Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 820

Options
  • 27-09-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

Now that we have lots of details about both phones, I thought it would be appropriate to have a separate thread for the little brother.

I suppose this will retails at about €450-470, so I'm hoping to pay somewhere around €250 for one as an upgrade on Vodafone. Honestly, I cannot for the life of me see what in the 920 would make it worth €150-odd more.

Anyone else planning on getting one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

Now that we have lots of details about both phones, I thought it would be appropriate to have a separate thread for the little brother.

I suppose this will retails at about €450-470, so I'm hoping to pay somewhere around €250 for one as an upgrade on Vodafone. Honestly, I cannot for the life of me see what in the 920 would make it worth €150-odd more.

Anyone else planning on getting one?

Em, much better design...in keeping with current Lumia 800/900 beautifulness...
    HD+ screen....
    Wireless charging built in...
    Pureview camera lens and technology....
    32GB storage versus 8GB...

Quite a lot actually and I wouldn't waste my money buying the 820 when I could get the 920 for just 100EUR more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Queerdub wrote: »
    Em, much better design...in keeping with current Lumia 800/900 beautifulness...
    HD+ screen....
    Wireless charging built in...
    Pureview camera lens and technology....
    32GB storage versus 8GB...

Quite a lot actually and I wouldn't waste my money buying the 820 when I could get the 920 for just 100EUR more.

True but you can add the wireless charging on the 820 using a different back cover, and whilst the camera won't be quite as good as the 920 I'll wager it'll be fairly better than most other smartphones. I've an old 16GB microsd card that will combine with the 8GB internal memory to sort out any storage concerns. And finally the form factor: a bit smaller and lighter. I've a HD7 which seems feckin massive compared to my wife's Lumia 800 - I'm thinking I might prefer something closer to that in size. And the 820 might be up to €200 cheaper than the 920!

EDIT: pricing announced by Nokia Germany:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151032439860728&set=a.90954945727.96189.39262975727&type=1&permPage=1

€649 for the 920
    €499 for the 820

Kinda what I was expecting, and is still cheaper than the iPhone. €150 difference between the 820 and 920 makes it a tricky decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

Wireless charging will take alot longer to charge than a wire one. It'll be cool to brag about it to friends but you'll probably use the wire option once you realise how long it takes to charge with the wireless option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

actually has anyone ran the numbers on how efficient the wireless charging is and how much extra a year you would be paying to power the phone that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

rob180 wrote: »
    Wireless charging will take alot longer to charge than a wire one. It'll be cool to brag about it to friends but you'll probably use the wire option once you realise how long it takes to charge with the wireless option.

I'd imagine most charging will still take place with the micro usb connection, but there are obvious scenarios for wireless charging being handy, like on bedside lockers (where you have all night to charge it up) and on speaker docks, desk accessories etc.
    actually has anyone ran the numbers on how efficient the wireless charging is and how much extra a year you would be paying to power the phone that way

The Qi wireless standard is required to have a minimum 70% efficiency, but my main concern would be how much power the charging pad consumes when the phone isn't actually being charged on it (ie standby). Supposedly some charging devices can draw a negligible 0.0001w or something, but still you'd want to see some hard facts. I'm always plugging out chargers around the house since they use up some electricity even just being plugged in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

rob180 wrote: »

It's one of those things where once it takes off, it'll take off big-time. In the US, lots of airports, coffee shops and so on are going to have the charging pads available there. This would be really handy, imagine you could just easily charge your phone while sitting down for a sandwich or something. Until it does take off like that, it'll be a novelty, albeit a cool one.

Hmm... Bit odd that we still haven't heard of any Irish networks carrying lumias. Surely with Xmas on the horizon there will be an announcement soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭vicM

They are going for about 430 on amazon.de and I think its a very close call between it and its bigger brother, esp with expandable memory, and an AMOLED screen

Advertisement