Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Weather Expert" Mark Vogan Live on American Radio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

now on the air!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Wow, a truck driver from Scotland with no formal scientific qualification gets on US radio as an meteorological expert.....good for him!

Any need for a sarcastic comment?

I'm a Web Developer with no formal qualifications and educated to GCSE level and shock horror I'm paid by company to do this... just because he has no formal qualifications doesn't necessarily mean he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about or doing.

@ Tyler

No, his webcasts last year did a good enough job of doing that. He's a waffler, pure and simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

I did'nt join his website but the free forecasts he provided on youtube where informative and engaging and I must admit I do like his accent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Anyways....:rolleyes:....what did he have to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I heard he charged a paper over 100 Pounds for them to put a piece of his forecasts in paper last year... tut tut tu... ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I heard he charged a paper over 100 Pounds for them to put a piece of his forecasts in paper last year... tut tut tu... ha

Yes, I've heard. And if HE were here, he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Su Campu wrote: »
    @ Tyler

No, his webcasts last year did a good enough job of doing that. He's a waffler, pure and simple

I could not agree with you more Su Campu - he is an out and out waffler. Forecast -20oC temps for Scotland last year along lakes freezing over in England and Ireland.

Total bull**** and when I challenged him on it via YouTube he did not like it.

Vogan sees what he wants to see and no doubt will be predicting snowmageddon again in his end of October winter forecast.

The whole idea of him charging folks is laughable - he only discovered the Azores High a good while after his website was online. A total chancer, I pity the silly mugs paying for his drivel :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Tbh i have to admire Vogan for gaining the notoriety he has in the last year or so considering as has been stated, his lack of scientific qualifications, but lets face it, people love to be entertained and Mark is pure fantasy island and we all love that:) A pure chancer indeed but sure ah god love him, he means well..

• Advertisement

I completely respect the likes MT Cranium, SU Campu, WolfIRE (great to see him bacK) IanCar etc and I really enjoy reading any post they have made, but sometimes I find it extremely hard to understand what they have said due to lack of experience/education but that's all down to me being a novice.

For a complete novice like myself I did enjoy watching his videos (until the subscription charge came in) for the simple reason; he was explaining the charts being showed which has helping me understand weather systems and the terminology associated with weather.

Although I do agree that he does waffle on at times, and is sometimes hard to understand!

But I'm seeing a trend that the experts here on boards, 95% of the time disagree completely with his work and think he's talking complete ****e.

Out of curiosity, if he is disliked so much, why does he keep getting mentioned throughout threads on here?

And if someone can suggest other people to watch on the likes of YouTube, or any pod casts, I would be grateful for the links!!

For anyone interested, you can listen to his talk on the radio at http://goo.gl/fyoD9

P.S. I don't mean for anything I've said above to be offensive to anyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I completely respect the likes MT Cranium, SU Campu, WolfIRE (great to see him bacK) IanCar etc and I really enjoy reading any post they have made, but sometimes I find it extremely hard to understand what they have said due to lack of experience/education but that's all down to me being a novice.

For a complete novice like myself I did enjoy watching his videos (until the subscription charge came in) for the simple reason; he was explaining the charts being showed which has helping me understand weather systems and the terminology associated with weather.

Although I do agree that he does waffle on at times, and is sometimes hard to understand!

But I'm seeing a trend that the experts here on boards, 95% of the time disagree completely with his work and think he's talking complete ****e.

Out of curiosity, if he is disliked so much, why does he keep getting mentioned throughout threads on here?

And if someone can suggest other people to watch on the likes of YouTube, or any pod casts, I would be grateful for the links!!

For anyone interested, you can listen to his talk on the radio at http://goo.gl/fyoD9

P.S. I don't mean for anything I've said above to be offensive to anyone :)

You should check out some of the threads on netweather and theweatheroutlook forums. The winter and model discussion threads are usually quite interesting. Most of the people on there that make detailed posts are a lot more knowledgeable and rational than the likes of Vogan. That doesn't mean you have to take any of it seriously. It's all just speculation and fun at the end of the day, but instead of chancers looking to make a name for themselves and sell premium forecasts, its just people discussing the thing that interests them, our weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Su Campu wrote: »
    Wow, a truck driver from Scotland with no formal scientific qualification gets on US radio as an meteorological expert.....good for him!

