Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Design/development courses?

Options
  • 27-09-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey all,

I'm a leaving cert student who is a bit worried about what I'm going to do in college. I would love to do a game design or development course. I am more interested in the art, graphic and design area of game development but I am having a hard time finding a course that is even 50/50 between the artier stuff and the programming.

I was almost sure that I was going to go to IT Carlow but I heard that it was very programming orientated and didn't really focus on the graphics side as much.

I am currently looking at the Computer science course in DIT as in the 3rd and 4th year you can somewhat specialize on the game development stuff.

I have briefly looked at courses in Tralee, Dundalk, Athlone, Limerick and Thurles but they are not really appealing to me.

I would rather do a 4 year level 8 degree.

I would love to hear what you guys think and about some of your own experiences and if you have any pros or cons about games development courses you are taking.

Thanks for any feedback :D

Add me on xbox live or send me a message if you want to talk about it.

My Gamertag is: Redstone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 huggie_bear

yeah i had the same problem, i was good at art and wanted to do concept design for games development. I couldn't find the sort of course i was after and eventually settled for a 3 year computing course in it carlow. I know, a far cry from what i originally set out to do, and this is what i started in doing college this year. after i had given up looking for a concept design course and about a week before the cao offers came out, i was looking at a lord of the rings special features dvd where i saw a guy on it (cant remember his name sorry) who did some of the animation in the lord of the rings and later avatar, he was from ireland and studied in a art college in ballyfermot dublin which had a concept design course and various other design and development courses.At this point it was to late for me to apply due to the cao coming out a week later plus i would need a portfolio in order to be even considered.
    Now i cant remember the exact name but if you google it you should find it, a guy i know is also going there to study tattoo design. hope this helped you a bit, maybe this might be the place for, only wish i found it sooner.

ps. good thing you researched the game development course in carlow it because if your any way like me and only like the arty side of games its not the course for you, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I would suggest to do something in art instead of computer science, well only if you want to program games :)

Advertisement