Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unmotivated 5th Year class

• 27-09-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

This year I have a 5th year French class of Higher level and Ordinary level students. I am finding it very tough to get them motivated.

The majority of them have a negative attitude towards both me and the subject. Getting the majority of them to participate in lessons is not easy. I'm often answered with a grunt or a simple "I dunno" (I don't care kind of thing).

Everything seems to be a struggle and as a result I feel that the atmosphere in the classroom is far from pleasant! Also it feels like when I end lessons and recap that most of them haven't retained much of the lesson content. Most definitely this is having an impact on my confidence as a teacher with this year group. I have had Higher Level 5th year French classes before and I coped fine but I just find this mix of levels a struggle.

I was just wondering if anyone has had a class like this before and how they managed the situation. Any advice would be grateful as I don't want this to last for the school year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Hi,

I have a mixed group for English. They are very divided even to the point of sitting at opposite sides of the room ( higher on one side, lower on the other). I found them hard to work with for the first couple of weeks but they're warming up now.

Could be just a period of getting to know you etc?

I try not to push too hard for work some days and get a debate or chat going about issues in whatever we're reading - this livens them up a bit.

I also found when I went with a negative attitude towards them it backfired, so I go in smiling everyday, have a quick chat with a few and when they're working on something go around and help individuals and encourage those who are not working or are struggling.

Getting to know them a bit works wonders. Maybe try getting them to write a bit about themselves in french or on a topic they like.

I had a small group of 5th years last year for SPHE and they were a nightmare - all girls and just really cold. I often sensed that they didn't trust each other. It took a long time to get them to warm up to me. I feel your pain, it's a horrible feeling.

Hope you find something that works.

Oh, could also try some pair work, group tasks.... possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Games. Match words to pictures, board games, name 5 things that start with A or D or name 5 verbs. That kind of thing works well as a starter and if you make it easy weaker students feel they know more and will work more.You could then introduce harder or boring aspects. I also did everything in PowerPoint format with bright colours, funny images etc to capture interest.

If they are anything like OL French groups I have had, you need to get them confident at speaking. Literally go back to practicing j'aime le sport and build to paragraphs.

Other French teachers may disagree, but I give OL loads and loads of help with reading tasks until about Christmas. We translate the text and use dictionaries in class so that answering the questions for homework is easy. The students are motivated when they see the red ticks in the copies the next day. By Christmas they will hopefully have learned to work with you and you can wean them off the help from you.

Not a nice situation but it will all change if you build confidence andget them to work with you. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

Thanks for the replies..

Things have slightly improved over the last week or so. I have found that using Powerpoint/videos/activities as resources is fun for them and keeps them alert and tuned in. In relation to the games mentioned (matching etc), I just feel the Higher Level students in the class would be totally bored with it.

Saying that when we were revising numbers last week, several students were giving me the cold attitude as if to say "why is she covering this baby content with us" but when I tested those students they didnt know them!!

I just find it frustrating! Also trying to get them to make an effort with their written work is near impossible for some of them. I have first year students who would write more for me. I dont know is this their standard, or are they just taking the piss with me and being lazy! I keep encouraging them and ensuring that they know I have high expectations of them but I dont think it makes any difference!!

I suppose its just one of the joys of teaching. Its gonna be a long year pulling the weaker/lazy students through the lessons!!

Not sure if this would work but would you try mixed ability grouping?

I'm going to try it tomorrow with first years.I'm teaching them about answering comprehensions (PQE English teachers) and some get it and other's don't. I'm pairing the strong ones with the weak ones and giving them a short task to do.

I know my terminology is not PC but you get the idea.

I'm hoping the students who find the work easy will bring the stragglers along.

Also I find with my 5th years a seating plan where the abilities are mixed throughout the room works well. They have a tendency to group together ( ones who want to do higher on one side, the ones who are ordinary on the other) breaking this up helped me tackle them.

I'll see how the pair work goes down with the first years tomorrow. :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement