Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Astra won't start - Clicking noise

Options
2»

Comments

Why buy a new one? An auto spark could recon your own if it's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 slouise14

Gonna take my battery out my astra and put it in the other halfs tomorrow to see if it is it, cuz surely won't start his too right?

We thought my battery was ok as his reads less than mine when tested straight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Solenoids sometimes click due to low battery. A failed starter motor is just one possibility, but not the only one.

I know what you mean I assume it's an Astra diesel she has and they are hard on batteries. Specially the newer model it's almost a given that the alternator and battery will need changing fails on them all. I have a 2008 1.3 version and it recently got a new alternator. But the battery was crap in it Would struggle to start engine and sometimes it wouldn't start at all. Never ever clicked however. But I was told by many the 1.3 was just a lazy engine to start. So I went in to motor factors last week got the next size up 70 amp bosch instead of 60 amp. 700 cca and old one had a 370 cold start value. It will not start first touch of the key it's unbelievable difference. Diesel take a lot to start so need a good decent sized battery. Where as you obviously get a way with a lot less on a petrol. Sorry for above post didn't think a dead battery caused a clicking thought that was normally starter motor.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Why buy a new one? An auto spark could recon your own if it's the issue.

Have been looking for one but we live out in the country, and he's a fair distance away. Partner works on farm so can't get away to even go there and I need my car as not insured on his, so quicker option was get it delivered here... and if it doesn't solve it we will have to bump it and take to garage... which I don't want to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Bpmull wrote: »
    Sorry for above post didn't think a dead battery caused a clicking thought that was normally starter motor.

The clicking is the solenoid closing its electrical contacts, and engaging the pinion gear. They do this every time you start your car, but is not clearly heard because of the sound of the starter motor turning the engine over at the instant the solenoid clicks.

If for some reason the starter motor wont turn, but the battery has enough charge to close the solenoid, then the clicking solenoid can then be heard.

So the clicking solenoid happens in a properly functioning car, it just cant really be heard when all else is working properly.

With a totally dead battery, nothing will be heard.

• Advertisement

Update - Battery is fine - Put it in partners Astra an started it fine.......

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sambucus

Hard to understand that post
    You have the car starting now? with original battery and starter motor?
    Or your battery starts your partners Astra, also diesel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

sambucus wrote: »
    Hard to understand that post
    You have the car starting now? with original battery and starter motor?

No they swapped battery from the problem car, to another car to test battery for starting other car. That shows the battery is ok with the starting load on it.

So it is the starter motor, or was the connections to it that is the likely problem.

Update - Car is running! Fitted new starter and still no start....

Turned out to be the fuse!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 freeweeler

hi im new to this site im having a similar problem with my 1.7 cdti astra 2007 was running fine went out to start it and it just clicks like battery dead also ignition lights flicker on of when key is turnd iv replaced battery and starter for new ones and still no joy it bumpsoff and runs ok but whont jump start iv also replace the earth strap and its still the same its doing my box in now and costing money can anyone help many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

freeweeler wrote: »
    hi im new to this site im having a similar problem with my 1.7 cdti astra 2007 was running fine went out to start it and it just clicks like battery dead also ignition lights flicker on of when key is turnd iv replaced battery and starter for new ones and still no joy it bumpsoff and runs ok but whont jump start iv also replace the earth strap and its still the same its doing my box in now and costing money can anyone help many thanks

Sounds like a seized starter motor. Not an unusual fault and usually easy enough to fix.

Advertisement