And he cant deliver post either!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Fair play to him making a bit of money out of it somehow.

:)

Hi Tyler. I like watching Simon Keeling of weatheronline.co.uk.

He outlines the 3-5 day forecast very well and then proceeds to explain what may happen after this period. He often gives more than one possible outcome and explains why.

You can follow/subscribe to his youtube channel here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/WeatherSchool?feature=g-all-u

He tends to err on the side of caution when it comes to possible significant weather events being hinted at in the models. He has a personal liking for the Canadian model, the GEM.

All in all, well worth a follow.

He does a daily video. Here is Thursday's video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Simon Keeling was pretty good winter 11/12. Not much happened that. But some people were trying to push a cold agenda when there wasn't even a hint for UK/IRE.

There's nothing wrong with making a forecast and getting it wrong. It's when people insist on "holding onto the idea" that this or that will happen, and when it doesn't, still claiming "thengs toorned oot as aye predected last month"!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Oh miaow, Su! ;)

You're absolutely right though, he is nothing but a spoofer. From following enthusiastic but dogmatic amateurs on here it makes you realise the substance, or lack of, of the crap he peddles.

He is the meteorological equivalent of a late night TV psychic, and now even his fees compare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Last christmas Vogan went for a white one and Sponge Bob predicted record high temperatures. Sponge Bob was proved correct with an equal warmest christmas day on record in southern Ireland and possibly an outright record up North.

Vogan is a quack who simply tells the gullible what they want to hear. I cannot stop the gullible from listening to him although I wish they wouldn't constantly share this tripe with us every blooody winter. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Larbre34 wrote: »

He is the meteorological equivalent of a late night TV psychic, and now even his fees compare.

The video posted on here a couple of weeks ago really put the tin hat on these amateur UK based forecasts for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlgWB8hMK8E&list=UU561yly22XzOylY8FaBwrTg&index=2&feature=plcp

Within the first 30 seconds of the video we hear 'Winter is coming'. Very cold for September' and so on and so boringly forth before we were treated to a long-winded, and very hyped up discussion on what really was a normal WNW Atlantic Polar maritime flow which occurs every second day, and at anytime of the year, in this part of the world.

What I don't really get is why Vogan and other similar Uk forecasters are so looked up too by the wider weather community. There tell us nothing that any of us on here don't know already. As has been said already though, they do have a real purpose in hyping people up as much as possible because their interest is not about genuinely informing and educating people about the weather, but to exploit them as much as possible so as they will subscribe and pay to listen to their apocalyptic rubbish.

Maybe I am alone in my thinking on this, and don't really care if I am but I do think this forum would be a lot better off without the constant stream of video forecasts from these guys that are posted up during the winter season.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The video posted on here a couple of weeks ago really put the tin hat on these amateur UK based forecasts for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlgWB8hMK8E&list=UU561yly22XzOylY8FaBwrTg&index=2&feature=plcp

Within the first 30 seconds of the video we hear 'Winter is coming'. Very cold for September' and so on and so boringly forth before we were treated to a long-winded, and very hyped up discussion on what really was a normal WNW Atlantic Polar maritime flow which occurs every second day, and at anytime of the year, in this part of the world.

What I don't really get is why Vogan and other similar Uk forecasters are so looked up too by the wider weather community. There tell us nothing that any of us on here don't know already. As has been said already though, they do have a real purpose in hyping people up as much as possible because their interest is not about genuinely informing and educating people about the weather, but to exploit them as much as possible so as they will subscribe and pay to listen to their apocalyptic rubbish.

Maybe I am alone in my thinking on this, and don't really care if I am but I do think this forum would be a lot better off without the constant stream of video forecasts from these guys that are posted up during the winter season.
    People proably listin to vogan because when people frist start to get an intrest in weather and start to search for weather on the web he is one of the first names that jump out at you ,when i first startted to be intrested in weather i tought he was good but as i learnt more and joined bords i soon found how much of a hope caster he is ,maby your self, su ,wolf,maquiladora ect and the weather mods could show the newer posters and less experanced like myself better forcasters to follow rather than give out when somone post something from him or others like him.I find sioman kelling the best on line at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Nabber wrote: »
    Simon Keeling was pretty good winter 11/12. Not much happened that. But some people were trying to push a cold agenda when there wasn't even a hint for UK/IRE.

