Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM Austria 2013 bike shipping

Options
  • 27-09-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

I've travelled to Klagenfurt twice, I don't like bringing my bike on the plane. Its a pain in the b0ll0cks.

I looked into organising shipping but I would need a minimum number to make it affordable. Idea being bikes dropped to a point, shipped, picked up from and point and the same on return.

If you are interested, or know of people who might be interested. Either PM me, or email me (tunney@gmail.com)

I hate flying with bikes.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A wise move. Quite a few were delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Oryx wrote: »
    A wise move. Quite a few were delayed.

Guessing Aer Lingus?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Great idea. I remember with Hamburg a few years ago Wicklow Tri shipped about 20 bikes with DHL. To be fair I think TI had a hand in helping organise it too as it was AG champs.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

tunney wrote: »
    Guessing Aer Lingus?

Not entirely sure. Think some were easyjet, offloaded because too many were booked for certain flights.

My friend in logistics who it's going to organise all this if we get numbers tells me it would also be cheaper to throw good luggage in the container than book in on a plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

i sent you a PM. Possible three for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 drjmcd

Hi Lads I would also be interested. I think I might also have 5 from Tryone who might be interested.

An update.

I have the numbers roughly in. To be viable it would need to be 25 minimum to go and then you are looking somewhere 170-180 for a bike and a bag to be shipped.

Container leaving the Monday and returning the following Wednesday.

I really really want this to work as it means flying hassle free.

drjmcd wrote: »
    Hi Lads I would also be interested. I think I might also have 5 from Tryone who might be interested.

Would mean dropping off and collecting in Dublin? let me know if I can still put you on the provisional numbers list

An update.

I have the numbers roughly in. To be viable it would need to be 25 minimum to go and then you are looking somewhere 170-180 for a bike and a bag to be shipped.

Container leaving the Monday and returning the following Wednesday.

I really really want this to work as it means flying hassle free.

Obviously the more I get the cheaper it gets.
    Every five people over 25 would bring the per person cost down 20-30 euro

• Advertisement

Would mean dropping off and collecting in Dublin? let me know if I can still put you on the provisional numbers list

Actually I am told that the Tyrone lads could drop the boxes/bags to Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 drjmcd

Actually I am told that the Tyrone lads could drop the boxes/bags to Drogheda.
    I also know of 8 heading over from Wicklow. Ill let the lads from Tyrone know and get back to you

• Registered Users Posts: 42 anfearruaaris

This might be the answer to some bike transport issues - http://bikeontime.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ship My Tri Bike

<Snip>

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_advertise
    Don't advertise your company

We strongly protect the conversational feel of this site. Interjecting your commercial message into that conversation is not only rude, counterproductive, against the rules but also a poor way to win customers, build goodwill and will ultimately get you banned.

We have two alternatives for commercial interaction with the community.

We have forum-targeted ads - you can find out more here.
    You can have your own forum for your own company/organisation - please contact us.
    Promotion is NOT our focus here, discussion is.

any update Tunney ?

Things were looking great with regard to numbers but a certain East Coast club has decided that they would like to pay 50 euro more to ship less (bikes not in boxes and no bags). Still trying to gather then numbers.

Going to have a go/no-go moment this day week.

Seems to be some competition in the market with at least one offering being a similar price and service.

Either way I should be reporting back with a shipping solution this day week. Whether its me fulfilling it or another company is a different question.

Things were looking great with regard to numbers but a certain East Coast club has decided that they would like to pay 50 euro more to ship less (bikes not in boxes and no bags). Still trying to gather then numbers.

Going to have a go/no-go moment this day week.

Seems to be some competition in the market with at least one offering being a similar price and service.

Either way I should be reporting back with a shipping solution this day week. Whether its me fulfilling it or another company is a different question.

nice one for the update.

well if numbers are crucial i could push it on the few in our club that are heading over ??

Not sure if this is related but we've just been approached by a new business Ship My Tri Bike which will have x4 locations around Ireland to facilitate bike collections for shipping to foreign triathlon races.

I'm a bit short on details such as timing and pricing but hope to hear more over the next few days.

Other than being a location of convenience, I've no commercial interest in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Not sure if this is related but we've just been approached by a new business Ship My Tri Bike which will have x4 locations around Ireland to facilitate bike collections for shipping to foreign triathlon races.

