, that by the time I get my appeal I will be FOUR WEEKS behind the rest of the class, putting me at a big disadvantage and setting me up for another failure in the winter exams.
    Thanks Cit, for everything.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

So you failed your end of semeter exams, then failed the autumn repeats, and are now appealing the autumn repeats.

The appeals process will take time obviously , but there is problems leaving you sit in on lectures while technically "not a student" off the top of my head the most obvious issues are with things like electives spaces can be tight, today alone i seen 3 lads get turned away from an elective to be told to pick another one , thats how tight spaces are.
    Not to mention administration probably dont want you in a class as they have no hope of getting fees off you if your appeals dont come through.

My honest advice here now is to pass the exam either the first time or on the repeat next time, in my experience if your turning up to your classes and making up your continuous assessment marks you should be passing no problem.

Also if your going to fight this out go to the student union academic affairs officer , they will fight your corner if they feel you are being treated unfairly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

The appeals process will take time obviously , but there is problems leaving you sit in on lectures while technically "not a student" off the top of my head the most obvious issues are with things like electives spaces can be tight, today alone i seen 3 lads get turned away from an elective to be told to pick another one , thats how tight spaces are.

Well as to the lack of elective places, there are all of 7 people in my preferred elective, so thats no issue.
    Not to mention administration probably dont want you in a class as they have no hope of getting fees off you if your appeals dont come through.

Like as not if the appeals fall through ill have to pay fees to repeat them in February, so no real difference there to my knowledge.
    My honest advice here now is to pass the exam either the first time or on the repeat next time, in my experience if your turning up to your classes and making up your continuous assessment marks you should be passing no problem.

Well whether I pass the exam is now out of my hands for the moment, and I had one of the best attendance records in the class and never missed a CA, so the above statement isn't overly well informed in my opinion, though difficulty varies greatly from course to course.
    Also if your going to fight this out go to the student union academic affairs officer , they will fight your corner if they feel you are being treated unfairly.

Good advice about the SU, Ill have to have a think but off the top of my head the time it'd take the education officer to force the colleges hand, (if possible), would likely take as long as, if not longer than my appeals to process. Not too bad an idea though, thanks for that.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

WHY Not go to Class any Way and just not Sign up to those Classes...

Wait a while.. and if you do not get them you just stop going to the Class.... do what half of the ppl do dont Reg till about 1 week before the Exams :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

I know a guy who failed a few modules last year in 2011 in summer when finishing first year and then having repeated them in August, still failed one of these a 2nd time. In spite of this he was let into 2nd year and repeated it a 3rd time this May(hopefully pasted). He was in the Physics department. So it just goes to show. There is nothing stopping u from sitting in on lecturers if they are large. If u've been paying the college over 2 grand each year then they owe it to you.

But bear in mind there is an equally high a chance of these grades coming down as there is going up. In the most extreme of cases they might let a student through on 38% if his/her attendance has been excellent.. but I think u should be allowed to sit them again next May and go into 3rd year now!

If you were as motivated as what you sound then you probably would have past these modules first time. I'd imagine you must hate the course or something to end up getting grades like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

What's stopping you getting in touch with your classmates who have gone into the next year, copying notes and doing what you can in the meantime to not fall too far behind? If you really think you are going into make the grade it's your best option in my opinion.

When it comes to what the last poster said about keeping on one subject and doing the exam next May along with the exams from 3rd year that is not possible if this year of your course is an award year.

From CIT's standpoint if they were to move the repeats forward to accommodate what is in no doubt a tiny minority who fail repeats and hope to pass on appeal they are going to meet resistance from a huge amount of students who want the maximum amount of time between exams and repeats to study.

Might I ask what course you are doing and what subject it is you are appealing?

• Advertisement

mackg wrote: »

When it comes to what the last poster said about keeping on one subject and doing the exam next May along with the exams from 3rd year that is not possible if this year of your course is an award year.

What's an award year????

A year where you receive a qualification. If it's a course where you get a cert after second year, an ordinary degree after third year and an honours degree after fourth year then 2nd, 3rd and 4th are all award years and first year is the only year where you can do what you described. If it's a level 8 course and you get nothing until the end of 4th year then you can carry subjects from year to year.

A year where you receive a qualification. If it's a course where you get a cert after second year, an ordinary degree after third year and an honours degree after fourth year then 2nd, 3rd and 4th are all award years and first year is the only year where you can do what you described. If it's a level 8 course and you get nothing until the end of 4th year then you can carry subjects from year to year.

I couldn't manage to find out whether this degree is an awards one or not? How can you tell? Do you get a cert after 2 years with this degree? http://www.cit.ie/course/CR365

no, if you leave that course before completing 4th year you leave with nothing. you can tell by the fact that it's labelled as BSc (honours) course

no, if you leave that course before completing 4th year you leave with nothing. you can tell by the fact that it's labelled as BSc (honours) course

Cool

Whats the maximum no. of failed modules you can carry forward to the next May without losing a year (i.e, if u failed them twice already)??

• Advertisement

one I think and I would be shocked if it was any more than two

Advertisement