Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i bought second hand iphone 3gs from shop

Options
  • 27-09-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

i bought an iphone 3gs from a shop in town, when i was buying it he said it was unlocked to any network but said i couldn't updated it past IOS 5.1.1 , it was a jailbroken unlock, i said no thank you i thought it was apple unlocked but he convinced me to take it saying a 3gs won't be updated to IOS6 (a lie) and if i had any problem i could return it within 3months.
    the day i got home with it the volume rocker fell off the side, it had been glued on, also you could see the chrome lining around the phone also had been glued on. the phone keeps crashing, freezing and turns it self off, battery is gone in a few hours, has trouble charging and won't ring sometimes.

i brought it back, 1st explained how the volume rocker fell off to which he replied 'ah thats no bother, you can just glue that back on' ??????? what????
    then told him about all the other problems which he noted, then said come back in a few days and he'd have it repaired, i said no i want my money back but he said i signed a form saying he had to inspect it before a replacement repair or refund can be processed
    which is fair enough but if he tries to give that phone back to me repaired can i refuse because i don't think the repair is up to standard? i want my money back, do i have rights here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You have rights... pretty much the same as purchasing new within reason (e.g. there cosmetic damage wouldn't be an issue with second hand goods). That said are you going to be able to enforce those rights with this sort of outfit? I very much doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You have the same rights as if the item was brand new except for any flaws or damage which is pointed out to you before the sale is completed. There should not be bits falling off it or glued on parts, although you will be aware of any normal wear marks from examining the goods before sale.

You were sold a damaged phone by a cowboy which can't be updated as was claimed when you bought it, get your money back any way you can and try your luck on adverts.ie or in a reputable shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If a business sells second hand goods as part of their normal business - then you have the full set of consumer rights.

Advertisement