Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Maths and Economics at home.

• 27-09-2012 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, i'm repeating LC this year and i would like to ask you how hard would it be to study HL Maths at home? There's no such option at my repeat school and i need HL Maths for the course i'm doing, i'm really determined to do it.

Unfortunately there's also no option of doing economics in my school, and i would like to take it up with higher level too.

I would like to achieve at least c3 with maths and as high points as i can with economics.

What do you recommend, do you have any tips on how should i achieve it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

Did you do HL Maths the last time you did your Leaving Cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kevvq

No i didn't, but i am a quick learner when it comes to maths.

Kevvq wrote: »
    No i didn't, but i am a quick learner when it comes to maths.

Why didn't you do HL the last time so? Personally, I don't think it will be possible to teach yourself HL Maths at home, without the help of a teacher, especially in one year and having done OL Maths for the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kevvq

I didn't really care so much before : /, and now i really need it, do you guys have any tips and recommendations regarding what should i do to score best points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

I've taken up HL maths this year for the first time (repeating). I'd say it's an extremely risky move, and that's WITH a teacher and a weekly grind. If you're thinking of doing it alone I would think that your other subjects would suffer greatly.. but If you're determined check out www.khanacademy.org he might be able to help you out on the trickier sections of the course.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Find a night class for HL Maths and go to it. I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself at home. It would be much easier with some guidance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 sixtynine2

ConorCBS wrote: »
    Why didn't you do HL the last time so? Personally, I don't think it will be possible to teach yourself HL Maths at home, without the help of a teacher, especially in one year and having done OL Maths for the last couple of years.

Smug much? You can do anything if you really put your mind to it. I taught myself A level maths without a teacher and got a B grade having only achieved a C in Ordinary in the Leaving 8 years ago. OP, study A level maths instead, it's worth more CAO points(150 for an A*), it's not a complete mess of a course in comparison to the Irish exam, and you only need an A in GCSE maths to take it. You have to put in the hours though. No way around that.

sixtynine2 wrote: »
    Smug much? You can do anything if you really put your mind to it. I taught myself A level maths without a teacher and got a B grade having only achieved a C in Ordinary in the Leaving 8 years ago. OP, study A level maths instead, it's worth more CAO points(150 for an A*), it's not a complete mess of a course in comparison to the Irish exam, and you only need an A in GCSE maths to take it. You have to put in the hours though. No way around that.

How am I being smug? The OP asked a question, I gave my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Can you do that even though every other subject you're doing is from the Irish curricula? It seems very unfair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 sixtynine2

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    Can you do that even though every other subject you're doing is from the Irish curricula? It seems very unfair.

You should be able to sit the exam externally and aggregate your marks with your LC, so you would sit say 6 subjects and do your A level in maths. There is a place in Leeson Street that do it at least twice a year, though the rules might have changed. I will try to clarify this 100%, but it should be possible if you sit it in one sitting.

FWIW - Project Maths isn't even set in stone. The marking is entirely provisional, and they aren't sure how to allocate marks themselves yet. It's a big gamble really. Unlike every other LC Subject, Maths is causing some controversy.http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0831/1224323383153.html

Proceed with caution. You don't have the benefit of a stable course like I had. Just keep all your options open. They won't be the ones opening that results sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Proceed with caution. You don't have the benefit of a stable course like I had. Just keep all your options open. They won't be the ones opening that results sheet.

Well, I'll be continuing with the Irish course myself and am fully aware of the controversy over Project Maths. I'm just surprised that people are allowed to aggregate their grade from a different curriculum with their LC. Like I said before, it's unfair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seems rather unfair that you can't combine two LCs, but you can combine two different exams.

Does anyone know is it actually allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

study A level maths instead, it's worth more CAO points(150 for an A*)

Does A level maths get the 25 bonus points making an A* 175 CAO points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You should be able to sit the exam externally and aggregate your marks with your LC, so you would sit say 6 subjects and do your A level in maths. There is a place in Leeson Street that do it at least twice a year, though the rules might have changed. I will try to clarify this 100%, but it should be possible if you sit it in one sitting.

I contacted CAO to check this and the answer was no, you can't add LC and A-Level points together. At best the A-Level Maths might be accepted by colleges for matric purposes but not points.

It wouldn't make sense to allow you to combine A-levels and LC when you can't combine FETAC and LC seeing as FETAC is an Irish qualification and GSE/ GCSE's aren't.

The only way you can use A-level points is if you are applying on the basis of A-levels only.

Advertisement