Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby shrimp

Options
  • 27-09-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I have baby shrimp in my tank!!! Ridiculously excited :) It's as if they suddenly decided to make an appearance today, I saw one and within in 10 mins I could see at least 6. I really didn't think the shrimp were going to breed

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Congrats!

I waited ages for mine to breed, then there was a shrimplosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Grats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm looking for your advice :)

I've just set up a 54 ltr tank for shrimp .does anyone have any idea as to how many shrimp I could keep in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

scwazrh wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm looking for your advice :)

I've just set up a 54 ltr tank for shrimp .does anyone have any idea as to how many shrimp I could keep in it?

Shrimp have a really low bio output, so dozens would be the answer there!

The following website is a really good tool is calculating your stocking levels, fish compatability, etc.
    www.aqadvisor.com/

I tried it out for your tank, and for me it says you could have up to 100 in there!

But a lower level around 50 would be best for space, food, etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I wouldn't stock a shrimp tank to the max straight away, remember they breed a lot so stock lightly at the start and within a few months you'll be seeing more and more.

I recently had a massive population die off in my 25L, I went from 100's down to about 5 or 6 because I didn't remove the overstock and I didn't swap out shrimp for new shrimp ( you need to keep the gene pool strong, so it's advised to trade shrimp to avoid genetic defects) so that's something to keep an eye on way down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Silverfish wrote: »
    ( you need to keep the gene pool strong, so it's advised to trade shrimp to avoid genetic defects) so that's something to keep an eye on way down the line.

Actually that's a good point. Anyone in Dublin northside wanting to swap shrimp??

Advertisement