Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOW COME THERE IS VIRTUALLY NO GOOD MUSIC ON THE RADIO

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

It's always been pretty terrible. Nowadays people can listen to whatever they like when they like on the internet so the audience of people tuned into radio tend to be the types want the top 10 blasted at them all day. What's the benefit of catering for niches?

Of course our license fee should go towards creating a few TV stations and radio stations that don't measure their success in ratings and instead aspire to be culturally valuable. There's loads of fantastic Irish music out there at the moment and the outlets for it are very limited. This does exist to an extent in RNG, TG4 and Radio Na Life, assuming you don't mind listening to them chirping a few phrases in Irish or in the case of TV watching a few subtitles.

Must confess I'm not a fan of electro so I've found the last 5 years of pop music a bit of a trial. They'll move onto something else eventually.

Doubt it. Kraftwork are as popular as ever and they've been around for 40 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

started a new job recently and fm104 is usually on, it's bloody disgusting what it has come too!

-=al=- wrote: »
    started a new job recently and fm104 is usually on, it's bloody disgusting what it has come too!

That used to be Rock 104? And before that, Capital Radio?

Any of you remember the original Capital Radio when it was a pirate? Shockingly good, back in the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

old hippy wrote: »
    That used to be Rock 104? And before that, Capital Radio?

Any of you remember the original Capital Radio when it was a pirate? Shockingly good, back in the day :)

Just for clarification purposes, pirate Capitol Radio (with on "o") was in no way connected with Capital Radio, now FM104.... more's the pity! Similar name, but a different outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I like my hip hop and there is never any good songs played on the radio. The last one I heard was November 29th last year. I remember because it was The Game's birthday and they played "Hate It or Love It" for him. How nice of them. Haven't heard anything even half decent since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

My favourite station is Dublin City F.M. all kinds of Real music also on line www.dublincityfm.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I haven't heard to conventional radio in years. In Greece (where I come from) radio is an absolute bore (the same playlists all over the board-at one occasion I heard the same song in 4 different stations in 15 minutes), so I didn't bother with the Irish radio at all.
    Have recently started listening to online radios. I can recommend Strangeways radio: I haven't heard an actual show (I think they are American and with the timezones hasn't happened) but I find their playlists brilliant - kind of random but wide selection of songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

BBC6 all the way. It's the reason i bought an internet radio.
    Keaveny is very funny, laverne's show is always excellent too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Another vote for BBC6, Craig Charles funk and soul is a great way to kick off a Saturday night.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Another vote for BBC6, Craig Charles funk and soul is a great way to kick off a Saturday night.

Apart from his annoying habit of yammering over tracks and behaving like he's on one :rolleyes:

A great show despite the man.

Sunday is the best day for 6. Am off to see Huey and his new band next month, can't wait!

• Advertisement
Advertisement