Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

air rifle advice

Options
  • 27-09-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

You have probably been asked this a hundred times but what type of air gun would you recommend. I was thinking of getting a spring powered one to cut out additional costs of pcp. Ive been reading up about the weinrauch hw80 which has good reviews. Has anyone here got one? Also would i need two permissions from farrmers for FCA1 form, i have one got (about 25acres) already,would i need a second one.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

I have owned a hw80 in .22
    Absolutely loved it, I would only recommend a spring powered air rifle if its only going to be used the odd time. The thing about air rifles is that they are highly highly addictive to shoot (as all guns are) but especially air rifles. In the long run it would probably pay you to get a decent pcp. I traded in my hw80 for a pcp and I am glad I made the change even though the hw80 was doing everything I wanted. Its just a pain to be breaking down the barrel, loading in a single pellet, locking the barrel into place. While you're loading 1 shot into a break barrel air rifle, a pcp could have 3 or 4 accurate shots taken.

All in all , hw80 excellent little gun for someone who isnt going to be doing a good bit of shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭slug gun

I am a huge fan of the HW range of air rifles. I have owned HW35's, HW55T's, HW77 and the legendary HW80 in both .22 and .177!

I personally find pcp's a bit clinical and with no personality, although very efficient and easy to shoot. Springers take a bit more attention to shoot consistently, but I find them way more fun and rewarding. There's also the benefit of no fuss with stirup pumps or dive bottles to worry about.. just break barrel to cock and away you go.

As I mentioned in another post, the HW80 can be transformed into a super, slick and powerful rifle, producing 20ft lbs at the muzzle in .22 with just a basic tune. Then the cocking stroke becomes a pleasure as it is so easy and smooth, as with the rest of the firing cycle.

I guess try and shoot both a pcp and an HW80 and decide then... but at least you've heard both sides of the story here...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 amjc1974

slug gun wrote: »
    I am a huge fan of the HW range of air rifles. I have owned HW35's, HW55T's, HW77 and the legendary HW80 in both .22 and .177!

I personally find pcp's a bit clinical and with no personality, although very efficient and easy to shoot. Springers take a bit more attention to shoot consistently, but I find them way more fun and rewarding. There's also the benefit of no fuss with stirup pumps or dive bottles to worry about.. just break barrel to cock and away you go.

As I mentioned in another post, the HW80 can be transformed into a super, slick and powerful rifle, producing 20ft lbs at the muzzle in .22 with just a basic tune. Then the cocking stroke becomes a pleasure as it is so easy and smooth, as with the rest of the firing cycle.

I guess try and shoot both a pcp and an HW80 and decide then... but at least you've heard both sides of the story here...:D

Good points there slug gun!

I think ill be going down the springer route to avoid additional costs. What do you look out for when purchasing a second hand springer and what makes would you avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭slug gun

Ah, long answer needed there! But in short:

Check barrel for straightness, check compression chamber for bulging at transfer port end..this would indicate dieselling...bad news!

See it cocks smoothly and engages trigger. If it grates it needs lubing or has a collapsed mainspring. Keep pressure against barrel and decock it, you can check trigger that way. (But if an HW80, its got the Record trigger unit that not much can go wrong with).

Check sights are in tact and stock not cracked anywhere. Slight surface rust can be cured with 0000 wire wool and oil.

Check all screwheads! Mashed slots in screwheads indicate its been messed about by someone with the wrong tools! :(

Rather than say what to avoid, let us know what you have your eye on and I might be able to tell you what I know about them!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Where u even find one I'm looking to get into air rifles myself was going the hw way no one stocks em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 amjc1974

Wils110 wrote: »
    Where u even find one I'm looking to get into air rifles myself was going the hw way no one stocks em

I know the feeling....ive rang around most of the dealers i can find and no one has one...either new or second hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

A lot of the rfds said they order them in no problem but if they get from uk which a few said they did your getting the 12ftlb not the fac 18...I'm prob going head up to newry check out tannyoky they have a few but the hassle of getting a import licence to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Wils110 wrote: »

Give Ian Jameson a call, he will sort you out and probably has stock at present as I bought some Weihrauch stuff from him recently. Total gentleman to deal with

Aim and Swing

Killyfassey, Mountnugent, Co. Cavan.
    Tel: (049) 8540131 or (087) 2750826

I need ed a mod for my PCP and he sorted me out within 24 hours, could expect anything better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Ian has the best selection anywhere, without a doubt - and you can't go wrong with the HW's. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

After getting advice on this site and searching all over the place in the south went to Aim and Swing about 4 months ago and he also had no stock in Air rifles / went to Tannyoky in Newry and couldn't believe the selection - hw100s t k - I bought an Air arms 510 xtra fac off him- nice chap Cecil to deal with - should have import licence soon hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

HW90 is wicked, never loses power leave it cocked for hours, very powerful!!
    :D hard to cock on full 26 very accurate very funnnnn!!!!

Neil @ crescent sports monkstown Dublin, can get HW90'S if interested or any other HW,
    go for one with Iron sights Just incase you wanna use em some HW's Don't have Iron sights at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Can vouch for the '90 as well - auld boy has one and so does a neighbour. Great rifle.

Advertisement