Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books

• 27-09-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi folks..looking for help in ordering some darts books.anyone know of any good ones..or has anyone read Bristows?,Lowes?,Gullivers?..are they worth buying..or are there any good books which help with tips on practice,playing competitive etc etc.. need the titles so I can order them with a very helpful lady in my local Easons.thanks for any help

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

These two books aren't really about tips and practicing but they are excellent reads anyway.

Sid Waddells Bellies and Bullseyes is an excellent history of the sport of darts but the one I would really recommend is Murder on the Dartboard. It's a must read for darts fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DartBhoy1888

Ok thanks for that.are any of the autobiography's any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Wayne Mardel's book is a good read same as Bristow's. Read Bellies and bullseyes and the one on Taylor buy Sid Waddel. Check out your local library as they might stock them if you dont want to buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

I have read nearly all of books out there. My best 2 autos would be John Lowe's Old Stoneface (2nd) and to my surprise because it was the last one I bought Bobby Georges one. Great read. Did not rate him as a player till I read the book. get it and I am sure you will agree. Enjoy
    Also Murder on the dart is a must...addictive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

Mardle's was fairly good, bobby George's too. Also read a book where a guy spent a long time on the road with Jaws in his rise up the PDC ladder. It was a good read but can't for the life of me remember what it was called or where the book ended up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭elevendarter

I have 18 darts books now! I usually purchase them on www.awesomebooks.com. One I bought directly from Phil Taylor´s site (incl. signature which cost me a fiver more...). I am not english native speaker so I´ve been kind of using those books as a studying material :-) I am from Czech rep.
    I own all the books you mentioned here. Now I´ve been reading Murder.. My highest recommendation comes to the autobiography of Eric Bristow: The Crafty Cockney. The book should be filmed. What a story!
    Funny thing is that I have been reading nearly the same story again and again, just from different point of view:-) Points of view of Lowe, Bristow, George, Taylor, Waddel, Mardle. Interesting is story about Lloyd. I´ve recently bought The Viking by Fordham and now I see it on awesomebooks for better price. Nevermind.
    BTW, the book about Jaws is: Planet Darts by Niall Edworthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

I have 18 darts books now! I usually purchase them on www.awesomebooks.com. One I bought directly from Phil Taylor´s site (incl. signature which cost me a fiver more...). I am not english native speaker so I´ve been kind of using those books as a studying material :-) I am from Czech rep.
    I own all the books you mentioned here. Now I´ve been reading Murder.. My highest recommendation comes to the autobiography of Eric Bristow: The Crafty Cockney. The book should be filmed. What a story!
    Funny thing is that I have been reading nearly the same story again and again, just from different point of view:-) Points of view of Lowe, Bristow, George, Taylor, Waddel, Mardle. Interesting is story about Lloyd. I´ve recently bought The Viking by Fordham and now I see it on awesomebooks for better price. Nevermind.
    BTW, the book about Jaws is: Planet Darts by Niall Edworthy
    Ah that was the Jaws book alright. Didn't realise there was so many books about darts. I guess it'd be a good way to learn English .... though sometimes their language can be a bit colourful. I must try the Fordham book sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

I thought Andy fordham's one, while enjoyable to read was the poorest of the lot. The writing was just not that good and the amount of times that he referred to people as the nicest person he had ever met drove me crazy.

Advertisement