Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Australia rough?

• 27-09-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Just wondering why it seems that there's a lot of brutal crime stories involving Irish in Oz. I can think of 3 really brutal attacks off the top of my head...

1. Guy that was punched and died.
    2. Guy that was beaten with hammer recently.
    3. And now Jill Meagher.
    • Is it just that there's a lot of Irish there and chances are a few are unfortunately going to come across this? (But then again you don't hear of similar from the States, Canada or the U.K. where equally there are lots of Irish).
    • Is it that there's racism there towards Irish?
    • Or is it a rough place in general?
    Would love your experiences from Oz if you have any!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No it's grand. Apart from the dingos obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think the Australians have as much respect for Rabbits as People. That's a good thing as it means most of the people are good loving creatures but there are a few with no respect for life of any kind. There a bit like the Irish I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

In before JONJO THE MISER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I'd ask a bunyip for his opinion except those rough old Aussies hunted them to extinction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

No rougher than any other former penal colony really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

OP

there are more irish people in australia than ireland

these irish people were not targeted..

to answer your question.. n0.1 that you mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

One thing I've noticed when stories about violence are reported is the language and terms used to describe it all. Bashings, king-hit etc. It seems really bizarre to me, like why can they not just report these things as assaults?

Can you imagine RTE reporting a serious attack on somebody as 'A man was battered on Dame Street today'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I've nothing bad to say about the country and the people.
    Australian press I suspect will be taking note of Irish reaction to the latest sad news - so personally I would recommend being careful whats said.
    At least let it be truthful/accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Must be pot luck then ..............in the wrong place at the wrong time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I was there maybe 2002ish for a year and a bit and from what I seen it was pretty aggressive. No trouble myself but seen a good bit of violence but at the same time nothing worse than what you'd see in town on a Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

'A man was battered on Dame Street today'.

I'd say there was more than one today.

To Arthur, hic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's not as bad as Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Rough? Even their hamsters are rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Definitely not!

I lived there for a couple of years 2003-2005 (why the fcuk did I come home?)

They have much more respect for their country, as in its wildlife and fauna than we have.

Every country in the world has its rough parts, or rough people.

We've had a few isolated incidents from Australia recently, but look at what happened in Norway last year?

Is Norway rough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

There are a very racist bunch from my experience but only towards to indigenous people of the continent and Asians.

A lot of the trouble towards the Irish is brought on by ourselves over, when I was there I grew to hate the Irish over, as they did nothing but cause trouble and drink too much and fight...also starting fights with cops for trying to fine them for pissing in public, things that are the law there and not here...That's not all Irish over there, but the majority from my experience.

http://wentworth-courier.whereilive.com.au/news/story/brawl-at-bondi-junctions-tea-gardens/

http://wentworth-courier.whereilive.com.au/news/story/sunday-bloody-sunday-1/

Majority of lads involved in the above article were Irish(know one or two from my time over...nobs the lot)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No disrespect to the victims or their families, but is it possible we only heard about these incidents because they were irish?

I dont know what the incident rate for vicious attacks/murder is in Australia, but we dont hear about their other incidents, the same as they would not hear about incidents here, unless the victim was Australian. What I'm saying is, their nationality just happened to be a very sad co-incidence, and they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

There are a very racist bunch from my experience but only towards to indigenous people of the continent and Asians.

A lot of the trouble towards the Irish is brought on by ourselves over, when I was there I grew to hate the Irish over, as they did nothing but cause trouble and drink too much and fight...also starting fights with cops for trying to fine them for pissing in public, things that are the law there and not here...That's not all Irish over there, but the majority from my experience.

http://wentworth-courier.whereilive.com.au/news/story/brawl-at-bondi-junctions-tea-gardens/

Majority of lads involved in the above article were Irish(know one or two from my time over...nobs the lot)

Eh, Pissing in the street may not be illegal in Limerick, but I'm pretty sure it is in the rest of the country :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JJLongford

Ghandee wrote: »
    Definitely not!

They have much more respect for their country, as in its wildlife and fauna than we have.

Every country in the world has its rough parts, or rough people.

We've had a few isolated incidents from Australia recently, but look at what happened in Norway last year?

Is Norway rough?

No. Not that I'd know of anyhow. One thing that strikes me is the brutality of these though. Especially brutal in that none of the attacked seemed to be involved with the attackers. Mix that with the 'rotten, drunken Irish' stereotypes the Ozzies seem to love (Channel 7 documentary in Bondi and the Katie Taylor references recently) I was just thinking was there any connection...

Maybe it is all just a coincidence that so many Irish have been fatally injured in one country in such brutal manners in such a short period of time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'd ask a bunyip for his opinion except those rough old Aussies hunted them to extinction!

Your thinking of the tasmanian tiger which was hunted to extinction in tasmania. With the last one dying in captivity in 1933!

Heres the last footage of it. It could open its mouth wider than any known mammal. There are still sightings of them from time to time in mainland austrailia and tasmania but if they exist their a lot more elusive now (as any animal hunted by humans becomes).

