Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonisphere 2013??

• 27-09-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭

So with the announcement of 3 HUGE Headliners for Donington, and the cancellation of this year's Soni, what do people think of the chances of it going ahead next year?

I reckon, and this is purely my own way of thinking, that there isn't enough bands in the Rock world to make 2 quality 3 Day festivals, and have people fork out close to a grand (tickets, travel & spends) for both festivals.

What the UK lacks is a quality 1 day festival, they've always sold extremely well, and as it's just a 1 day thing the line up could be amazing.

Milton Keynes Bowl is an ideal venue, probably the best outdoor venue i've ever been in, it's natural amphitheatre lay out doesn't ve anyone a bad view

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I can't see Sonisphere being able to find the bands to make it happen next year tbh. They could call up perennial touring favourites(and Soni stakeholders) Metallica but they've been around so much in recent years that they wouldn't be a killer draw.

Not sure if it was Coppings intent to destroy Sonisphere(in the UK) but the last Download line-up and next years i reckon will do just that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

lord lucan wrote: »
    I can't see Sonisphere being able to find the bands to make it happen next year tbh. They could call up perennial touring favourites(and Soni stakeholders) Metallica but they've been around so much in recent years that they wouldn't be a killer draw.

Not sure if it was Coppings intent to destroy Sonisphere(in the UK) but the last Download line-up and next years i reckon will do just that.

I think we can safely say that was his intention, and he's done it pretty well too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I don't think this years download line up will be quite as good as last years, where they clearly went way, way out of their way and pockets to destroy Sonisphere. But it's a class start already.

I reckon Sonisphere could be on again in 2014 or something though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭rebel89

Can't see it happening really. A lot of people were burned badly when it was cancelled last year too, just glad I hadn't bought a tent, that was about the only thing I hadn't bought though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

scudzilla wrote: »
    So with the announcement of 3 HUGE Headliners for Donington, and the cancellation of this year's Soni, what do people think of the chances of it going ahead next year?

I reckon, and this is purely my own way of thinking, that there isn't enough bands in the Rock world to make 2 quality 3 Day festivals, and have people fork out close to a grand (tickets, travel & spends) for both festivals.

What the UK lacks is a quality 1 day festival, they've always sold extremely well, and as it's just a 1 day thing the line up could be amazing.

Milton Keynes Bowl is an ideal venue, probably the best outdoor venue i've ever been in, it's natural amphitheatre lay out doesn't ve anyone a bad view

What do you guys think?

It could go ahead alright, but with the quality of headliners Download has(despite my dislike of Slipknot), it would be a hard draw for them to mount a challenge. That and the doubt cast over it because of last year makes it seem unworkable.

In saying that, competition is good, so a rival 1 day mini-fest would work well if sold correctly.
    scudzilla wrote: »
    I think we can safely say that was his intention, and he's done it pretty well too!

Well it may have been his intention to beat the competition li,e in all business, but it was helped by other circumstances. He needs to cement the place as leading rick/metal fest, and this year is first time in consecutive years its shaping up well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I want Sonisphere back :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Sonisphere will not happen in 2013 in the UK

Sonisphere will not happen in 2013 in the UK

How do you know?

Based on the last two tweets, I have hope:
    SonisphereSonisphere
    Toodoolooo Just been sent an email of interest, anyone got any artwork ideas ?

They're also retweeting people suggesting they should get a poster, and taking CVs for people who want to work at the fest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Hopefully it will be back, even as a 2 day fest. Rammstein is my only interest at DL.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Based on the last two tweets, I have hope:

They're also retweeting people suggesting they should get a poster, and taking CVs for people who want to work at the fest :D

Hmm might send me oul CV for the laugh

From overdrive.ie
    After famously cancelling last year due to “a weak economy and some bad luck”, it looks like organisers of the UK leg of Sonsisphere are getting ready to dust themselves off and pick up the pieces in 2013. Overdrive has come across a cryptic announcment that can be found on the festival’s official website – sonisphere.co.uk – has been updated, with a giant image on the page saying “Coming Soon To Your World”. See the image up top. This was also announced via a tweet on the official Sonisphere Twitter account, which you can view at the bottom of this page.

UK paper Welwyn Hatfield Times believe an announcement for the first lot of acts “is expected this side of Christmas, and possibly in the next few weeks” following the website update. No official dates have been locked in yet.

After three big years, Sonisphere’s 2012 UK leg at Knebworth Park in July was cancelled two months out, and was set to feature Queen + Adam Lambert, Kiss and Faith no More.

Rival metal festival Download has locked in Iron Maiden, Rammstein and Slipknot as their headliners for the June 14-16 event at Donnigton Park in 2013. Last week, they added acts including 30 Seconds to Mars, Moterhead, Alice in Chains and Queens of the Stone Age.

Fans on the eFestival forum are predicting Pearl Jam are a good chance to be one of the headliners after they were heavily rumored for Download, before Slipknot took their spot. Meanwhile, those on the Sonisphere UK forum are throwing Bon Jovi, Aerosmith and Muse into the mix. Although these bands are based purely on speculation, Overdrive will be keeping our ears to the ground for any further information on this story.

It will be very interesting to see who Sonisphere snares for 2013. Their next installment is obviously the most important year in its short history. Watch this space!!!

As confirmed by head promoter Stuart Galbraith at the UK Festival Awards event yesterday, Sonisphere UK WILL be returning in 2013, with an announcement due soon.

“We’re working on a bill now, hopefully to announce before Christmas,” Stuart is quoted as confirming on the BBC. “Cancelling it last year was a hiccup.” Stuart also admitted that announcing this year’s bill in February was “too late”.

I'm actually..... quite surprised.

Yup me too. Pleased to see they'll have stuff announced before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Was at Hard Rock Hell this weekend, heard from quite a few sources that what i said about it being a 1 day festival in the OP is spot on.....and Kiss/Motley Crue will be headlining ;)

Very good. Can you also guess the exact angle at which my hat is tipped to ya? :p

Would love if we got a Kiss/Crue show but we never will:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Oooh!! I missed KISS when they were here... Oooh!! This could be something to ponder over ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Nice one!
    Even a 2 day event would be grand.

• Advertisement

Just confirmed that they're cancelling it this year too.

Great announcement thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well worth the wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Advertisement