Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comet Hale-Bopp

Options
  • 27-09-2012 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

It always astonishes me that none of my friends can remember the Comet in the Sky for (Months was it? - It seemed like it) back in 1996.

It also sadly occurred immediately before the digital revolution, so it although it was only a short time ago, there are very little quality photos of it on line, and I've yet to see it in a video.

I consider it to be the most remarkable terrestrial cosmic event in my lifetime, and I wonder what other peoples opinions of it are. I still have a clear recollection of how it appeared in the night sky and the enormous size of it as it gradually transversed the skyline, but no photos!!! :(

Does anyone have any good quality photos of it in an Irish Context - such as in a photo of a round tower, or with a cottage etc. Or against the silhouette of some beautiful scenery etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

It always astonishes me that none of my friends can remember the Comet in the Sky for (Months was it? - It seemed like it) back in 1996.

It also sadly occurred immediately before the digital revolution, so it although it was only a short time ago, there are very little quality photos of it on line, and I've yet to see it in a video.

I consider it to be the most remarkable terrestrial cosmic event in my lifetime, and I wonder what other peoples opinions of it are. I still have a clear recollection of how it appeared in the night sky and the enormous size of it as it gradually transversed the skyline, but no photos!!! :(

Does anyone have any good quality photos of it in an Irish Context - such as in a photo of a round tower, or with a cottage etc. Or against the silhouette of some beautiful scenery etc.

I personally dont remember it at i was 6/7 at the time so ye i put that blame onto my parents ha !

But thanks for mentioning the round tower , if all goes well next year we will have 2 comets to gaze our sights on and i certainly will try to remember that Glendalough tower would be a perfect composition for it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mannix80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Mannix80 wrote: »

WOW!!! I love the Roundtower one. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I remember it very well, It was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Bards

Remember it well, i also remember the mass suicide which was linked to it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven's_Gate_(religious_group)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I personally dont remember it at i was 6/7 at the time so ye i put that blame onto my parents ha !

But thanks for mentioning the round tower , if all goes well next year we will have 2 comets to gaze our sights on and i certainly will try to remember that Glendalough tower would be a perfect composition for it! :D

6 yo for Hale-bopp!! Holy ****, I never realised you are but a kid Mr Carruthers!! So you are even younger than that kid Weathercheck?!?! Seems like only yesterday he was a junior cert weather nerd with a weather forum rep nearly as bad as the banned lad from Coleraine :D Jaysus I'm getting old!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Remember looking out at it through my sitting room sliding door.

Ah the 90's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

i remember it but i didnt appreciate it at the time :( Whens it due back:cool:

ronan45 wrote: »
    i remember it but i didnt appreciate it at the time :( Whens it due back:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Calibos wrote: »

And well worth the wait. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

:eek:............................:(........................................:mad:

So eh guess thats that then:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Remember it well too. It was amazing to see it hanging in the sky night after night. I also remember that bunch of loons who took their lives because their ship was trailing Hale Bop waiting to take their souls away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Remember it well too. It was amazing to see it hanging in the sky night after night. I also remember that bunch of loons who took their lives because their ship was trailing Hale Bop waiting to take their souls away.

Where did this happen?

shizz wrote: »
    Where did this happen?

Google "Heavens Gate"

ronan45 wrote: »
    :eek:............................:(........................................:mad:

So eh guess thats that then:confused:

Thats why this news is exciting. Two reasonable chances of a similar or better show next Year. Panstarrs in March and Ison in December. Doesn't matter that they aren't the same comet as Hale Bopp.

These things are going to be harder to remember the name of though. Most comets these days are discovered by automated telescopes and special software. ie. The new robotic telescopes invariably discover the comets before a real person be they professional or amatuer astronomers. Ison and Panstars are the names of robotic telescopes.

"Hey remember the great comet of 2023? What was it called again? Ison 2424/C, no no, wait a minute, it was Ison 4215/GK, no no thats not right either....Eh??"

:D

In contrast, in the 90's most comets were still discovered by real people....Like Mr Hale and Mr Bopp. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Google "Heavens Gate"

Ah yes I think I remember hearing about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I must go and dig up my negatives. I have pictures of both Hale bopp and Hyakutake. Don't get excited though. I'm no Ansel Adams! And i don't have a film scanner...

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

A trip to the attic is in order to go through the negatives. I remember it well. Hopefully 2013 will be just as memorable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I think the Hale Bopp comet was 1997 and another one called Hyakutake was in 1996. Here are two photos i took with just an ordinary camera from my back garden of both. (Sorry for poor quality):o

199627.jpg
    Comet Hyakutake 1996

19975t.jpg
    Comet Hale-Bopp 1997

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Bards

shizz wrote: »
    Where did this happen?

see Post #6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

cool, ya I remember it well, was 16/17 !

I was in New Zealand early 2007, I remember every night you could trail of a comet it was huge and visible for the whole month I was there, amazing !
    Comet McNaught, also known as the Great Comet of 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2006_P1

1w1gg.jpg

Advertisement