The bunyip was reported by the first settlers in Austrailia and long reported by the aborigines but its existence hasnt been confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've never been to Australia & don't want to either. It's not the country per se, but the accent. It does my fucking head in. If I was there for more than a day, I would either kill myself or cause a massacre. Or both.

Maybe that's why they have violent outbursts.. they just can't stand listening to each other's stupid accents - an accent that makes them sound like Americans with bad colds and mouthful of cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

IMO from living there for a bit over a year, they Aussies generally like the irish, for example in the hostel I lived in they loved the irish, but werent that found of the english the aussies in general seem to have that view, they are however really racist towards the asians and natives, in my time there didnt have a bit off trouble though, which i cant say happened on my first night home in my local town :mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Not as rough, to look at anyhow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

astonaidan wrote: »
    IMO from living there for a bit over a year, they Aussies generally like the irish, for example in the hostel I lived in they loved the irish, but werent that found of the english the aussies in general seem to have that view, they are however really racist towards the asians and natives, in my time there didnt have a bit off trouble though, which i cant say happened on my first night home in my local town :mad:

I will say that with some aussies racisim towards the first austrailians (aborigines) seems to be normal in their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Well, I've never been, but it's a big country with a large population and a large influx of immigrants and visitors. It's unfortunate but inevitable that people will run into trouble and that some of those victims will be of foreign extraction. Tourists and foreigners are always going to be targeted too. Bearing in mind, the UK has had more than its fair share of brutal and horrific murders - the Moors Murders, Ian Huntley, the Wests, Peter Sutcliffe, Steve Wright, etc. We could spend all night talking about all the psychos who have murdered people over the years in the US too. We still visit these countries anyway though.

Every country has its maniacs. It's not a good enough reason to mark it off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

"a bull frog?! I woulda called it a chazzwozzler!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rowz

Bit like the Cork bollocks then! Never met a more racist,IGNORANT,society in my
    life.So self contained it is scary!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Not really rough, but it is a very 'policed' state. Bouncers have been known to get fa.irly aggressive with people that have had too many coming to the door.

Aussies are a bit loud and brash, but then we're hardly the land of the meek here either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

One thing I've noticed when stories about violence are reported is the language and terms used to describe it all. Bashings, king-hit etc. It seems really bizarre to me, like why can they not just report these things as assaults?

Can you imagine RTE reporting a serious attack on somebody as 'A man was battered on Dame Street today'.
    I know. And it wasn't a man. It was two men. On talbot st.

Leeeaaaaavvvveee iiihhhhh bllleeeeediiin ooouuuhhh!!!!!

Eh, Pissing in the street may not be illegal in Limerick, but I'm pretty sure it is in the rest of the country :pac:

Sorry my mistake, i should have said laws that aren't enforced here in Ireland

• Advertisement

It's as much a fear that the country will be overran by Asian migrant workers as out and out racism. The amount of coverage that boat people trying to get into Australia is strange considering the few that try it.

Border Control?? (its on TV3) is an excellent example of this fear of Asians, there's always a lot of Asians stopped in that show every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JJLongford

Hidalgo wrote: »
    It's as much a fear that the country will be overran by Asian migrant workers as out and out racism. The amount of coverage that boat people trying to get into Australia is strange considering the few that try it.

Border Control?? (its on TV3) is an excellent example of this fear of Asians, there's always a lot of Asians stopped in that show every week.

I noticed that. I always wondered where the white people for deportation were hiding out. Nearly got me thinking the Asians were s*it at hide and seek!

it's called defending their much smaller population, with a view beyond themselves and their own mortality well into the future on an opportunistic island they should be seen to be doing so. Think japan, who have so little space left they'll all have to be stacked on top of each other anyhow. Thus invading japan, thus going mad for that wee rock

Personally I do t want foreigners even gradually trickling in because I don't like racist incidents in my country and can see the bigger picture beyond my own lifetime, though anyone here I accept like my algerian descendant friend. my vitriol is toward authorites / us jew media influence who think indigenous ethnicities being done away with to make way for one big blurred cluster**** is the way forward

Hidalgo wrote: »

Well openly abusing people because of the colour of their skin is disgusting...Its even worse when its done so openly and nobody cares...What kind of civilized country would allow this...suppose its not a surprise since the majority of none indigenous people are descended from criminals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

No, it's the opposite - full of rules, "do not..." signs, jobsworths and pen-pushers. In much the same way as America is not really "Glamorous and free". Aus is not carefree and relaxed, it's tightly policed and fairly nannyish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Is Norway rough?

Yes those vikings were f*ckin divils!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

JJLongford wrote: »
    Just wondering why it seems that there's a lot of brutal crime stories involving Irish in Oz. I can think of 3 really brutal attacks off the top of my head...