Saying there wasn't a hint is wrong. In late Jan / early February we were very close to extreme cold, in fact the south east UK got some. In fact many commentators called this wrong - in fact Evelyn C on RTE said it was on the way in one bulletin. I know a few others on here called it right though (Su and maybe DM2 amongst them).

I appreciate however that Vogan's forecasts last year weren't simply wrong about the late Jan / early February outbreak. Everywhere he looked he saw epic cold on its way.

ZX7R wrote: »
    ,maby your self, su ,wolf,maquiladora ect and the weather mods could show the newer posters and less experanced like myself better forcasters to follow rather than give out when somone post something from him or others like him.I find sioman kelling the best on line at the moment.

Fair point. although most of the guys you mention do post forecasts, analysis of synoptic situations at any given time etc and go to great lengths to do so. As for Simon Keeling, I suppose he is the best of a bad lot but not sure how relevant his forecasts are for this country as conditions in the UK can be vastly different at any given time to weather conditions here despite being so close to us.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

.....in fact Evelyn C on RTE said it was on the way in one bulletin.

Can vividly remember that one! :) Lots of dark to very dark blues all over the place - I think it lasted for one forecast (not even one day).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wolfe_IRE wrote: »
    I like watching Simon Keeling of weatheronline.co.uk.

I've been watching Simon Keelings forecasts quiet a while now and agree with Wolfe. Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Fair point. although most of the guys you mention do post forecasts, analysis of synoptic situations at any given time etc and go to great lengths to do so. As for Simon Keeling, I suppose he is the best of a bad lot but not sure how relevant his forecasts are for this country as conditions in the UK can be vastly different at any given time to weather conditions here despite being so close to us.
    I know you and the other guys do a great job posting forecast charts articles and great information ,hats off to you all and thank you all , so have you a winter forecast for us deep easterly:D

ZX7R wrote: »
    I know you and the other guys do a great job posting forecast charts articles and great information ,hats off to you all and thank you all , so have you a winter forecast for us deep easterly:D
    No problem.

Here is a free forecast:

I think this winter will be cooler than it is at the moment. Could be wet at times, but also expect some dry spells. The odd windy spell may occur, as well as the possibility of some frosty nights and the odd snow day. Expect some low cloud and drizzle near coasts at times as well.

Now here is a premium forecast that I charge for:

Very severe winter on the way. Expect coldest winter in at least 500 years, with lots and lots of snow - so deep that you won't be able to breathe. Temperatures may dip as low as -38.2c in parts of Cork and -42.7c Galway and maybe Dublin. The elderly will perish, the young will plead to die, and mammoths, with their slow, lumbering gait, will tread once again over the bogs of Ireland.

That'll be 100 Euro plazzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

No problem.

Here is a free forecast:

I think this winter will be cooler than it is at the moment. Could be wet at times, but also expect some dry spells. The odd windy spell may occur, as well as the possibility of some frosty nights and the odd snow day. Expect some low cloud and drizzle near coasts at times as well.

Now here is a premium forecast that I charge for:

Very severe winter on the way. Expect coldest winter in at least 500 years, with lots and lots of snow - so deep that you won't be able to breathe. Temperatures may dip as low as -38.2c in parts of Cork and -42.7c Galway and maybe Dublin. The elderly will perish, the young will plead to die, and mammoths, with their slow, lumbering gait, will tread once again over the bogs of Ireland.

That'll be 100 Euro plazzzz
    Feck your free one i want to hear more about your premium forecast,wow can't wait for that to happen :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Vogan was promising snow all winter and in early February he had good cause to. Everyone did. I expected it too for around 3 days in early Feb.

This, on the other hand, was complete ****e of the highest order with no foundation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ksiUB6DneI 18 Dec 11
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dXn_9VY3BQ 21 Dec 11

when it was pretty obvious ( to me anyway) that it would go the other way.

That was the only outright forecast I made all winter and all. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement