Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing hard drive - questions.

• 27-09-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Last month my keyboard on my HP laptop starting working on and off - every so often the space bar, enter and most of the keys on the right side would stop working for a while. I finally brought it to a repair shop and they rang today and said it's the hard drive that's the problem and they will need to replace it.

I have very limited knowledge about this so am a little lost. They said they'll replace it with a 250GB one(as far as I know the current one is 500GB).

Is 250GB too small? Will it be slower?

Would it be possible to buy a 500GB one or above and replace it myself. How much would a pretty good one cost? Where to buy it?

I am assuming I will lose everything on my laptop when it is changed?

Comments

I work in a repair shop and that sounds more like a keyboard (or cabling) fault than the hard disk. Might want to get a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

alroley wrote: »
    Last month my keyboard on my HP laptop starting working on and off - every so often the space bar, enter and most of the keys on the right side would stop working for a while. I finally brought it to a repair shop and they rang today and said it's the hard drive that's the problem and they will need to replace it.

I have very limited knowledge about this so am a little lost. They said they'll replace it with a 250GB one(as far as I know the current one is 500GB).

Is 250GB too small? Will it be slower?

Would it be possible to buy a 500GB one or above and replace it myself. How much would a pretty good one cost? Where to buy it?

I am assuming I will lose everything on my laptop when it is changed?

bring it somewhere else

Run diags yourself on it first and see if the hard drive fails . If it doesn't it is like the other poster said cables , keyboard etc or the motherboard. Very odd that a flakey hard drive would cause only some of the keys not to respond , all of the keys for a couple of seconds yeah but not particular ones. Back up your data before bringing it to another shop aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Thanks guys - will try to bring it somewhere else tomorrow.

I am in a bit of a rush to get it fixed though so am contemplating just letting them replace the hard drive and hoping that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Wow so apparently the guy who rang me was talking about someone elses laptop and he rang me instead of them.

My laptop just needs a new keyboard - but have to wait until Tuesday now :(

You were all right about it not being the hard drive! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

My faith in repair shops has now been restored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

thought i'd bump this rather than start a new thread.

I've got dell inpspiron 6400 which I love dearly. I'm thinking of replacing the hard drive as the one I have is only 60gb which is smaller than some peoples phones at this stage. As i'm usually near capacity I find i'm spending way too much time deleting or tidying up files. So i've a couple of questions.

is this easy to do?
    how do i go about backing up my existing files etc?
    are there any recommendations as to what to buy? (i've seen some on memory c and they look quite affordable)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Yes its easy to do.

Make sure the hard drive you buy is the same connection and physical size as the existing one (SATA or IDE) if the laptop is old it might be an IDE drive.

Whenever I do this I boot from a USB stick into a Linux Distro, attach the new drive using a powered USB to SATA/IDE cable and use dd to clone the old drive to the new one.

If the new drive is larger that the old I use Gparted to expand the partition on the new drive to fill it.

Then take out the old drive and put in the new. The laptop will be exactly the same as it was before but with a lot more space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

You'll love it even more with a solid state drive, 120 GB drives are available for 70 yoyos (e.g. this Kingston 120 GB SSD, £63 @ Amazon). You don't have to worry much about transfer rates as you controller can only do SATA 150 but it will still be a massive improvement over any HDD.

P.S. don't clone a HDD to SSD, a clean installation is recommended for proper partition alignment and certain SSD specific settings will be automatically applied with a fresh installation (Windows 7 and higher).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Torqay wrote: »
    You'll love it even more with a solid state drive, 120 GB drives are available for 70 yoyos (e.g. this Kingston 120 GB SSD, £63 @ Amazon). You don't have to worry much about transfer rates as you controller can only do SATA 150 but it will still be a massive improvement over any HDD.

P.S. don't clone a HDD to SSD, a clean installation is recommended for proper partition alignment and certain SSD specific settings will be automatically applied with a fresh installation (Windows 7 and higher).

thanks Torqay.
    would you recommend this one then?
    http://www.memoryc.com/storage/solidstatedisk/128gboczvectorsataiii25inchssd100000iops.html

I would prefer to clone though as I don't have the installation discs and just want more space, performance wise i'm ok I think. would this cause me trouble or is it just not recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

T-K-O wrote: »
    My faith in repair shops has now been restored

no, the repair shop guy just reads boards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

bluefinger wrote: »
    thanks Torqay.
    would you recommend this one then?
    http://www.memoryc.com/storage/solidstatedisk/128gboczvectorsataiii25inchssd100000iops.html

I would prefer to clone though as I don't have the installation discs and just want more space, performance wise i'm ok I think. would this cause me trouble or is it just not recommended

Nah, way too expensive. As I said, any cheapo SSD will do with a SATA I controller.

Of course you can clone/migrate but for optimal performace I'd reinstall the OS rather than carrying the garbage of an ancient Windows installation over to a new drive, whether that's a HDD or a SSD..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    no, the repair shop guy just reads boards
    Mistakes happen. Our repair counter on average juggles 10-30 service tags, all the paperwork is handled in homogenous-looking folders. I could easily see how a mistaken phone call might have taken place.

Advertisement