I'm a bit short on details such as timing and pricing but hope to hear more over the next few days.

Other than being a location of convenience, I've no commercial interest in this.

I know they have the cost detailed on their website and a lot of it makes sense but its eye watering the price of shipping it - €299. You would think once you have the flights, entry fee and accommodation paid off that the financial pain is almost over. I wonder if you had a few of the main TT bikes to hand in good fettle and an ability to get sizing set ups sent to you, could you make a few bob in offering them for rent, a little like the club hire sites. I suppose if you have trained like a dervish all through the winter, you would want your trusty steed by your side on the big day

catweazle wrote: »
    I know they have the cost detailed on their website and a lot of it makes sense but its eye watering the price of shipping it - €299. You would think once you have the flights, entry fee and accommodation paid off that the financial pain is almost over. I wonder if you had a few of the main TT bikes to hand in good fettle and an ability to get sizing set ups sent to you, could you make a few bob in offering them for rent, a little like the club hire sites. I suppose if you have trained like a dervish all through the winter, you would want your trusty steed by your side on the big day

299 ?? jesus thats mental...just for the bike ?

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »

yes it is eye watering pricey, I (when I say "I" what I mean is "I got something who is an expert in the area) researched the whole pricing. 25 bikes and bags with the bikes in boxes, paying the ferry fees, van hire, tolls, diesel, 8 days work for the driver, insurance for the load, worked out at €170 including a modest few quid for mr Fixer. So last on 25x130 there and you can see the profit in this venture. The more bikes I got the less the cost.

In software if someone finds a bug something that is often done is to describe it as a feature. In the case of a number of shipping offerings I've seen its "bikes don't have to be in boxes". Firstly security - not in a box equals damaged in my mind. Secondly no box, no extra stuff in the box. So now factor in the cost of an additional bag each way - another 60-80 euro.

Gets very very expensive and offers little additional security.

i wasn't prepared for this much extra cost - sickened

Sorry guys I missed that post in the thread, so was definitely not pushing or promoting that site.

miller82 wrote: »
    i wasn't prepared for this much extra cost - sickened

Its not worth it at the costs being discussed.

Last time I looked into IM Austria in 2010 was a crowd who quoted 299 as well. I decided to fly and pay the 80 euro and have the hassle of flying with it. The problem with Klagenfurt is that if you fly with a bike that rules out aer lingus and ryan air don't fly too close

Would it pay to hire a van and drive over & back? Or pay someone with a van to travel?

20 bikes in a van at €80 - €100 should easily cover costs and leave a bit of profit as a tip for the driver.

Would it pay to hire a van and drive over & back? Or pay someone with a van to travel?

20 bikes in a van at €80 - €100 should easily cover costs and leave a bit of profit as a tip for the driver.

I have the breakdown of costs for what Mr Logistics (aka short ar$e mac tiny man) did up for me

20 bikes is pricey - closer to €200. 25 bikes €170, 30 bikes €150

Van + fuel + tolls + ferry + diesel + insurance + driver

but for some reason people what to pay more for less!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I have the breakdown of costs for what Mr Logistics (aka short ar$e mac tiny man) did up for me

20 bikes is pricey - closer to €200. 25 bikes €170, 30 bikes €150

Van + fuel + tolls + ferry + diesel + insurance + driver

but for some reason people what to pay more for less!

It cost me €110 this year to Austria with Limerick Tri Club group. The Man With A Van charged €3k and 28 boxes fitted in. Great service and well worth it.

RedB wrote: »
    It cost me €110 this year to Austria with Limerick Tri Club group. The Man With A Van charged €3k and 28 boxes fitted in. Great service and well worth it.

28 bikes would make it cheap alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Someone is getting a nice payday out of those prices at €200:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Due to a lack of firm commitments from people and due to three commercial ventures appearing on the market I won't be organising this.

I wasn't ever planning on making money on this just wanted to get my bike to Klagenfurt without hassle. As it appears people want to pay more than I was going to charge for less service I'm not going to go with this. It would end up with me paying a small fortune out of my pocket to ship ten bikes over.

I know I am not leaving anyone in the lurch as I said there are a number of commercial ventures out there now.

Best of luck in the training.

Advertisement