Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage Heaters

Options
  • 27-09-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

Can someone please explain to me about storage heaters as I am having trouble getting mine to work.

I have read a thread here explaining them but still can't get them working.

It seems that they are not getting any power at all. I have the following from my fuse board and am thinking that this might be causing the problem. Each heater has a fused switch with a light but they never light up.

Here's a picture from my fuse board. Does anyone know how to get it working? Do I need to adjust the timer on the right?

photo2eyx.th.jpg

photo1zg.th.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

they dont get any power until 11 pm... you could short out the contactor to see that the storage heaters are working
    also look up the manual of the devi controller and it will explain how to use the devi controller to test them....
    The nite meter may have become faulty over the summer but i wud rule out the storage heaters and contactor and switches beside them first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i would check the timing first
    in the meter cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭crookesa

M cebee wrote: »
    i would check the timing first
    in the meter cabinet

The last bill that came in had night units on it so I presume it's still working? I haven't looked at the meter yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭crookesa

they dont get any power until 11 pm... you could short out the contactor to see that the storage heaters are working
    also look up the manual of the devi controller and it will explain how to use the devi controller to test them....
    The nite meter may have become faulty over the summer but i wud rule out the storage heaters and contactor and switches beside them first...

To quote another thread on boards:
    The day dial should be set to the midway point. The 710-2 is an energy saving device, it takes the temperature from outside (using the outdoor sensor), based on that temperature the 710-2 then decides how many hours the storage heaters should be on for. So for example lets say the temp outside was 10 degrees. The 710-2 calculates that to maintain optimum temperature inside the dwelling the storage heaters should be on 6 hours instead of 8. The 710-2 then turns the power on to the heaters, however it is the last 6 hours of the off peak not the first so it might not come on until 2 in the morning. When you set the day dial to const you override this process, the outdoor sensor is ignored and the heaters are switched on for the full 8 hours.

So am I right in saying that I need to wait until 11pm when the night meter becomes active, set the devi controller to constant and then check to see if there is power getting to the fused switches regardless of whether the switch light is illuminated or not?

If there still is no power getting to the heaters, what next?

What do you mean by shorting out the contactor?

Advertisement