1. Guy that was punched and died.
    2. Guy that was beaten with hammer recently.
    3. And now Jill Meagher.
    • Is it just that there's a lot of Irish there and chances are a few are unfortunately going to come across this? (But then again you don't hear of similar from the States, Canada or the U.K. where equally there are lots of Irish).
    • Is it that there's racism there towards Irish?
    • Or is it a rough place in general?
    Would love your experiences from Oz if you have any!

The 3 aforementioned crimes are pretty much a weekly occurrence in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

madma wrote: »
    OP

there are more irish people in australia than ireland

No.

The 3 aforementioned crimes are pretty much a weekly occurrence in Ireland.

Women being raped and murdered and people being beaten to death with hammers are weekly occurrences in Ireland? News to me.

Pottler wrote: »
    No, it's the opposite - full of rules, "do not..." signs, jobsworths and pen-pushers. In much the same way as America is not really "Glamorous and free". Aus is not carefree and relaxed, it's tightly policed and fairly nannyish.

More over policed than tightly policed imo.
    The law is the law and that's that over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

it's called defending their much smaller population, with a view beyond themselves and their own mortality well into the future on an opportunistic island they should be seen to be doing so. Think japan, who have so little space left they'll all have to be stacked on top of each other anyhow. Thus invading japan, thus going mad for that wee rock

Personally I do t want foreigners even gradually trickling in because I don't like racist incidents in my country and can see the bigger picture beyond my own lifetime, though anyone here I accept like my algerian descendant friend. my vitriol is toward authorites / us jew media influence who think indigenous ethnicities being done away with to make way for one big blurred cluster**** is the way forward

Stormfront.org would be more to your liking I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I will say that with some aussies racisim towards the first austrailians (aborigines) seems to be normal in their heads.

No different to how many Irish people perceive the members of the traveling community, some people in Ireland think it's a perfectly acceptable form of racism but would never consider themselves racist. Always makes me laugh, and not in a good way.

Spent a year in Australia and traveled a lot, never had an ounce of trouble. But like anywhere, no doubt I would have found it fast enough if I had looked.

Women being raped and murdered and people being beaten to death with hammers are weekly occurrences in Ireland? News to me.

Maybe you should read a fcukin newspaper then. A week doesn't go by when someone isn't in critical condition or has died of head injuries from being set upon outside some fcukin pub or club. Maybe the rapes aren't a weekly occurrence but vicious violent attacks certainly are. What bubble you been living in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You've obviously not seen TV3's "Ireland's Toughest Auctions" :eek:

Maybe you should read a fcukin newspaper then. A week doesn't go by when someone isn't in critical condition or has died of head injuries from being set upon outside some fcukin pub or club. Maybe the rapes aren't a weekly occurrence but vicious violent attacks certainly are. What bubble you been living in?

You just calm yourself down.

Murders with hammers and women being raped and murdered are not weekly occurrences.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

You cannot compare the two Austrailia has so much more the population. So obviously it seems like there is more crime. I don't think it works out any more per head. No they are no more racist than any other nation. They are extremely proud of Austrailia and are usually blunt and down to earth. They like to rib each other to bits but it is actually just the Aussie sense of humour. They rip their mates apart. They hate molly coddling of any kind. And they are strict and firm regarding laws. It is a no BS society basically but thats all. No one is ever meant to give the impression that they are above anyone or expect special treatment.

They are generally pretty humble. And they are about 50/50 of British and Irish descent. They are not at all anti-Irish.

But behaving badly as a foreigner or a guest in their country is considered extremely offensive.

I think it is completely ignorant to assume anything about Austrailia based on this.

One horrible incident. Think of all the Austrailians who are helping police etc think of those who are shocked.

The language thing is simply Aussie Language and it pervades all levels of society they use slang ingeniously and it is used in society in a way that does not happen here. It means nothing disrespectful. It is a cultural thing and thats all. It says nothing about how people feel about these crimes or how Austrailian culture views them.

They are good people.

True enough with the aborigines, I guess but I don't know what the answer is for those. they don't have to live like that n I know their morale is low, due to repression but amenities are there n they don't have to live like that. Drinking petrol, for instance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

No worse than anyway else I'd imagine.

Lets not tar the whole country because of what that one scumbag did to Jill Meagher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Spent a year there and never had any trouble with anybody or seen any trouble for that matter. My apartment was down a dark laneway and I always felt safe walking around. The abos dont really bother you. Same can't be said for Dublin. ****in scum everywhere.

65 murders in Ireland in 2005.
    67 the following year.

52 weeks in a year. You do the math(s)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

True enough with the aborigines, I guess but I don't know what the answer is for those. they don't have to live like that n I know their morale is low, due to repression but amenities are there n they don't have to live like that. Drinking petrol, for instance
    Well, that's because it is so cheap, no, hold on. Nope. Everything you've posted there is tripe. And all your other posts. Utter, total, tripe. And that's coming from me! The tripe spewer. BTW, it's sniffing petrol, not drinking it, and they are sh4t upon beyond belief, hence the whole "despair" thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement